Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in Fall 2022- Spreading lies and bullshit to the media.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
re: non-wrestling products to keep AEW fans around

Given that the shows are still match-match-promo-match, and it's often the same folks cutting the promos, copy the ReAction formula of docu-style character pieces (and keep it in kayfabe). MJF talking shit on Mox while he's recreating some of those vintage Million Dollar Man sketches, the Acclaimed and Daddy Ass hitting the clubs, Jericho tour videos with Fozzy, etc. You can expand the characters and add heat to the main shows without just focusing on "this has to be a match" (especially when half of the matches are the same format and spots).

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
All I can think of:
Renee getting a cooking show
A Fozzy reality show
Extended and well produced versions of Danhausen's YouTube stuff
Keith Lee and Mia just hanging out doing lowkey well adjusted wrestler stuff
Total Bryan
Taz travel logs
Video versions of podcasts where they go into non wrestling stuff

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Bennett and Maria, they would've been awesome in the early days when they needed those kind of stars. Maria honestly has a ton of value still, I think, when it comes to input or booking of the women's division. She knows her shit. Bennett is a hard miss.
I've heard this before, but I would take it as a kindness if you could refer me to a signature match/storyline that Maria had a hand in booking?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Being around for 20 years, working every position, and being a lifelong fan absolutely counts for something. I would much rather trust that than whoever decides who Britt Baker derails as soon as they show up, or when Omega had no idea what he was doing beyond pusing his girlfriend Shida and protege Riho (and I like Shida). Maria's seen women's divisions from the diva days to the knockouts and traveled the world. She is more than qualified for a test run.

Besides I did say input or booking, not that she'd run everything by herself. That would be silly unless she's a female Heyman or something.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I can't comment on her booking prowess, but she was in charge of the ROH Women's division for the last year it existed, and I remember hearing some decent reviews of it overall.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've heard this before, but I would take it as a kindness if you could refer me to a signature match/storyline that Maria had a hand in booking?
Heyman said she helped him book shows when he was running OVW and she was in charge of the womens divison in ROH, which was actually pretty good.

Last edited:

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Besides what has been mentioned about Maria's experience, she also has her own women's promotion out of Chicago. So she's more than qualified to help out with the AEW/ROH women's division. I'm still scratching my head how Madison Rayne was the go-to in building the division internally, so hopefully this is a shift from that as I've seen little to no change since they hired on Rayne as a consultant/agent/whateverthefuck

And going back to the discussion on ROH talent diluting the television, etc, I do think there may be something to that. I sure have found myself less than enthused on some of the booking decisions relating to ROH title matches taking prominance on AEW TV far too often lately. I get it, in the bubble they are thinking pushing ROH titles more on AEW tv should theoretically make them more relevant, etc, but the fact of the matter is that its taken things really off course and off focus week to week in the programming.

I really wish they would just waste no further time and just turn Dark and/or Dark Elevation into ROH exclusive programming NOW. Dynamite and particularly Rampage need a better structure, revamping, whatever you want to call it, seperating from ROH stuff. To do that, you will need to establish immediately a ROH roster and an AEW roster seperately as well. Why they haven't done this yet is beyond me, but it needs to happen ASAP. If you want to keep a top tier of guys like Jericho, Danielson, Claudio, etc essentially on both brands (but no more ROH title bouts on AEW TV, please) go ahead, but keep some of these much lower tier talent off AEW weekly TV and shift them exclusively to the former Dark or Dark Elevation tapings.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For free? Damn, EC3 was out here making good money on that idea, and Tony's giving it away for free?! Dude just doesn't understand THIS business.
There's probably going to be way more dorky butt sniffers at a free Tony Khan meet & greet then people angry at him. Either way, there's high potential for unintentional comedy in Jacksonville this week.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I think the ROHbots and TK apologists just assume a potential ROH would actually have guys like Jericho or Bryan work there. One shots here and there, sure, but if you think Jericho will show up weekly on a shitty zombified version of a promotion that finally got mercy killed once, they're out of their fucking minds.

Reactions: 909

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, what the hell is the end goal with ROH?

It was cool at first to see them showcased on an AEW show cause I thought it was just going to be a short introduction to set up a spinoff but now it's been six months. It's like they're an unwanted house guest that they can't figure how to kick out and they're just ruining the place and no one wants to come over and visit anymore cause they're constantly farting and eating all of your snacks.

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
Don't have anything to add other than the first time I heard the term ROHbots was from now banned troll Cyrus aka The Big Hurt. Anyways, thank you and I probably just wasted your time.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Yeah, what the hell is the end goal with ROH?

It was cool at first to see them showcased on an AEW show cause I thought it was just going to be a short introduction to set up a spinoff but now it's been six months. It's like they're an unwanted house guest that they can't figure how to kick out and they're just ruining the place and no one wants to come over and visit anymore cause they're constantly farting and eating all of your snacks.

Tony is still working on trying to secure a timeslot for it. It's not easy since he has a contract with a set amount of time allotted to his product. They can't just add a new show to their networks. So he's having the matches to at least keep the titles and wrestlers on people's minds.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
It has to be worked into a new deal, like Rampage was. The ratings for Dynamite, for the most part, have still been very good. Rampage is a different story, but those were always worse. As far as on screen product, there can be a case for that, but as long as the numbers don't reflect that idea, it's not going to change. It's still drawing, overall.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tony is still working on trying to secure a timeslot for it. It's not easy since he has a contract with a set amount of time allotted to his product. They can't just add a new show to their networks. So he's having the matches to at least keep the titles and wrestlers on people's minds.
My agnostic brother in Christ, you don’t have to simp for tony this hard.

There wasn’t a tv market for ROH before the purchase and this isn’t creating one either.

Use the name for a lower tier touring independent development company if you want but stop ruining your main investment.

I’m going to the show tomorrow and it’s bad enough I have to see best friends again but don’t ask me to relive Dalton Castle in the year 2022, ten years past his expiration date.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I let out an audible yelp of frustration when I saw the match graphic for Jericho Vs Dalton Castle.

If Tony Khan wants to play up ROH's history and how it was springboard for basically every major star today, fine but pretending ROH was always a major promotion on the level of WWE & AEW? Nope. Nah uh. Not buying it.

And I say that as someone who watched ROH and attended shows during their waning years.