Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in Fall 2022- Spreading lies and bullshit to the media.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
AEW's track record with long term storytelling has been good enough that I wouldn't doubt that the payoff ends up being satisfying.

Satisfying enough to make up for another potential Matt Taven World Title shot? Idk if I'm that optimistic.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Sounds like Punk might be back afterall.

Meanwhile, yesterday's "Dynamite" featured the Elite being mentioned on commentary, the Young Bucks in "AEW Rampage" promotional material, and Punk in a montage of former ROH World Champions. Fightful confirmed there had been movement, and even optimism, regarding the returns of the involved parties, and that Punk, Omega, and the Bucks had been in contact with AEW more than they had in the last month.

Read More: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/106222...ent-and-ace-steels-release/?utm_campaign=clip

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
The reaction Punk gets if he returns will be very interesting to me. Also, he has to go heel, right?

muzzington

Donald Dump or whatever
Reaction score
If it isn't Punk holding thigns up with litigation I wonder who it is?

Ultimo in AEW for a one off would be fun. I'm always ok with bringing in random legends for that kind of thing. it makes the company look like its hot.
Like Liger coming in for a random NXT PPV.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Even before the press conference and ensuing brawl, he was already trending heel, yeah? Like he didn't really quite get the rapturous hometown reaction you'd get for All Out.
He's never really a face. Everything he does is always so disingenuous and he just has this natural slime to him that he kind of always feels like a 60-40 split a lot of the time, if not more. Part of his charm, and I love it.

But for real, heel Punk vs Kingston in New York (preferably MSG) with several months of build is the biggest match the company could pull off and I'll die on that hill.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
My god, if this is in any way true, what a bunch of fucking babies. I want Harley Race to come back from the dead and smack the shit out of all of them with a cig hanging out of his mouth like Samuel Jackson in Jurassic Park.

Staff member
Reaction score
When you say Harley Race do you mean the guy who was jealous of Hogan to the point he pulled a gun on him?

There’s nothing earth shattering in that article but there are a few things that came out today overall. One is that it confirms Punk had a primadonna attitude and acted like he was better than everyone else. This is corroborated in other articles as well. Secondly it says that people got tired of him because he didn’t draw enough to justify acting that way.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My god, if this is in any way true, what a bunch of fucking babies. I want Harley Race to come back from the dead and smack the shit out of all of them with a cig hanging out of his mouth like Samuel Jackson in Jurassic Park.

That headline is really sensationalistic if not somewhat misleading IMO and sounds like someone was trying to skew opinions towards Punk.

CM Punk's standoffish, anti-social attitude is what turned the locker room against him not his drawing power (or lack thereof).

That being said, if AEW's locker room is as needy for approval as Wade Keller makes them sound like they are then maybe they are in the wrong business.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
When you say Harley Race do you mean the guy who was jealous of Hogan to the point he pulled a gun on him?

There’s nothing earth shattering in that article but there are a few things that came out today overall. One is that it confirms Punk had a primadonna attitude and acted like he was better than everyone else. This is corroborated in other articles as well. Secondly it says that people got tired of him because he didn’t draw enough to justify acting that way.
They killed his initial momentum by putting him against people like Bobby Fish etc for months on end. I said it at the time, and I stand by it. They should've struck while the iron was hot and immediately positioned Punk in a main program against Omege culminating with Punk winning the world title.

And his prima donna attitude only became a problem recently. Hobbs has talked glowingly about Punk after their brief feud. Starks too. Are they the liars? All I know is the people dressing with Punk (Starks, Hobbs, MJF and FTR) all are people who I feel should be pushed to the top of the card. I get the feeling I would agree with almost everything Punk wanted. So, even though he has an ego I would run with his vision over the cosplay kids.

Staff member
Reaction score
They killed his initial momentum by putting him against people like Bobby Fish etc for months on end. I said it at the time, and I stand by it. They should've struck while the iron was hot and immediately positioned Punk in a main program against Omege culminating with Punk winning the world title.

Did you read the part of the article where the problem didn’t get worse for a while specifically because he built up to the main event?

And his prima donna attitude only became a problem recently. Hobbs has talked glowingly about Punk after their brief feud. Starks too. Are they the liars? All I know is the people dressing with Punk (Starks, Hobbs, MJF and FTR) all are people who I feel should be pushed to the top of the card. I get the feeling I would agree with almost everything Punk wanted. So, even though he has an ego I would run with his vision over the cosplay kids.
And yet literally none of those people came out to defend Punk when this happened or now. And it’s not like anyone is letting the Elite run AEW. They obviously have no say in anything. Wrestlers don’t need to be deciding who gets pushed and who doesn’t. I don’t think Punk’s attitude only became a problem recently. He wasn’t there. This would have to have happened well before that. Keller found three guys who are near the top of the card, who aren’t the Elite, who straight up don’t want him there. Punk doesn’t have one person in the business defending him and he’s been around twenty years.

At some point it’s okay to say this guy who I really liked pulled a Warrior and hit the self destruct button on himself. He has literally no friends in the business willing to publicly or privately say anything in his defense. Those hundreds of people he knows and he can’t find one. They can’t all be wrong.

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score

In hindsight, this probably wouldn't have been the best move considering both times he got the world title, he got hurt immediately after.

Like I said before, if Punk comes back, there's no way he should be pushed as a top guy given his timing with injuries (same reason why as much as I love him, it wouldn't be smart to push Danielson to the top as well). Let him work the midcard and if he proves healthy enough, then reassess. Again though, would he want to even do that at this point?

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
In hindsight, this probably wouldn't have been the best move considering both times he got the world title, he got hurt immediately after.

Like I said before, if Punk comes back, there's no way he should be pushed as a top guy given his timing with injuries (same reason why as much as I love him, it wouldn't be smart to push Danielson to the top as well). Let him work the midcard and if he proves healthy enough, then reassess. Again though, would he want to even do that at this point?
Just having the world title wouldn't have made him any more likely to get hurt. There is always an injury chance, but it's almost impossible to bring people back after they give up on your product. AEW needed to feature Punk in a major way with a white hot angle the day after All Out 2021. I will die on that hill.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Instead they had him dicking around for 2 and a half months before working a 2 week program with Eddie. By that point all initial impact was gone.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I think it honestly all goes back to the real root of my problem with AEW. And it's Tony Khan. He brought in all these people, and really should have gotten rid of an equal number of people so that he could actually feature people weekly. He was trying to keep everyone happy, but that just isn't possible.

None of the big 5 who came in that summer are as over now as they were then (Bryan, Punk, Cole, Andrade and Black). That's the booker of the year at work.