Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in Fall 2022- Spreading lies and bullshit to the media.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Barring offing AJ and locking Larry in the enclosed area, Punk will always be one of my favorites. That being, as great as his first (and presumably only?) year in AEW was at times, if he had a crystal ball knowing how it all ended, I wonder if Punk would have thought if it was worth coming out of retirement for this.

None of the big 5 who came in that summer are as over now as they were then (Bryan, Punk, Cole, Andrade and Black). That's the booker of the year at work.
Claudio came in this summer and is already resigned to being on Dark. SMDH.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Punk did this to himself because he has no social skills. It doesn't matter how he was booked.
I think it honestly all goes back to the real root of my problem with AEW. And it's Tony Khan. He brought in all these people, and really should have gotten rid of an equal number of people so that he could actually feature people weekly. He was trying to keep everyone happy, but that just isn't possible.

None of the big 5 who came in that summer are as over now as they were then (Bryan, Punk, Cole, Andrade and Black). That's the booker of the year at work.

Tony obviously has serious flaws as a booker but really who exactly is doing a better job as a booker than him over the last 3 or 4 years? Gedo has been on a pretty long run of meh. It isn't Vince or Hunter. and Sorry Kamala it isn't some random indy with 200 fans.

Staff member
Reaction score
Just having the world title wouldn't have made him any more likely to get hurt. There is always an injury chance, but it's almost impossible to bring people back after they give up on your product. AEW needed to feature Punk in a major way with a white hot angle the day after All Out 2021. I will die on that hill.
This is where having a great memory comes in handy. During that All Out press conference I remember someone asking about the title while Tony is in full geeked out star struck mode willing to say yes to literally anything Punk wants…and Punk says he wants to work with and put over younger guys, to elevate them. Well now he’s gone when it was his turn to soon do the honors. You think he ever would have now that his mentality led to this incident? Fuck no. Other than MJF he leeched heat from these guys and self destructed before he could give anything back. Hence why I keep comparing him to Hogan and Warrior. You’d almost think this was calculated or some shit given how many guys have pulled this shit when it was coming to be their turn.

It’s also somewhat debatable what MJF was given seeing as he was in a world title match on ppv and featured in War Games before Punk got there.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sorry Kamala it isn't some random indy with 200 fans.
You're confusing me with BBBD. #NotAllBeardedOverweightWrestlingNerds

Obviously, they're not without a bunch of problems, AEW has a higher hit to miss ratio than just about any promotion since 2000. This promotion (and a good chunk of their roster) is still very young. You want to nip bad behavior from main eventers in the bud.

It's crazy that people complain about Tony Khan being a weak boss and wanting to be friends with everyone while also wanting him to bring back CM Punk. Fans really want to have both sides of the bread buttered.

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Eric Bischoff pretty much let every top guy walk all over him (regardless of what he claims) and look at what happened. Yes, I'm exaggerating a bit but other than Scott Hall, who did Bisch really put in their place?

Staff member
Reaction score
He
You're confusing me with BBBD. #NotAllBeardedOverweightWrestlingNerds

Obviously, they're not without a bunch of problems, AEW has a higher hit to miss ratio than just about any promotion since 2000. This promotion (and a good chunk of their roster) is still very young. You want to nip bad behavior from main eventers in the bud.

It's crazy that people complain about Tony Khan being a weak boss and wanting to be friends with everyone while also wanting him to bring back CM Punk. Fans really want to have both sides of the bread buttered.

Yeah dude he was literally incapable of seeing Punk in a non star crossed way. He knew the problems this was causing and immediately put the belt back on him. If that fight never happened he would have continued to let Punk do whatever he wanted and destroyed his rosters morale in the process.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And like I've said a bunch of times ITT, Tony Khan could have prevented this by not letting Punk rant to high heavens at the All Out post show press conference but he is too much of a players coach.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The water was already poisoned regardless of a public rant.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
This is where having a great memory comes in handy. During that All Out press conference I remember someone asking about the title while Tony is in full geeked out star struck mode willing to say yes to literally anything Punk wants…and Punk says he wants to work with and put over younger guys, to elevate them. Well now he’s gone when it was his turn to soon do the honors. You think he ever would have now that his mentality led to this incident? Fuck no. Other than MJF he leeched heat from these guys and self destructed before he could give anything back. Hence why I keep comparing him to Hogan and Warrior. You’d almost think this was calculated or some shit given how many guys have pulled this shit when it was coming to be their turn.

It’s also somewhat debatable what MJF was given seeing as he was in a world title match on ppv and featured in War Games before Punk got there.
Would he have been willing to put guys over at the right time? I guess we'll never know. But, it certainly wasn't the right time last fall in his matches with Hobbs, Garcia, Fish etc... So, it's tough to say whether he would have or not.

He is stubborn, has an ego and had a personal issue with The Elite. But, I don't think that means he wouldn't have been willing to job to talent if it was called for.

Staff member
Reaction score
Would he have been willing to put guys over at the right time? I guess we'll never know. But, it certainly wasn't the right time last fall in his matches with Hobbs, Garcia, Fish etc... So, it's tough to say whether he would have or not.

He is stubborn, has an ego and had a personal issue with The Elite. But, I don't think that means he wouldn't have been willing to job to talent if it was called for.
He doesn’t just have a personal issue with the Elite. It’s like there’s something broken where he has personal issues with hundreds of people and is incapable of realizing it. He’s made comments that make it sound like he sees literally no value in personal relationships. Then there’s all the problems he had with some of these people before he was in AEW. It’s pretty unlikely he took any steps to fix that.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
My impression of Punk is he's more Steve Austin than Hogan or Warrior (i'm talking personality not drawing).

Austin would never put someone over if he thought it was bad business or didn't make sense. He would hold grudges, and would refuse to even work with certain people (even if Austin would go over clean). He was very stubborn, and particular with his programs. But, if he thought it made sense he would do the job.

Hogan and Warrior didn't give a shit if it made sense. All they cared about was their spot and their money and never losing.

My gut with Punk is he's more like Austin than that. Both are hell to deal with as a boss, but I do think there is a difference. I do think Punk cares about the company he works for, and wants shit to make sense.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
My hate bone for the Elite ain't blinding me to the fact that if Punk is toxic, like that toxic, he has to go. I hate saying that but needs of the many always outweigh the need of the few.

Tony's still an idiot who has made dramatic mistakes. Miro, Claudio, and Kingston have been ready for the top for a long time, and then guys like Darby and Garcia are not exactly behind. But Garcia aside I dont think he's really a fan of the others otherwise they wouldn't have been lost in the shuffle at the cost of pushing people like Punk. Hell pushing fucking Jungle Boy for that matter.

For the record looking back I think that, if a turning point for Punk's attitude happened, it was the crowd turning on him against Kingston.

Valeyard

Reaction score
How can you fuck Claudio up like that? That debut pop was insane.

The total reluctance and hesitation of booking former WWE guys against each other bit them in the ass so hard in hindsight.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
AEW only has 2800 tickets sold for Dynamite tomorrow. It's crazy this is the same company from August/Sept of 2021.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
How long before they start running The Mid-Hudson Civic Center and The Fernwood Resort?

Valeyard

Reaction score
At the rate they're going? Rampage. If they can stop the bleeding long enough to last that long, anyway. Room is spinning.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Fernwood Resort burned down a few years ago. I've driven by it a bunch of times. Still wish my mom had taken me to that Raw where Savage and Crush got in a brawl.

Mid-Hudson Civic Center is a legit possibility for them. As Meltzer has pointed out many times, Kenny Omega holds the gate record for that building.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Guys, AEW has ran a bunch of 5,000 seat venues during their first three years. Mid Hudson Civic Center is little to no step down.

The DC Arena they have done two night stands in their last few visits only fits like 3,000.