Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Palumbo and O'Haire obliterated Totally Buff in star-making fashion. Scott did Booker solid and would no doubt have continued over the year if things lasted longer. Flair will lose to anyone and still not lose anything himself. Jarrett knew when to pick his moments and how it would help himself as well as someone else. You only need Totally Buff, Scott, Jarrett, and Flair to play ball when you have a big stable of name guys. Their rubs are all insanely bigger than Animal and Rick.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's funny that the final WCW PPV had one last cutting off the nose to spite the face meltdown from one of the veteran main eventers.

Honestly, doing the match that way helped Palumbo & O'Haire probably way more than a 12 minute match with '01 Totally Buff would've and it ensured that Totally Buff would never really get another shot with another major promotion again (Buff's disastrous cup of coffee (frozen water bottle upside the head?) in WWF and Luger's handful of TNA cameos aside).

Just think if it happened the way that WCW Creative wanted it to, the really bad match at Unforgiven 2001 could've been Totally Buff Vs The Brothers of Destruction instead of KroniK Vs The Brothers of Destruction.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah Buff and Luger were still pulling shit until the very end. They were supposed to to over and win the tag belts at Greed but the plan got changed the day of and just decided to be children and be hilariously squashed. The prototype to HBK/Hogan.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I still contend that the Magnificent Seven could've been the basis for the company's turnaround, if only because the guys involved were actually willing to put the right people over. Steiner/Booker was being set up as the next big long-term program, and Steiner clearly had no issue putting Booker over and making him look good.
"The right guy" is the problem. Goldberg would likely have more of a Hogan 91 run than recapture lightning in a bottle.

Scott Steiner was a physical wreck IIRC. Rick was such a dick that the WCW mid card was considering doing a mass shoot run in and beat him down at the last show. Flair could WOO and get pops but wasn't going to draw past the hardcores. Double J has never been proven to draw for his daddy or Russo. Animal is aging and bloated. Ditto Luger. Buff is a turd.

Can they get anybody fresh over or is it just going to Nash/DDP etc coming back as planned?

Sean O Haire had a great look but proved he couldn't cut a live promo. Anybody else with break out potential? Bryan Danielson in the Cruisers? Samoa Joe probably gets a mildly racist gimmick and a ceiling.

Go full TNA and start bringing in the Attitude cast offs to try and squeeze something out of them?

Valeyard

Reaction score
It doesn't matter why Totally Buff got squashed, really. I honestly don't understand being pissed about losing a match and requesting to be squashed instead, either. Wrestlers are stupid.

I've never completely bought the "WCW was too big to fail" thing. They could've made it work and floated along for a while by cashing in with the tape library alone, even if it meant selling portions.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean the fix was in with AOL/Time Warner. If it wasn’t going to be a cash cow anymore, they were going to strip it for parts and sell it for pennies on the dollars. People that pulled the strings were not wrestling people.

As @Laz says: corporate wrestling sucks.

If WWE is not careful, it could happen to them too.

It doesn't matter why Totally Buff got squashed, really. I honestly don't understand being pissed about losing a match and requesting to be squashed instead, either. Wrestlers are stupid.
That crybaby behavior also definitely cost them spots on the final WCW show, which Luger (even in his 2001 iteration) definitely deserved and even Buff probably deserved. If not for that outburst, would they really be less worthy of a spot than Shawn Stasiak and “pin me, pay me” mode Bam Bam Bigelow?

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
That's saying they would've had something to add to the last show, though. Like unless Goldberg and Nash killed them off officially, there's nothing I can think of.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Obviously there are a thousand plus better options but realistically, I’m thinking a quickie six man tag where Dustin Rhodes, Hugh Morrus and The Cat go over Jeff Jarrett and Totally Buff.

Although that match would make IWC exponentially madder than Shawn Stasiak squashing BBB.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Stacy is why Stasiak worked at all, though, and there is absolutely no world I can think of where I would wather see Luger or Bagwell over Stacy.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Actually maybe sub Dusty in for the Cat or Morrus since he was a regular on ‘01 WCW programming.

If Lex was upset about putting over O’Haire and Palumbo, imagine his reaction at having to put over Dusty again!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's still crazy that the only ppv Flair/Rhodes match was Greed. That seems like it should be a mistake.
If that dastardly Hogan hadn't come into WCW and turned it into a profitable business, Dusty vs Ric in 94 probably goes down in some form as Dustin is moved into the world title mix to play off the Rhodes/Flair dynamic.

The empty chairs Sting vs Vader earned across the country in 93 would have had lots of company.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They draw nothing in any year after 1992. Like to the point of sad.

Flair/Dusty by itself is the best WCW can do so in a way the tag is a mistake

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Most people: Why would they do a podcast on an old Western?”

Me: a podcast on one of WCW’s last and potentially most forgettable attempt to recapture the success of the nWo? Dammit. I’m in.
Home sick from work and listening to this episode. Amazingly, my prediction was right. Conrad wracked his brain figuring out what the heck his producer was talking about when "The Magnificent Seven" was brought on as a topic. Connie thought it was a reference to University of Michigan Basketball. Alas, Jeff Jarrett's thoughts on Chris Webber, Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose, and co. will have to happen another day.

Even Jeff Jarrett, who was in the stable, wasn't really sure if it was an angle that made PPV. Sorry Laz and Vale. He had an interesting explanation of how strange it was to work in WCW in January-March of '01. Basically, no one was sure whether or not, the storylines mattered or if they were just going to be erased when the new owners took over. It sounded like playing for a crappy baseball team that's been eliminated from playoff contention and everyone was just trying to get through it and hopefully get a job next season.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn. Ric Flair introduced the stable the night after Sin as The Elite then they changed it to the Magnificent Seven without explanation.

HAH HAH! Those geek Young Bucks and Kenny Omega are walking on roads that Double J built!

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Did they ever reveal who was attacking the Magnificent Seven before the company went under? I don't think they did but maybe there was something on a Thunder or something.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
More about Totally Buff jobbing to Paulimbo & O’Haire at the last WCW PPV. According to WON, what really pissed off everyone is that Buff and Lex sold the move for minutes and minutes for the life crowd and Buff pretended to reaggravate his neck injury.

Worst part is I imagine when they were called out over it, Totally Buff were probably like “WE WERE TRYING TO PUT THEM OVER!”

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did they ever reveal who was attacking the Magnificent Seven before the company went under? I don't think they did but maybe there was something on a Thunder or something.
Nash, DDP, Sting and Goldberg were all being held off for a big return angle after the heels hurt or eliminated them so it was probably just teasing that.
I'm pretty sure I was expecting Hawk to show up to counter Animal.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It felt like one of them turning when I watched it back. Can't remember who. I think a Totally Buff.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

"What happened with Alex Wright?"

"Flair and I agreed I would go around the horn and teach Wright how to work as he was going to be the next star, but if we work PPVs I am not losing"

"So why did you not want to lose to him at the PPV?"

"Pfft! Cause he was jabroni!! He couldn't work and he blew up all the time" "I was protecting me"

Roma goes on to claim that Otto Wanz brought him in after he was fired and Roma did record business.
He kept selling out

Valeyard

Reaction score
Mr Wrestling II and Hercules in 1984 would've been fun, though.