Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Hiro Matsuda is a pretty lame replacement for JJ Dillon. Matsuda had been a part of the Starrcade 87 build as he was teaching Luger a sleeper to counter Dusty's Johnny Weaver sleeper.

Gary Hart had been slumming it a little bit with Larry Z and Al Perez (although Perez did feud with Nikita and Larry w/ Windham and Dusty in 88) but he could have been a fine replacement. He can reintroduce Matsuda and use him to announce the Great Muta is the new apprentice Horseman.
Larry is about to go back to the AWA, so you could have him come out with Perez and confront the new Horsemen and Hart. Then on que, Perez whomps Larry and they injure him to write him off. Flair, Windham, Muta and Perez are the new Horsemen. Things would fall apart fast though as Windham was about to leave and Flair is about to turn in May, so I guess having Hiro with Butch Reed and Kendall and Barry for a week or 2 did less damage to the brand.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
He always gave off the vibe a good guy. He and Bossman had this air to them even as heels where you can tell they're playing a character, having fun, and it's fun to hate them because you're all in on the joke. There was always kind of a wink, you know?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Andre aside, it feels like a lot of the Hulkamania era WWF big men were gentle giants. One Man Gang/Akeem, Typhoon and Big John Studd I can also imagine being great, friendly guys to be around IRL.

@SFH said OMG was kind of scummy and Typhoon slid into Brod’s DMs to scold him but that just makes me think even more that he is a good guy.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Gang seems like a carny fuck but not necessarily a bad guy, from what I can tell. Demolition kind of give off a similar vibe. Typhoon I know nothing about but he gave me no impression either way. Studd seemed like if he liked you, you were cool, but if kayfabe dictated he kick your ass or make your kid cry he would.

Andre never seemed like a bad guy, just a really sad and grumpy one by the end. Understandable. I haven't heard anything awful about him.

I want to believe Bundy was cool.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Andre aside, it feels like a lot of the Hulkamania era WWF big men were gentle giants. One Man Gang/Akeem, Typhoon and Big John Studd I can also imagine being great, friendly guys to be around IRL.

@SFH said OMG was kind of scummy and Typhoon slid into Brod’s DMs to scold him but that just makes me think even more that he is a good guy.
Depending on my mood, I can be guilty of taking a piss on OMG's name. I don't know his financial situation. I was really put off when a large area of the state was devastated by flooding, he was cashing in on his wrestling popularity via GOFUNDME to repair his house. Depending on my mood I flip flop from "that's smart" to "ass, what about the unfamous people?"

I'd probably be consistently neutral if I didn't have a "can't say no" personality and talked into going volunteer in a relief capacity watching people launch boats in a high school parking lot to go rescue residents ala Hurricane Katrina.

OMG did work a collector convention where I was vending. The people that talked to me about their encounter reported positive things so I'm probably just better to yell at clouds.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been trying to think how Jerry Lawler would fit in WCW had Watts brought him in Dec 92 instead of Vince.

Lawler's cartoony gimmick and stand up act were good fits for the WWF circus. WCW meanwhile was also under constant creative turnover, so even if Watts would have had a plan (SMW/Corny same time frame) it is out the window by March.
Lawler is 40ish by this point, so he won't be a top guy, but as an annoying heel color guy who gets into scrapes every few months, it works.
He's behind Vader, Rude, Austin, etc. Probably right in that Mr Wonderful level of in the mix but not doing house show main events.

1> Sting - The Franchise. Sting needs fresh meat, so while he wouldn't be the first guy for Lawler, he's definitely going to get a Clash/PPV type run messing with Sting.
2> Erik Watts - Maybe a last gasp by Bill Watts to get his son over via the masterful heel work of Lawler. Lawler can rag Watts on commentary for being a sham and a Daddy's boy - bingo bango insta midcard feud where Lawler can show off how he made new "stars" in Memphis.
3> Ron Simmons - Depending on how hardcore Watts wants to push a USWA working agreement (ala SMW) Lawler could show up with the Unified USWA title and shit talk Simmons. Problem is Simmons loses the belt to Vader by the end of Dec, so either you have Lawler involved in the angle somehow or you push back Vader's win to Jan or something to give this some time to breathe. Thanks to Rude's injury, Simmons had come off PPV defenses with Barbarian and Dr Death so Lawler is almost a step up.
4> Johnny B Badd - Maybe not the first feud, but Lawler ragging on Badd's flamboyant lifestyle lends itself to a midcard feud.
5> Dustin - Rhodes needs some fresh meat as he's been there for 2 years and fought everybody. He and Lawler trading bombs is a "natural" feud.

When 1994 comes
Bill Dundee is on the booking team by now, so perhaps Lawler will have a real friend/enemy backing him in the office.
1>Babyface Flair - WCW world champ Flair getting some TV matches with Lawler with a nod to their past from a decade ago would make for fun TV.
2> Terry Funk - Once Funk comes in for Slamboree, a verbal encounter with Lawler at the PPV could set up the King's first face turn in WCW. Lawler can get the best out of Jimmy Golden too. SLOBBER KNOCKER
3> Cactus Jack - Lawler was no stranger to all over the arena brawls
4> Face Lawler getting chirpy with TV champ Regal and having a run sounds like fun too.

Who knows what happens once Hogan comes in and blows up the system in June?

Valeyard

Reaction score
We probably are more likely to get the King's Court instead of Stud Stable if Lawler comes in with the chief advantage being Lawler could work at a higher level and genuinely could've been the best opponent Dustin could ever have (and probably give Dusty the best match he's had since 1987). You also no doubt have him in the booth for b-shows, and he probably transitions to commentary anyway similar to Larry Z only entertaining.

Failing that, there's absolutely something to Cactus/Lawler. Harley'd be a good manager for him, too, as it takes a king to know a king. You could probably have him and Orndorff as the grizzled cheating vet team really easily whenever you needed, piledriving locals and being a transition reign. The Badd feud makes sense, but I seriously don't see a lot of ways Lawler would put him over; I see Lawler not wanting to lose to a fruit like Badd in the south, but that's WCW, so it'd be bullshit finishes forever to some solid matches. Probably a good heel/heel Clash match with Regal is there somewhere, too, because there's no way Lawler gets over as a face for any prolonged period. He'll work Sting, for sure, but if I had to guess it would be when Rude couldn't. Fun matches. He'd also be a perfect first feud for Hawk when he comes back because that fucker would get a huge pop for the piledriver no sell every time.

1994, I don't see him advancing up the card at all. A Flair match definitely happens, a Bossman match happens, but that's it. More side stuff. He could've been the perfect WCW answer to Heenan if you think about it. Matches here and there where not a lot really gets high up the card, very similar to the WWF only he clicks WAY better in WCW. Feud with someone like Wright makes sense. IBeing one of the first to get toppled by Hogan and pals, although if he stays there's a great chance Savage gives him some great stuff (potentially even Starrcade) before sending him back down the card. If he gets Col. Parker's spot, of course, we get some magical stuff the next year with Sherri and Harlem Heat, too.

Lawler taking Larry Z's position as heel commentator is for the best, and yet another better option to turn and fight the Odor in 96.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lex Luger Vs Jerry Lawler in a WCW Vs USWA World Title unification match was strongly rumored as the main event for Starrcade ‘91. IIRC, it was ruined by Eddie Gilbert squealing about it to Meltzer and friends cause he knew WCW wasn’t ever going to bring him back.

And people probably remembered SuperClash III sucked (sorry @BruiserBrody ) so why bother attempting it again?

‘91 Lawler in WCW makes more sense than ‘92.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
The funny part about the Luger-Lawler match falling through is they fired Paul Heyman over it because so few people knew about it that Jim Herd figured Heyman had to have stooged it off.

Heyman to this day denies ever hearing about it, and Gilbert said he hadn't actually been told anything, he just knew WCW was doing a taping at the Mid-South Coliseum and figured there had to be something in place with the USWA for that to happen. Gilbert did a great interview on John Arezzi's radio show at the time explaining the whole thing.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gilbert did a great interview on John Arezzi's radio show at the time explaining the whole thing.
It’s not like I didn’t listen to this entire interview when Arezzi posted it a year or two ago. My information retention is the pits these days.

To be honest, Eddie Gilbert was forthcoming with the wrestling media doesn’t mean he was a reliable narrator either. He burned every bridge he built in the industry!

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What the hell was Abdullah the Butcher doing in late ‘94 to warrant a feature in PWI?

Had to be one of those instances of one of their writers going to Japan and catching some All Japan shows. It’s hilarious that instead of writing about the Four Pillars, they give article space to a 20 years past his prime Abby.

Um, actually, makes perfect sense given who is one the cover.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What the hell was Abdullah the Butcher doing in late ‘94 to warrant a feature in PWI?

Had to be one of those instances of one of their writers going to Japan and catching some All Japan shows. It’s hilarious that instead of writing about the Four Pillars, they give article space to a 20 years past his prime Abby.

Um, actually, makes perfect sense given who is one the cover.
99 percent sure the "Roasted alive" story was from when Balls Mahoney (as Sheik Abdullah Singh) burnt him legit on the chest via fire ball.

--

All this money and effort just to build to Hogan vs Flair part 352

Valeyard

Reaction score
See I don't know if I care for WCW enough to say those outweigh the rest, as good as they could be..

Valeyard

Reaction score
So much of WCW after the streak (and arguably after Starrcade 97) is just so anti-fun. Like there's the usual suspects who always deliver, and who all would leave anyway, but everything surrounding them is rotten. Between the end of the streak and Sid's injury is so difficult.