Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Yep. Renegade's gear more closely resembled the Lorenzo Lamas character with the random Native adornments than it did Warrior. The stupid thing is that he became a decent little worker by that point, but was entirely ruined by that overpush at his debut.

Now I'm imagining Renegade joining the Flock and tagging with Scotty Riggs.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In retrospect, I feel like Renegade was more deserving of the least cool member of The Flock than Van Hammer.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Jim Cornette said on the latest "Drive Thru" that after Vince sent Chief Jay Strongbow into retirement from his role as an agent that Strongbow turned around and appeared in WCW in some capacity. Any idea what that was?

Fred Blassie said in his book that WCW/Bischoff contacted him during the Monday Night Wars to make a cameo on Nitro and put WCW over as it would drive Vince nuts.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Have no memory of Chief showing up in WCW at all. My best wild guess would be maybe a brief cameo at one of the early Slamborees? Bret Hart said in his autobiography that Chief left WWF partly because he was so grief stricken over one of his grandchildren drowning to death in one of his swimming pools while he was babysitting them. IDK if I had had heard that story anywhere besides Bret's book though.

Speaking of old WWWF guys, I'm amazed Bruno didn't do any cameos on Nitro during the Monday Night Wars era to rag on Vince. He did referee some Macho Man-Ric Flair matches on the house show circuit in the Northeast right around the time the NWO started.

WHAT IF BRUNO WAS IN THE NWO!?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Have no memory of Chief showing up in WCW at all. My best wild guess would be maybe a brief cameo at one of the early Slamborees? Bret Hart said in his autobiography that Chief left WWF partly because he was so grief stricken over one of his grandchildren drowning to death in one of his swimming pools while he was babysitting them. IDK if I had had heard that story anywhere besides Bret's book though.

Speaking of old WWWF guys, I'm amazed Bruno didn't do any cameos on Nitro during the Monday Night Wars era to rag on Vince. He did referee some Macho Man-Ric Flair matches on the house show circuit in the Northeast right around the time the NWO started.

WHAT IF BRUNO WAS IN THE NWO!?
My brain went somewhere else with that....
What if Bruno joined the USWA chapter of the Nation of Domination!?
Then moved on to ECW to be in the Full Blooded Italians!

Wrong thread for fantasy booking greatness....

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I would swear Strongbow and Wahoo appeared together on one of the weekend shows.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah that would be my guess? Him appearing with Wahoo in buildup to Slamboree '95. I was planning on rewatching some Slamborees in near future so I'll report back to this thread if I see Chief, I guess.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It was definitely WCW but I couldn't tell you beyond that because my brain could be lying. Something about proud heritage, maybe around the US title tournament? Very well could be imagining the whole thing but I swear they were together once in WCW.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Glad they could work it out so she could tell his employer he couldn't show up because he was at the beach.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This week's JR pod is on Superbrawl 91. Interesting to hear Meltz claim that Kensuke Sasaki and Hiroshi Hase were supposed to come in for a full year, building up Sasaki as an international star and Hase fortifying relations in the NJPW/WCW offices.
Trusting WCW to find a way to keep 2 non English speaking guys over at a high level for that long seems like a near impossible ask.
As a team they would eventually lose their unique shine and fall into the midcard shuffle IMO.
I liked Sasaki's 93 stuff, but at that time I was excited to see anyone new and different in the mix.