Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I recently downloaded a pack of the London Publishing-era WCW Magazine (probably my favorite wrestling mag of all time). One feature which blew my mind as a kid getting into wrestling was this shoot-ish interview with Bill Watts where the Cowboy says "WWF" a few dozen times, namedrops Mr. Perfect, explains why the Steiners left and goes into detail about guaranteed vs incentive-based contracts. Not sure if anyone else will care but I found it an interesting reread. (Insert Kamala post about Brody touching himself or something)

Attachments

• watts1.jpg
    watts1.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 4
  • watts2.jpg
    watts2.jpg
    863.5 KB · Views: 4
  • watts3.jpg
    watts3.jpg
    909 KB · Views: 4
  • watts4.jpg
    watts4.jpg
    842.9 KB · Views: 3
  • watts5.jpg
    watts5.jpg
    858.5 KB · Views: 3
  • watts6.jpg
    watts6.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 3

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've told this story but I saw Sylvester Terkay wrestle at a WWE house show in Summer of '06 before he debuted on TV and I honestly thought he could be the next Brock Lesnar. Whoops.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
He should've succeeded. Bruiser Brody with real skills, enough to hang with Angle and Angle call him one of the best? I think he was on the older side at the time but he should've run one of the brands. He'd have fit great in later WCW too, actually.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
By the time he got called up, Japan was nosediving and he was a mismatch in WWE. Honestly, I feel like he might've been a decent fit in late '00s TNA.

I was going to say it was a matter of starting too late but he debuted in '99, around same time as Brock and Cena. He was just one of those guys that lingered in and out of development for years. It's damn weird that Kurt Angle's protege didn't get more of a shot. WWE released him in the middle of a push. Albeit a WWECW push. I feel like there must be more to the story that I haven't heard about.

Valeyard

Reaction score
New Japan would've fit him. Inokiism with that look and cred feels natural.

In hindsight TNA had some real strength not bringing him in when the big Pope push was happening.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Terkay did some shots of Inoki Genome Federation so he was even too late for that era of NJPW. I've never heard anything RE: Whether IGF was good or even memorably bad. I'm assuming it was kind of just boring from reading descriptions.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

At first you may think "Why is Eddy slumming it with Cobra?" but when they taped this Cobra was in a mini pushed feud with Craig Pittman. By the time it aired, he had been smashed by the Giants in seconds, IIRC my post Halloween Havoc Nitros correctly.

Also...I don't think Sabu made it to the WW3 PPV? *checks wikipedia*

Hard to hate on scummy heel brawlers.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is fascinating to imagine the Sliding Doors scenario where Sting ends up in WWF in '87 and not Warrior. I feel like with Sting, you have a guy who COULD pick up the mantle from Hogan in '90 *and* continue to be a viable worker into his fifties.

Plus if his WCW run is any indication, he has the patience of a saint and could probably handle the egos of the other WWF main eventers better. Although that'd also be the main reason why Sting might not have made it in WWF. His laid back, Californian personality might get him rolled over or annoy Vince.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I don't think Sting would've hit the same level. Warrior was a giant psycho who made no sense and was captivating. Sting is a true babyface who can be intense and put on good matches with a good look but be a genuine threat to Hogan long term. Warrior was 100% WWF material for the time. Sting was better in practically every way but was too good and likely wouldn't get a shot until Flair came in and Hogan left, if Sting didn't leave first.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Cobra was the shit, too. Work wasn't much for me but his music was Morse Code and more than once Dusty tried to translate it so he gets a pass.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I remember commercials on TBS hyping this match the week before it aired. I had only started watching WCW so didn't know how good Eddie was yet and I only knew Luger from his "Made in the USA" run.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
1997 -May 17th WCW ran Winston-Salem, NC at the Lawrence Joel Memorial Coliseum:
-Rick & Scott Steiner defeated Public Enemy at around the 25-minute mark when Rick pinned Johnny Grunge after avoiding an elbow off the top through a table.

Public Enemy going 25 mins sounds like some sort of rib on the fat guys trying to hang with the Steiners

Valeyard

Reaction score
Rattlesnake Crusher '97 is my least favorite move ever. Shit's scary.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
...you know, if I still did e-fedding, I'd call the sitout Tombstone that.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
JCP @ Hillsville, VA - May 20, 1987 (850)
Mark Fleming defeated David Diamond
Denny Brown defeated John Savage
Gary Royal defeated Mark Fleming
Nelson Royal defeated Rocky King
The Italian Stallion defeated Larry Stephens
Vladimir Petrov defeated Todd Champion
Jimmy Valiant & the Italian Stallion defeated Chris Champion & Sean Royal via disqualification

Spot show but good lord.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Darsow spending almost his whole career in top promotions is surprising. Always used it the right way too, somehow. God bless Darsow.