Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It's a goddamn shame that Corino's best overall work was in MLW when nobody was watching.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Man, getting hammered on the beach at a free major-level wrestling show while Baywatch is being filmed at the same time is kind of a teenage dream.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

It's a shame alcohol messed Adams up as he probably could have had a good run in WCW (maybe spring boarding off his Starrcade 90 appearance). He and Austin could have redone their USWA feud even over the TV title and the ladies.
I enjoyed Adams as one of the territory guys who WCW used as late 90s cannon fodder. I don't recall him off hand in too many "hidden gems" like the RnR Express and others had against the Horsemen and such. He had the Glacier feud and not much else I recall outside of jabroni duty.
Did he have a thing with Saturn when Saturn was working with the Cat maybe?

Valeyard

Reaction score
He and Malenko had a really fun preshow match on some show. That's the last I remember ever seeing Adams.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Adams, Glacier, and Saturn had a 3-way feud over who should rightfully use the superkick as a finisher. Seriously.

Actually, just thinking about it, imagine if any company did that feud today. All but 2 people on their roster would be involved.

Laz

Reaction score
Honestly, that's one of those feuds that sounds so stupid but actually worked in the moment.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
May 27th 1993

Columbia, South Carolina:
- Erik Watts fought Kensuke Sasaki to a 15-minute time-limit draw (What the fuck!? Cowboy Bill is out and yet the pushed NJPW talent is going to a draw with Watts?)
- Maxx Payne defeated Tom Zenk via submission
- Arn Anderson defeated Joey Maggs (sub. for Chris Benoit) (Arn vs Beniot sounds awesome!)
- Davey Boy Smith pinned the Barbarian
- Ron Simmons pinned Dick Slater (sub. for an injured WCW World Champion Big Van Vader) (Steep drop off in opponents!)
- Sting & Dustin Rhodes defeated Rick Rude & WCW TV Champion Paul Orndorff via disqualification
- NWA World Champion Barry Windham pinned Ricky Steamboat

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Slim Jim Challenge was part of the deal to bring Savage over. It was one of the outdoor shows in Downtown Charlotte's equivalent of Times Square/Fisherman's Wharf. WCW seemed like they mentioned Slim Jim way more than WWF (probably cause Slim Jim paid for part of Savage's initial contract). Peaking with Hulk Hogan yelling "LET ME SMELL YOUR SLIM JIM BREATH, BROTHER!" at Savage at IIRC Slamboree '95.

Valeyard

Reaction score
If you swap Slater and Sasaki that card picks up big. Slater would know how to have the least shitty match with Watts and Simmons/Sasaki throwing down would just be cool.

Laz

Reaction score
He was wasted as a garbage brawler, honestly. Before teaming with Grunge, he was a bit of a cruiser, but clearly doing the violent brawls is what paid the bills.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I think he and Malenko were a team for a while in Japan but can't find any matches. Rocco was Cheetah Kid then. Rocco was a good worker. You could tell when he busted his ass, which to me counts for a lot.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The horse kick gives me crazy anxiety. That shit SUCKS and horses are lowkey terrifying.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Aside from 11 y/o me being mildly angry at that (though before too long I hit my rebellious years where I became a pro-heel mark and in turn pro-Stunning Steve), I mainly remember at the time being confused because this Austin guy shows up outta nowhere (my first ever exposure to him) challenging and winning the belt from Eaton.

Looking at cagematch now and he only had 2-3 easily missable jobber matches on WCW TV to establish himself beforehand, so even then it is a bit amazing how quickly they gave him a mid-card run and year+ TV reign based off his work in World Class and USWA (which I wouldn't learn about until a good while later)