Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Harlem Heat 2000 feud was in early '00. Bob Sapp didn't show up until November '00. Ahmed Johnson was long released by the time we got that stupid Battle Dome angle.

FAKE EDIT- Racist Kamala has confused Bob Sapp with Terry Crews. But both pre fame bald black guys did show up in November '00. Bob Sapp made an appearance on Thunder to promote his fight against William "The Refrigerator" Perry on FX's Toughman Contest show (that inexplicably had Lawrence Taylor on color commentary cause...uh, I guess the WrestleMania XI main event counts as fight experience?).

I distinctly remember that Toughman show is where I first saw Bob Sapp and I'm overjoyed that Bob Sapp beating The Fridge's ass isn't something I Mandela Effected.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Harlem Heat 2000 feud was in early '00. Bob Sapp didn't show up until November '00. Ahmed Johnson was long released by the time we got that stupid Battle Dome angle.

FAKE EDIT- Racist Kamala has confused Bob Sapp with Terry Crews. But both pre fame bald black guys did show up in November '00. Bob Sapp made an appearance on Thunder to promote his fight against William "The Refrigerator" Perry on FX's Toughman Contest show (that inexplicably had Lawrence Taylor on color commentary cause...uh, I guess the WrestleMania XI main event counts as fight experience?).

I distinctly remember that Toughman show is where I first saw Bob Sapp and I'm overjoyed that Bob Sapp beating The Fridge's ass isn't something I Mandela Effected.
GAH! The Brody Dewey Decimal System of Wrasslin' remains malfunctioning!!! Time to declare a "Final Countdown" of boarding, but like Inoki I will drag it out over 7 years.

--

PN News once had muscle tone!

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
PN News didn't get a fair shake. Should've gotten that Ice Train pass where you're around for years.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Most people don't realize he was only 19 when he started with WCW. He's also second-generation which I didn't know until years later. He was smart with his money and pretty much retired after WCW folded. Good for him.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anyone who watched '95 WCW would know he was only 19 when he started cause the announcers would mention it approximately every 30 seconds.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
I believe his being a second-gen also came up a couple times on WCW commentary but less emphatically since the average American fan was very unlikely to know who Steve Wright was

I mainly learned and remembered his name at the time because of a couple jokes in PWI of all places about confusing Alex's dad with the similarly-named deadpan comedian

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also Steven Wright was British and I think it'd be too confusing for '95 WCW viewers to think of why a German wrestler had a British father.

Eric Bischoff had a GD meltdown at Conrad for (factually) saying that Alex Wright's dad was British on an 83 Weeks a year or two back.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I didn't watch WCW until '96 so I missed commentators pointing out Wright's age and acknowledging his father.

Mildly fun fact: My grandfather (father's father) was a small-time pro wrestler briefly in Germany and according to my father, shared locker rooms with Steve Wright.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That was right around the time that Jimmy Hart took over booking for WCW Saturday Night and had be its own separate canon from Nitro & Thunder with its own storylines. There was a weird four way feud between the super crappy last iteration of Jimmy Hart's First Family, the Blue Bloods, The Armstrong Brothers, and TechHOOOOOO Team 2000.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score

They couldn't use Sapp 2 months later in the Harlem Heat 2000 feud?
First off, I have no idea why WWF didn't pick up Bob Sapp's contract when they bought WCW. He was only making 78 grand under his developmental deal. Maybe he wasn't any good at this point but he's the kind of guy JR loves. My only guess is he was totally off their radar since he had never wrestled on TV. Lucky for him because he did better in Japan than he would have in WWE.

Second, Guy Evans' Nitro book has an incredible story about Lenita Erickson, the interviewer in that segment. She was a former singer for the failed hair metal band Madam X (which also at various points included Sebastian Bach and Vixen's Roxy Petrucci) and by the late 90s had become a side piece for Gene Simmons. She had been shopping around an all-womens' sports panel talk show called G.A.M.E. and through her Simmons connections ended up at a meeting with Brad Siegel. He offered her a job with the company and she sold him on the idea of being an interviewer who is also a cyborg and whose robot side would come out when she got mad at a wrestler. He signed her for $125k a year plus $500 per event which was a pretty sweet deal for someone who had never been involved in wrestling. He then put her on TV once (that segment was her and Bob's only WCW TV appearance) and then sent her to the Power Plant to work out even though she had no interest in being a wrestler. At the Power Plant she met J.J. Dillon and he asked her if Siegel had sent her down there as part of management and she was like "uh...yeah, sure." So under these false pretenses she and JJ began formulating a plot where they along with Jerry Jarrett would take over the company. When they presented this idea to Brad he told her that he wanted to get rid of WCW and wasn't interested in new management under Turner. Later, after Turner canceled WCW and the Fusient deal fell through, Bischoff had a meeting with Fox Sports about finding a new home for Nitro. Lenita had a friend who worked thereand he called and asked her about Eric and if he really owned WCW. And she replied that no, he didn't own it, he was trying to secure programming so he could get financing to buy it. And the Fox Sports guy was like "lol fuck that." So in a way I guess you could say Lenita Erickson killed WCW.

qxOs8sm.jpeg

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Man, I honestly dislike very, very few wrestlers and even less WCW guys but I dislike Hammer. He just seems like an entitled POS that only got so many shots cause he had the "look".

I mean, the amount of wrestlers over the years that fit that description is endless.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dusty must have stanned hard for Van Hammer cause he was with WCW, off and on, for almost NINE YEARS and Big Dust is the only other person in power that I've heard was an advocate. Although I think his later runs might have been more influenced by the fact that he was buddies with DDP from them being at the Power Plant around the same time.

Anytime, he comes up on 83 Weeks, Eric Bischoff always kind of paints him as an annoying nuisance/dead weight.