Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
...there is no proper way to express the shuddering I am doing after looking at those

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eaton could have worked in ECW as a heel. All he had to do was be a southern technical wrestler refusing to do any hardcore moves or use weapons. Just arm drags, dropkicks, and chain wrestling. Give him a manager talking about Bobby being a true wrestler and there you go. Crowd would have hated him.

I could see Beautiful Bobby fitting in with Steve Corino and Jack Victory. Eaton certainly outperforms Victory in every way in the ring.

Laz

Reaction score
Kinda sucks that his brief stint in ECW was as a run-in to help Doring/Roadkill against Simon/Swinger/CW instead of being the workhorse for an "Old School" faction, eh? That would've been the ideal build toward it, too, with Eaton turning on them to form a proto-Extreme Horsemen.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Dude if a guy's atomic drop can rattle through your fucking spine and cause your skull to get fucked up you give them the belt. I don't care. Good jobber work.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Someone brought it up in one of the gazillion old rasslin Facebook groups I'm in but how amazing/awful would it have been if they tried to do a Road Wild in 2000. Imagine how much worse that Nash/Goldberg/Big Poppa Pump fake shoot and the Judy Bagwell on a Pole match would be in front of a bunch of wasted, uninterested bikers!

Vince Russo would cut a heel promo about how bikers are a bunch of homo crybabies like Eric Bischoff and possibly gotten beaten up and/or sued. Less cool though, the bikers would have definitely not reacted well to Booker T: World Champion.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Russo booking a show in Sturgis might have actually worked. I can see bikers thinking Judy Bagwell on a pole was really funny.

Laz

Reaction score
Bryan Clark is on my shortlist of guys that should've been a much bigger deal, and probably would have been if he'd done some tours of Japan. Great look, didn't mind bumping, had believable power offense...

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Him and Mable are the two guys that come to mind as being most hurt by coming up during the post territories/pre developmental territory & indies boom era. If they came up 10 years earlier or 10 years later, they'd have much, much different and probably better careers.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Flynn getting beat up was weirdly satisfying.

Laz

Reaction score
Flynn is representative of why WCW was on fire for those 83 weeks: even the job guys had personalities and their own streaks. Win enough matches on Worldwide/Pro Wrestling/Saturday Night? Get a TV title shot on Nitro.

Plus...c'mon. Kickboxing guy with a mullet.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I don't even know what it is about Flynn. He's the embodiment of a Bischoff signing. It's most likely just my bitterness at WCW having a really great and really deep roster, but he got more TV. I know he's the type of guy that would come along today and I'd be a fan of, though.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Another case of even though I was watching at the time, this timeline feels off. I would have guessed off hand that Taylor showed up later than early 1996, but as I type this my DOS CPU brain is telling me he and Regal did the Battle Bowl Slamboree gimmick that year.

Conrad harps a lot on how Mero was a failed WWF guy, but his run had to eclipse what he would have done as a WCW mid card guy, especially with the influx of workrate guys in later 95 into 96 who would have out shown Badd's 3 high spots.

If nothing else, his wife turning giant jiggling breasts into a million dollar earning act made the WWF move the better choice regardless, both for their finances and my teenage private time.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

It's a bit crazy in retrospect that WCW was tossing matches out there like this on free TV. A quick glance at the WWF Superstars results from Feb. 92 indicates that Virgil vs Kato was the closest thing to a name vs name match on TV. (Good lord I think the WWF magazine did a write up on this match in whatever their match of the month article was called....maybe it was a different Kato vs Virgil match I am remembering?!?!)

Prime Time Wrestling had some decent stuff (on paper at least), plus Fox aired the Sid/Hogan vs Taker/Flair match on SNME prime time.

- The Nasty Boys & the Natural Disasters (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated Owen Hart & Jim Neidhart (sub. for WWF Tag Team Champions the Legion of Doom), Jim Duggan, & Sgt. Slaughter at 8:05 when Earthquake pinned Neidhart with an elbow drop following a splash in the corner (1/28/92; Amarillo, TX; Civic Center)

I found this to be an interesting result as the faces were both newish teams and the Disasters were about to flip sides, so a loss wouldn't be the end all in wrestling booking patterns. I wonder when they switched the WM 8 plans from the LOD/Disasters and Sarge/Duggan vs Money Inc in relation to this booking.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That guy's Youtube channel is pretty good. AWA content alone.

Watched a video on the Demon yesterday. I want to argue that he isn't as bad as he's made out to be by everyone, but I know better.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The KISS Demon wasn't a bad idea but like a lot of WCW's idea in '99/'00, it came a couple years too late. If he had showed up two or three years earlier when WCW and KISS Reunion were both at their peak of relevancy, it could have been a fun midcard gimmick. Imagine KISS Demon fighting and/or joining the NWO in '96/'97? At least, I (and maybe @The Art of Postin' ) think it could have been pretty cool.

By the time, he showed up though KISS was only in slightly better shape than WCW. I feel like music fans felt the same way about them that the IWC felt about Hulk Hogan.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He reminded me so much of Renegade. Just the way he carried himself vs presence. Could've been a hardcore guy, maybe. Special main event matches with Vito.