Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Renegade's later WCW run was pretty unremarkable to the point where it was hard to believe he was ever really a potential star. He had no facepaint and used Marc Mero's public domain WWE music. He just looked like a generic jobber.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Renegade as an ancillary member of nWo makes sense too tbh. More than GD VK Wallstreet.

Fact that he didn’t get out in a stable at all was ultimate sign of loserdome in mid-late ‘90s WCW. Besides Goldberg, only bums and/or cruiser weights didn’t get to be in stables. And even the latter got to be in a stable eventually.

Dandy

Reaction score
All that Renegade talk reminded me of my thread of retro fantasy booking Renegade, Joe Gomez, and Jim Powers.

No, I am doing okay now thank you very much.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score

Oh shit I have been thinking about this since the Renegade conversation. This is one of my earliest WCW memories and maybe the moment I thought they were legit. Renegade felt like a big deal at the moment because he had the seal of approval, but to be fair at the time I didn't realize he was some new attempt at stupid gimmick and thought he was much more established. Fake Warrior, sure, but Renegade is a cool name so.

I was more hurt by finding out Savage's real last name was Poffo because that is not as cool and I want to believe.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score

This was the first real main event proper I remember seeing and it remains really fun. They made Renegade look like he could hang well enough. I know I bought him, Sting, and Wright as big stars and top level faces because they looked and felt like Capcom characters in the best way. I had no idea who Austin was and until recently wasn't even sure if it was him in that spot.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

It's really surprising that WCW had Dusty under contract from 91-01 and didn't use him for any special feuds except for his 2 match return in 94 (maybe some house shows???) and then the aborted whatever w/ the Assassin.

Dusty coming back every 8-12 months to kick some ass with his son would have done well IMO. Rotate in Windham and others to keep the formula fresher.

Col Parker was around from 93-96, he and Dusty could have been that era's Jimmy Valiant vs Paul Jones Army.

The Amazing French Canadians vs Hacksaw and Dusty in comedy BS low card PPV match in 1997 = BUYS!

--
Unless I'm wrong, IIRC one of the few TNA PPVs I got a boot leg of was for a Vader/Dusty tag team.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

It's really surprising that WCW had Dusty under contract from 91-01 and didn't use him for any special feuds except for his 2 match return in 94 (maybe some house shows???) and then the aborted whatever w/ the Assassin.
I genuinely thought Dusty's heel turn in '98 was going to to lead to some matches but that turn immediately got lost in the shuffle (I think Scott Steiner did the same type of turn). Did late era Dusty ever work heel? Now I'm curious what '98 Dusty working heel would have even looked like.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I genuinely thought Dusty's heel turn in '98 was going to to lead to some matches but that turn immediately got lost in the shuffle (I think Scott Steiner did the same type of turn). Did late era Dusty ever work heel? Now I'm curious what '98 Dusty working heel would have even looked like.
The only thing I remember of his TNA booking days was that he did a skit where a Knockout was blowing him in his pick up for booking favors.
Everything else is a blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
GD it! From UNH! If I wasn't 10 I would've been there!

This card is definition of random WCW BS! Chris Adams Vs Perry Saturn! Reese Vs Chavo Guerrero Jr! Dusty Rhodes & Kevin Nash Vs Public Enemy! Plus Randy Savage Vs Sting in the main event cause they still kind of cared about Thunder.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. Bischoff's AWA bias did him in cause Dusty would've been way better and made way more sense in the role of the heart & soul of WCW than Larry Z.

And Larry Z would have made way more sense and done way better in the role of legend sleazily trying to take the last seat on the nWo gravy train than Dusty!

There's very few wrestling characters that legitimately annoy me than post 1995 Larry Zbyszko but I guess I just don't know how to play the human game of chess.