Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Idk that Joe Gomez had another WCW run 5-6 years earlier. And he still looked terrible a half decade plus later. And somehow he's IRL best buddies with Ric Flair!?

I would like to know more about the life and times of Joe Gomez.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The fan wrenching back on Raven's hair as he was about to start his promo on a
Thunder in early 98 or so was one of the nastiest fan run ins. Looked like it hurt like a bastard

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think in storyline, Vader and Race were returning the US Title back to Paul E. as he filled in for Rude against Nikita Koloff. It was funny watching all of the major heels having a change of heart or thinking "too far" (Hayes, Anderson & Eaton on WCWSN, & Race/Vader) with Paul E.'s misogyny.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Masterful work from Heyman, though. You just want to see him get his ass beat so badly, even now.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A case for Zane Bresloff making the WON Hall of Fame. There's some golden era and New Generation era WWF too but it focuses mostly on how he revived WCW's virtually nonexistent live business.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
More behind the scenes people need recognition in these spaces (you know, what the "Warrior" award was originally intended for). GIVE LANCE WRIGHT HIS DUE!

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I read in another article today on VOW that there's only seven announcers in the WON Hall of Fame! That seems kind of low.
Okerlund
Solie
Russell
Dick Lane
Kent Walton
Jim Ross
Alfonso Morales

Two ring announcers: Jimmy Lennon and Howard Finkel

Then others who aren't in specifically for commentary but were prominent:
Bobby Heenan
Vince McMahon
Paul Boesch
Bill Watts
Jim Cornette
Jerry Lawler

I don't know what's too many or two few and it's tricky because commentators are talent in a way you don't get in other sports. Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura have been debated. Tony Schiavone is actively adding to his resume. Michael Cole has nearly a quarter century of national exposure now, but Hall of Fame?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I looked it up and best answer is kind of but not really? He did win the Curt Gowdy Media Award in 1997, which is the highest honor that the Basketball Hall of Fame bestows on basketball writers and journalists.

Only two broadcasters that are enshrined in the Hall of Fame are Chick Hearn and Dick Vitale so I guess they are even more exclusive than WON Hall of Fame.

Although come to think of it, there can't be that many more than seven announcers in the WWE Hall of Fame.

I don't know what's too many or two few and it's tricky because commentators are talent in a way you don't get in other sports. Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura have been debated. Tony Schiavone is actively adding to his resume. Michael Cole has nearly a quarter century of national exposure now, but Hall of Fame?
Bob Caudle and Dave Brown are the two ones besides Schiavone that are being strongly debated for this class. If wrestlers can get inducted during their prime if they have a 10+ year resume then I think it should be the same for broadcasters. IMO, Schiavone deserved induction a long time ago. Not familiar enough with Bob Caudle to say whether or not he deserves induction.

Dave Brown, IMO, is very underrated. We all know Lance Russell is one of the GOAT but a PBP guy is often only as good as his color guy and Dave Brown as very good in his own right. I think a lot of guys have taken the casual fan approach to color commentary but Dave Brown is one of the few if only to pull it off.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
I like Caudle a lot but I don't know if I would say he's a HOF guy. His best gift was having chemistry with literally everyone he worked with.

Schiavone better get in. I think the reason he isn't has to do with how he became a total joke when WCW was at its peak. The Tony now is so happy and laid back, reinvented himself. He also did this

and should be in every HOF.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, Tony was looked at as a complete joke during WCW's peak and was in complete LOL territory by the time it folded. Him leaving the business for 20 years didn't help his reputation. Seeing at how decent he is on AEW led fans to view his pre-Monday Night Wars stuff and see he's actually a pretty good commentator. I actually think his stuff during the nWo era was pretty good minus the WWE potshots and the repetitive "THIS IS THE GREATEST NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT!".

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'll take all the greatest nights over all the times he and the crew ignored the matches happening. But in fairness to Tony as well a lot of the worst years were probably Bischoff in his ear and by the time that wasn't an issue he was so depressed that he didn't care.

Tony and Jesse were perfect, too.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rewatching '97-'01 WCW, I think Tony Schiavone's work holds up a lot better than people remember. His biggest fault was being a good company man and I think the IWC got mad that he was projecting so much enthusiasm (well, at least until '00) at a promotion that was blowing it. Did people really want him to be super passive aggressive and grouse about how unhappy he is like '04 and on JR?

Valeyard

Reaction score
He just is so defeated by the end of 1998. Add in how often it seemed like he and Heenan took swipes at each other and it's worse. Like there's a moment at Spring Stampede '99 where he and Heenan are going at it and their mics are cut off, leaving Tenay to kinda call part of the match alone.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And besides Joey Styles (who presumably was loyal to Heyman), there really wasn't a better option available. Tenay improved in eons in TNA but he was godawful as lead PBP on WCW Thunder, Scott Hudson was pretty good for a B/C show guy but not as good as Schiavone at his worst IMO. He was like a better, more knowledgeable Lee Marshall. Chris Cruise was a GD narc.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Hudson was getting there by the end. He and Tony had some solid chemistry, too.

My favorite Chris Cruise thing was when WWE brought Joey Styles in, Cruise shows up out of nowhere to complain about how he was better than Styles so he should've gotten the call.