Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Bitch slap > having Sid's butt overload his you-know-what.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I now have this odd desire to see what Russo would've done with Hayabusa, because Hayabusa had an aura to him that wasn't even ruined by that stupid H run (which only worked toward the end when Gannosuke mockingly became Hayabusa II).

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's insane that Hayabusa flew to the USA and attended a random Thunder taping in the Summer of '00 and was told "Creative has nothing for you."

That's just a sign of how depleted the cruiserweight division was though. Rey Mysterio was irrelevant if not injured ATT.

OMG. I googled it. So Hayabusa went to the 9-12-00 Thunder tapings and was scheduled to have a Worldwide match against "The Frog" Marty Garner but WCW decided they didn't want an outsider on a TV match even though it was just Worldwide. So Hayabusa just hung out backstage with Muta the whole night.

1668003707169.png
Also the uncut photo of this is even better cause it features Johnny Laryngitis with a 1997 boy band haircut.

Last edited:

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There were higher ups in WCW thought they had a puncher's chance of winning the Monday Night Wars again in September '00 because people wouldn't be able to find RAW on TNN. That's why they had Vince Russo win the WCW World title
Moving the discussion here but want to emphasize this. Imagine having your best chance at competing in months if not years and your go for broke move isn't a hot match up (although I'm not sure if there were any of those even left in WCW by September '00. Maybe a Goldberg/BPP rematch?) but putting the World Title on your highly divisive, wildly annoying and only marginally over head writer.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Literally any other option would've been better.

Just learned today that due to ballot-stuffing Ric Flair was the true second-place for the 1998 Sexiest Man Of The Year. "Winner" was DiCaprio, however the legitimate winner was Hank The Angry Drunken Dwarf. I miss living in this world.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It would have literally made more sense to put the belt on Hank then.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There were multiple problems in my opinion with the Master P/No Limit Soldiers storyline. First was that Master P and the NLS were an audience that Bischoff wanted to establish in a long term way, but there was no way that the current WCW audience had any idea or were that interested in Master P. The fact that they were able to turn a '99 Hennig and Windham Bros faction face shows how out of touch the booking was.

Honestly they should have had them heels first and had them go against the Konann & Rey group. I think ultimately it just wasn't going to work, but I think the booking plus the scope of who was actually watching WCW at the time just wasn't going to make their run show any semblance of success.
I get why Nash, Bischoff, and Konnan thought the No Limit Soldiers could be their Cyndi Lauper. The NLS were legitimately huge and could potentially bring in a similar but different audience.

I think what they failed to recognize is that even back in 1999, youth culture wasn't a monoculture. No Limit Soldiers were definitely not going to watch failing WCW. And for as outlandish as pro wrestling is, wrestling fans (even younger ones) can be very conservative and close minded. I don't think mainstream pro wrestling fans really fully embraced hip hop culture as something more than a novelty until this past decade (even then you have Scott Keiths of the world say "I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS PERSON!" when a rapper shows up in WWE or AEW).

More important than anything though, the angle was just booked terribly. It seems like it was purposefully designed for non-fans to become immensely annoyed by the celebrity. Maybe with better writing, it could've worked. I'm sure @SFH can attest that there were plenty of white Southern rednecks who liked No Limit Soldiers so I could sort of see how it could've worked.

Besides Rodman and Malone, how many celebrity appearances did WCW do well? I know WWE's had their share of failed celebrity crossovers over the years but it seems like WCW produced MOSTLY failures.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BookReaderImages.php

Steve Austin's career is going nowhere! DDP is NEVER going to be worthwhile in the ring! They'll probably be out of wrestling by the end of the '90s.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah but I feel like there are just as many wrestling fans with his level of pop culture knowledge (if not maybe more) as there are that are super in tune with what's going on with current movies, TV and music.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The bubble is real and it's hilarious. "Who is Brad Bunny I don't listen to melatonin oh he work good who is he" is funny shit.

What's always amused me is the people in the bubble hard, like not having any kind of frame of reference beyond pro wrestling when it comes to conversation, are the same ones who make fun of how Vince is like ten years behind pop culture. Keith is funny in that he is a total doofus not even willing to look shit up, when you know he'd mark out if Kip Winger helped MJF win the belt or something.

From what I've seen, too, he has gotten REALLY bad as a writer, not that he was great anyway. But maybe "IWC Dickheads" is a separate discussion.