Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I love the people who think that anyone could've been the third man and have the nWo succeed. Mabel would've gotten it shit on so hard.
Exactly. The allure wasn't "two guys from the WWF came over," the allure was "Hulk Hogan is a bad guy now." The nWo becomes a short term storyline that doesn't transcend if it isn't Hogan going heel.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There are other guys who could have worked as the third man with the nWo (Mabel isn't one of them) but I think Hogan is the only one that could have reached that transcendent level. If it's Savage, Luger, Sting, Davey Boy Smith...it's probably just a more prominent/successful Dangerous Alliance and WCW doesn't win 83 weeks in a row.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It had to be one of Hogan, Bret, Shawn, or Taker to work. That's it. It had to be that kind of top guy identifed with the WWF. There's no way anyone else comes remotely close. But Hogan is the only one who could get that amount of trash thrown at them.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Is there any footage of the '93 Ric Flair-Harley Race house show matches?

(It's late era Harley Race Day on CXF apparently)

Uploaded this week on the Hospice AWA account!

Verne is back on commentary!

Verne calls Race an 8 time NWA champ... is he actually counting the Singapore switch or is he just confused?

Tony Denucci does the springboard elbow during his squash match with the Hangmen and Lee Marshall calls it a “Muta”.

The Hangman LOSE to the jobbers due to DQ for coming off the top rope “on a prone opponent”. They used a variant of Demolition’s finisher. Upon watching the replay, Lee and Verne are confused by the rule and the DQ. Awesome.
On top of that, the one jobber fires up and clears the ring of the Hangmen afterwards. Wowza.

Trooper wins his squash with “The Big Pinch”. A neck massage. He slaps the shit out of the jobber after the match to revive him.

We get a rare promo from Larry Cameron’s AWA cameo.

Summerslam 90 is about to take place and Sarge is still being referenced on AWA TV. 6 weeks to go in the TCS!!

Race vs Larry:
A fan heckles Race with “You lost yer job at WWF, didn’t cha?”

They do a schmozz finish, complete with the whole jobber crew coming in to split the men up. A rematch is announced for Kansas City w/ Bob Geigel promoting.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
How far were they going to go with the original Shockmaster gimmick before the horrendous debut and leaning into him being a lovable doofus powerhouse?

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
I remember a similar brief WCW production experiment, maybe around the same time as the in-ring camera, where they hyped up having a hot mic in one corner to better hear all the smack talk, grunting, yelling and such in that portion of the ring. Short-lived I'd guess because it'd be problematic for in-ring shoot communication, and I don't recall it really adding that much to the experience beyond the standard audio set-up

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
In 1996 PWI ranked Malenko 13th, Misawa 28th. Besides '97 every other year from 1991-2001 PWI ranked Misawa higher than Malenko.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How far were they going to go with the original Shockmaster gimmick before the horrendous debut and leaning into him being a lovable doofus powerhouse?
Someone (possibly even our very own lovable doofus powerhouse @BruiserBrody ) recently posted that there was a short-lived character called The Super Shockmaster in early '94 that retconned the lovable doofus gimmick and was basically what I imagined they would have done with Shockmaster if the debut had gone as planned.

That being said, even if things had gone ideally, I can't imagine the plan was for Shockmaster to be anything more than a mid-card attraction character ("Eric, thith could be our Undertaker, baby! Uncle Fred can pull it off!") that would have been shuffled to the side once Hogan showed up.

Although...it is kind of weird Fred Ottman went back to WWF briefly just as Hulk Hogan showed up and brought all of his old buddies but he probably just figured his brother in law wasn't in charge anymore and he was damaged goods. That brief WWF run gave us Typhoon grooving to the MOM music at least.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
IIRC he was brought in to do jobs for Yokozuna because Earthquake quit. Pretty sure it was meant to be short term.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Given he was the brother in law (?) of the booker, and still got a "real" push for like 2 months after falling on his face, I'd wager he was penciled in to work with fellow monster Vader in early 94 after the Sid/Vader angle would have ended.
--
A heel turn may have been in order too as Sting was out of fresh things to do in early 1994. He was back into the Rude feud for Superbrawl's 6 man, while working Pretty Wonderful, Regal and Ron Simmons on house shows. (Plus a random couple of Vader matches in Europe to trade the title back and forth)