Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WCW was lobbying hard to bring Piper in in ‘89 and it looks like he was at least strongly considering it.

It’d have been a much better choice creatively than being the pop culture spewing goof ball on Prime Time but I cannot imagine Piper would have been happy in ‘89/‘90 WCW long term.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder if Terry Funk’s ‘89 run ever happens if Piper signs with them.

Then again, Jim Herd (or whoever was in charge of WCW at the beginning of ‘89) probably wasn’t going to pay fat Turner money to bring in Piper as a heel.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
WCW was lobbying hard to bring Piper in in ‘89 and it looks like he was at least strongly considering it.

From my notes: WWF refused Piper's request to plug They Live. NWA/JCP agreed to plug it however.
Flair badly wants Piper in NWA.
At the above show that was tweeted/pictured, Piper shook hands with both Sting and Flair before the main event.
Piper's wife was pregnant at this point and he wasn't interested in being too far from home.
Feb 89ish: Linda McMahon tells New Jersey State Senate that wrestling is fake so WWF shouldn't have to worry about the athletic commission. "A Current Affair" did a story on this and Piper is interviewed. He calls McMahon "a liar".
Feb 89: Roddy Piper, who had been out of wrestling since 1987 due to a lawsuit involving him being electrocuted, where he claimed that injuries suffered as a result left him unable to wrestle ever again. The lawsuit was just settled, so Piper is suddenly fine and ready to wrestle again.

"Apparently the NWA agreed to Roddy Piper's request for a $500,000 one-year wrestling deal and NWA folks even claim Piper gave a verbal ok to the deal. However Piper's agent, David Wolfe is a lot tighter with Titan and McMahon was able to convince Piper to work the Wrestlemania shot. Officially, Piper is only committed to the one non-wrestling appearance for Titan, and supposedly, NWA head honcho Jim Herd actually flew to New York on Monday (skipping the PPV event in Chicago) to meet with Piper about signing the one-year wrestling deal, but I'd say it is 98% certain that if Piper is appearing at Wrestlemania that he isn't going to be wrestling in the NWA." - Mar 1, 89 Observer

– Dave thinks that there’s going to be a major name jumping soon as the logical escalation of the war, and Vince desperately wants it to be Sting but his contract doesn’t expire until May. Turner desperately wants Hulk Hogan but that would be out of the financial realm of possibility for even WCW. FOR NOW. Both sides are talking to Piper, and the wild card is Barry Windham. \

July 89 - Mando Guerrerro attempting to get Mil Mascaras and Roddy Piper for a promotion in California and surrounding states
The AWA Team Challenge Series Roddy Piper to captain one team. Verne tried to sell the concept to other channels including TBS – With the impending debut of the American Gladiators show in syndication, Verne Gagne is now pitching his own version in what would become the Team Challenge Series. The idea is to do a 52 week series with three teams of wrestlers competing for points, captained by Larry Zbyszko, Sgt. Slaughter and Roddy Piper (?!). The show would basically run exclusively on PPV and home video
Teams announced as Team USA (Slaughter) West Coast Waves (Piper) Larry’s Legends Each team was to have 3 men a lady and a midget . Fans were to vote on a 1900 number for stips Piper wanted to book Portland, so this may have been his back up plan instead of WWF 6 VHS videos planned (including Fitness and healty eating)

Piper continued to book Portland after going back on the road with WWF

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Their face Vs face house show matches in the Fall of '99 got really good reviews then Russo came in and Hulkster decided to take his ball and go home for a few months.

Coffin was already roller blading to its doom by Fall of '99 but Vince Russo sure did grease up its wheels to accelerate it. Hulk Vs Bret at Starrcade '99 wouldn't have prevented the demise of WCW but it would've been a hell of a lot better than what we got for a variety of reasons!

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It would've been the last dream match they had. The bullshit finish would be awful but Bret/Hogan never happening is just one of those things that isn't right. It's up there with Sting/Taker for me.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I wish Piper/Savage happened somewhere too. They had a great match on one of the Coliseum Videos and could've done something special even as broken down old guys based solely on promos.

WCW frustrates me me as much as modern WWE when it comes to squandered shit.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tony Schiavone and Scott Hudson’s call (“I thought he was out of the sport!”
“He WAS out of the sport!”) might have been one of the last great unintentional comedy moments for WCW.

Add SID writhing around on the ground with his horribly broken leg and the trainer awkwardly lingering around the ring waiting to attend to aforementioned injury makes it all the more bizarre.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eric Bischoff interviews the owner of Fusient Media, the company that tried to save WCW in 2001.

Resigned and disappointed noises from me as I download this stupid podcast.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Tony Schiavone and Scott Hudson’s call (“I thought he was out of the sport!”
“He WAS out of the sport!”) might have been one of the last great unintentional comedy moments for WCW.

Add SID writhing around on the ground with his horribly broken leg and the trainer awkwardly lingering around the ring waiting to attend to aforementioned injury makes it all the more bizarre.
Sid should have the everloving respect of the wrestling industry for suffering that injury and hanging in there for the angle to play out.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The Beet stuff gives me mixed feelings. It's entertaining as hell but 100% chance Beet had no idea what was happening as soon as they turned a camera on, no matter how many times he got told. 100%. But it wouldn't be half as entertaining if he did, so it all kind of circles. Still Beet is trying to legit kick Jarrett's ass and it's great.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Put on your jeans, wrist tape and cowboy boots, @BruiserBrody .