Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I get why Nash, Bischoff, and Konnan thought the No Limit Soldiers could be their Cyndi Lauper. The NLS were legitimately huge and could potentially bring in a similar but different audience.

I think what they failed to recognize is that even back in 1999, youth culture wasn't a monoculture. No Limit Soldiers were definitely not going to watch failing WCW. And for as outlandish as pro wrestling is, wrestling fans (even younger ones) can be very conservative and close minded. I don't think mainstream pro wrestling fans really fully embraced hip hop culture as something more than a novelty until this past decade (even then you have Scott Keiths of the world say "I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS PERSON!" when a rapper shows up in WWE or AEW).

More important than anything though, the angle was just booked terribly. It seems like it was purposefully designed for non-fans to become immensely annoyed by the celebrity. Maybe with better writing, it could've worked. I'm sure @SFH can attest that there were plenty of white Southern rednecks who liked No Limit Soldiers so I could sort of see how it could've worked.

Besides Rodman and Malone, how many celebrity appearances did WCW do well? I know WWE's had their share of failed celebrity crossovers over the years but it seems like WCW produced MOSTLY failures.
NLS were definitely popular across ethnic lines in my high school. To point, one of our football players signed with No Limit at some point after graduation and when he does local gigs (I think he still tours) you're likely to see as many white people as black people. Probably the only time the high crime bar in our town can have stereotypical redneck rides and stereotypical urban rides in the parking lot and not one single fight break out. Master P could have ended racial division in this country if he had the belt instead of Arquette.

(Of course there's still the hurdle of the white people using terms like "he's one of the good ones")

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Botswana Beast always has surprised me. Better than he had any right to be, but that isn't saying much.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I love the people who think that anyone could've been the third man and have the nWo succeed. Mabel would've gotten it shit on so hard.