Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Kinda tempted to rewatch this in full perhaps for the 1st time since it aired. (Hmmm... I am pretty sure I watched this live for some reason or another even though my Nitro source was cut off for whatever reason I can't recall)

Was this Hogan's 1st appearance since his Tonight Show appearance to announce he was running for President?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was listening to a random Between the Sheets from June 97 and it was revealed Tyson was supposed to be on Nitro the Monday after the Tyson/Holyfield bite fight. It was canceled after the fiasco went down on PPV.
Kris and Bix both freaked out a bit at this news and speculated that without Tyson, not even Austin was going to be able to turn around the MNWars the following year.
One of them even said RAW's renewal in 97 was on the ropes, which is pretty preposterous. Everything business wise in the WWF was stabilizing in 1997. They had just had the Pillman gun angle in late 96 if USA Network was looking for a reason to kill the show. THEY expanded the thing to 2 hours in Spring of 97!
WCW was about to set itself on fire and crash, so if anything Austin would be winning with 4.0's vs 3.0's on Nitro instead of RAW hitting 7's or whatever. WWF didn't start winning via blow outs until closer to 99 anyway. 98 was still a lot of back and forth after April when RAW finally won a week IIRC.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WCW kept bringing Dog back. Shows up in 88. Leaves in early 89 after no showing WrestleWar. Bring him back in 90 and give him a pretty strong push as one of Sting's buddies. Leaves. Bring him back in 92. Does pretty much nothing and leaves. Bring him back in 93(!) and have him briefly team with Neidhart I believe.

88 makes sense as he still had a semblance of star power and just got fired from wwf a few months prior. 90 because he was still a big star in Ole's mind and 92 cause of Watts. 93 was Ole again as I think he was booking with Dusty a bit during that year.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
If you have to have JYD, for some reason, at least putting him with a guy like Newz makes sense. Both aren't good but are capable of popping a crowd in an opening match that would be trash if it goes more than two minutes. I'd rather that than them putting him with, like, Scorpio or something where he'd drag them down significantly and probably steal some heat.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
How close was WCW in signing the Warrior in 1995 before having to debut Renegade? They tease him quite a bit but I believe Hogan cut a promo where he clarified "this isn't the Ultimate Warrior, brother!".

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WCW kept bringing Dog back. Shows up in 88. Leaves in early 89 after no showing WrestleWar. Bring him back in 90 and give him a pretty strong push as one of Sting's buddies. Leaves. Bring him back in 92. Does pretty much nothing and leaves. Bring him back in 93(!) and have him briefly team with Neidhart I believe.

88 makes sense as he still had a semblance of star power and just got fired from wwf a few months prior. 90 because he was still a big star in Ole's mind and 92 cause of Watts. 93 was Ole again as I think he was booking with Dusty a bit during that year.

I want Meltz' review from 93.

Match is brief but predictably bad. JYD can't do anything with this tall, green kid so his offense is all armbars. Nash seems awkward doing anything to his fat legend opponent. DDP basically blows the finish and we get a Mr Hughes babyface turn I forgot happened.

Last edited:

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wish to dig deeper into the Vinnie Vegas rabbit hole. From what I recall, Nash sucked until Hall worked with him + he got to learn from Shawn every night in early 93. I'm not sure how many of these I will do.

Van Hammer was sort of notorious for sucking after getting at least a semblance of a push in 91 where he feuded with Cactus Jack. I can't see these 2 muscle heads doing anything good.

The recap shows this was a mini feud at least. Nash doesn't look nearly as jacked as he would become. His singlet isn't that much different than his Diesel look, so that isn't it.

Lots of "rest holds", and not even muscle guy stuff, just headlocks and arm holds. Nash does a leap frog!

Nash bumps more for Hammer than any match he had after 1997. The heels try to cheat, they collide and Hammer wins via a sort of botched back suplex into a bridge pin. Just a match and not anywhere near the historical stinker I was hoping for.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Now this could be madness! Two raw guys with totally different skill sets being tossed out there for 5 mins as part of a TV title tournament.
I really can't picture a good match out of these two at any point in the next 10 years.

Nash has lost his singlet. Winner faces Erik Watts next week. Oh my! RVD beat Shanghai Pierce in round 1. This tournament sounds epic. Nash got a bye in round one for killing Van Hammer before they could wrestle.

RVD is tossed around with ease, playing to Nash's size and RVD's much smaller status. A big bump to the floor by RVD. RVD gets a hope spot,, but Nash goes back to mauling him. Nash tries to go Lucha and leap from the ropes and finds no one below him, opening up a chance for RVD to bring the flippy kicks. Nash weathers those without bumping and goes back on offense.
RVD unloads more "martial arts" and Nash is still standing. RVD tries a moonsault out of desperatation and misses. Nash hits his Snake eyes and gets the win.
The squashy nature of this actually worked as Nash just got to do his big man stuff.
So now tomorrow I just HAVE to find Nash/Watts as that sounds like garbage.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Morton/Vegas vs Hammer/Zenk is really good.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Nash is 100% in the right yet it's one of those moments where people decide he was burying the product by not, I dunno, tripping in it or something.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's too bad he only thrived in one of the least seen eras of TNA. It's the pro wrestling equivalent of an NBA draft bust finally becoming a star in Greece. Probably a similar amount of people smoking cigarettes in the locker room.

Valeyard

Reaction score
What's even better is that he did it by sheer charisma. His work was still awful. But even then he got the buckle bomb on the map.