Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He was 20 years ahead of his time. In the era of the agile hoss, where big guys are encouraged to throw spin kicks. I think he'd at least be a touring star on the Indies if not a mid carder on TV somewhere.

We'll always have the epic hoss fight sprint he had with Roadblock at least.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Horsemen Dean could've rocked the Bond gimmick actually.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Idk if it was a set schedule. It was a Wednesday when I saw it in ‘98 but on Cagematch, it looks like they taped on Tuesdays sometimes. Thunder was live every other week in ‘98-99 so I think it may have depended on if it was one of the weeks where Thunder was live or taped.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I always assumed it was separate tapings for Saturday Night, Worldwide, and whatever other c-show was around by the end. But my memories of Saturday Night end with janitor Duggan beating junkie Regal in a match for the trash belt.

Mid-90s Saturday Night (or WCW TV, really) as the muthaship with the CGI construction equipment and shit is one of my favorite taping areas ever. They were able to make it feel as important or irrelevant as they wanted, somehow, and I always loved how it looked on TV.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Worldwide had separate tapings until January 1999 when they got merged with the WCW Saturday Night tapings. Sometime in ‘00, I think even slightly before Saturday Night became a recap show, Worldwide exclusives started getting taped before Thunder tapings.

Worldwide exclusives lasted almost till the end shockingly. Last one aired in late February 2001 (but was taped in December…which I guess is honestly better than the lag time for a lot of ‘90s Worldwide airdates)

Look at this 2001 Worldwide exclusive between two CXF favorites!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Harris is great. Shannon is a stupid brickface.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It does feel fitting that the last new match in Worldwide history was two generic hosses that hadn’t been on TV for months squashing some talented cruiserweights.

Valeyard

Reaction score
More like Asian guys getting squashed by big white guys, which is pretty WCW.

There has never been a good Harris Brothers match, has there?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like some people said they were better in ECW. It is hard to mess up a walk and brawl. Like I have seen obese Nasty Boys and a 60 year old Tony Atlas have watchable walk and brawl matches.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even after Hogan got there, WCW still seemed so damn Southern before Nitro.

Look at the first PPV main event without Hogan, The Rhodes and Nasty Boys Vs a stable of Southern hicks (with bodyguard Meng!)

Valeyard

Reaction score
We'd probably get Dustin on top by summer, which is about as far a cry from Hogan as a big promotion can be in 1995.

I wonder if Savage still jumps, though. I don't think he gets the same money but if he's pissed at how he was used, maybe it doesn't matter as much in that scenario.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That sounds really fun but is definitely not what I'd want.

Although Dustin getting to be a foil to the Benoit and Pillman Horsemen would've been great stuff.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Regarding Saturday night tapings.

After they were forced to tape at Disney during the 96 Summer Olympics, they basically taped every other week, usually on Tuesdays. Once they started taping two Thunders a night, the tapings were the same weeks as Thunder tapings until they killed the Saturday night show and moved it to Saturday morning as a recap show

Valeyard

Reaction score
I just really miss the comforting yet sterile tapings of the mid 90s with the CG factory equipment and the short aisle and Craig Pittman vs Brad Armstrong matches and Alex Wright and DDP feeding Evad his rabbit.