Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Puroresu Love & Resources V4

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Well this morning's Dream Gate match of champ Yuki Yoshioka defending against Masaaki Mochizuki easily jumped up to the top DragonGate singles match this year for me, neck-and-neck with the Twin Gate match from Kobe in July for overall fed MOTY

Oh and wouldn't you know, this morning's DG show is freely available (for one week) on the official website! Easy recommend for anyone still looking to get into the fed. For those who just want the high notes though, the leadup to a certain return starts around 1h51m, while the Dream Gate match begins about 2h10m

Between the return match and next Dream Gate match (set up at the end of this show), add Final Gate to the list of things looking forward to on Xmas day

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the full card for January 4:

• IWGP World Heavyweight title: Jay White defends against Kazuchika Okada
  • IWGP United States title: Will Ospreay defends against Kenny Omega
  • IWGP Junior Heavyweight title match: Taiji Ishimori defends against Hiromu Takahashi, El Desperado, and Master Wato in a four-way match
  • Keiji Mutoh, Hiroshi Tanahashi, and Shota Umino vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, and BUSHI
  • NEVER Openweight title: Karl Anderson defends against Tama Tonga
  • NJPW World TV title: Ren Narita vs. Zack Sabre Jr. to determine first champion
  • IWGP Tag Team titles: FTR defend against YOSHI-HASHI and Hirooki Goto
  • IWGP Women’s title: KAIRI defends against Tam Nakano
  • IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team titles: Francesco Akira and TJP defend against Lio Rush and YOH
  • Antonio Inoki Memorial Six-Man Tag: Togi Makabe, Satoshi Kojima, and Yuji Nagata vs. Tatsumi Fujinami, Minoru Suzuki, and Tiger Mask
  • Opening match: KOPW 2023/New Japan Rambo
  • Opening match: Ryohei Oiwa vs. Boltin Oleg in an exhibition match
Interesting card in some ways as Tanahashi and Naito don't have a "big" singles match but arguably it will be one of the most remembered matches as it's Mutoh's last NJPW match. SANADA being in it is also important as he was one of Mutoh's proteges.

Everything aside from maybe Anderson/Tama looks solid and I expect those two to work hard. The lack of HoT is notable and appreciated.

In other news Suzukigun's FINAL MATCH was announced for the 12/23 show
Main event: Suzuki-Gun Final- Suzuki-Gun (TAKA Michinoku, El Desperado, Lance Archer & Minoru Suzuki) vs Suzuki-Gun (Taichi, Zack Sabre Jr., Yoshinobu Kanemaru & DOUKI)

They also announced that DASH will have a mystery format with no opponents announced until the actual match entrance.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Ditto, and if that wasn't enough I imagine there's an extra level of agony that the GHC match is being displaced by two wrestlers who are most associated with their biggest competitor

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
That NOAH show was a hell of a show, almost felt like a first night of WK or something in some ways.

Particularly, the title matches were all pretty fuckin strong. I also thought that multi-man tag with Hase as the mystery guy was also pretty fun. Thatcher tore it up as well in the match with Morris, and a fun surprise with Jake Lee showing up. Nice balance of surprise talents showing up mixed with excellent ring-work. The staging was also pretty swank for a NOAH show.

I get why they did the Muta/Nakamura last, but in ascending match to match to a better quality bout, this match would have been better served perhaps even before the title matches, or in the very least before the tag and GHC title bouts (which were both MOTY condenders). I felt like the Muta/Shin bout had the crowd support, and seeing Shin back in his old form and feel was great, and the match was far better than I thought it would be. But still to have that at the end with no Japan return in sight for Nakamura (thought for sure he would do a WK cameo) kind of felt like a kerplunk moment a bit.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

• Tetsuya Naito vs. Kenoh
  • Shingo Takagi vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima
  • SANADA vs. Manabu Soya
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs. Hajime Ohara
  • BUSHI vs. Tadasuke
  • Kazuchika Okada & Togi Makabe vs. Kaito Kiyomiya & Yoshiki Inamura
  • Ryusuke Taguchi, Master Wato & Tiger Mask vs. AMAKUSA, Junta Miyawaki & Alejandro
  • El Desperado vs. YO-HEY
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi, Toru Yano, Satoshi Kojima & Takashi Sugiura vs. Naomichi Marufuji, KENTA, El Phantasmo & Gedo
  • Tomohiro Ishii & Oskar Leube vs. Masa Kitamiya & Daiki Inaba
  • Kosei Fujita & Ryohei Oiwa vs. Yasutaka Yano & Taishi Ozawa
This card is really really good. The top two matches especially should be FANTASTIC.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
New Beginning in Osaka:
  • IWGP World Heavyweight title: Kazuchika Okada defends against Shingo Takagi
  • NEVER Openweight title: Tama Tonga defends against El Phantasmo
  • Loser leaves Japan: Jay White vs. Hikuleo
  • Minoru Suzuki, El Desperado, and Ren Narita vs. EVIL, Yujiro Takahashi, and SHO
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. KENTA
  • Master Wato vs. Taiji Ishimori
  • Tomoaki Honma, Shota Umino, Tiger Mask, and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, Hiromu Takahashi, and BUSHI
  • Toru Yano and Oskar Leube vs. Great-O-Khan and Aaron Henare

solid cards

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL okada and kiyomiya are doing a worked maeda and kiyomiya angle. this is fucking awesome. they're beating the fuck out of each other

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

hopefully this stays up. some legit really stiff shots here. obviously an angle but kiyomiya looked like he got hm really good on the first shot.

This is the best angle done in Japan in forever and OKada/Kiyomiya wold be a huge match if they could work out how to di it. Personally I'd love to see Okada actually go over to NOAH for a couple months and win the title there before dropping it back to Kiyomiya. It would cement Okada as an alltime GOAT and be huge for NOAH's business. Politically it would be very difficult but it isn't unprecedented by any means.