Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random Thoughts & Topics v2

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
So Atlus is saved from death but bought by the guys who can't figure out what to do with Sonic.

...persona is fucked.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
Dead Island: Epidemic (now in MOBA/ZOMBA form!) is entering closed alpha in America (I guess it's been open elsewhere?). I'm in.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
DrVenkman said:
Jeez no one told me today was National Video Game Day? Well, here's this video about baseball:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTUArx4lvrU

No Virtual Boy baseball? What a rip.

...oh right, evolution. Not devolution. Got'cha.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm watching LoL Worlds in what looks like a packed Staples Center.

I have no idea what is going on...but shit seems hype.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just finished Saints Row 3 on PS Plus. Yeah, the first time I decided to go after Killbane and not save Shaundi. I'm a bastard.

So I decided to just run through Assassin's Creed Revelations real quick next and yeah....why the sudden better graphics and CG scenes? I don't remember this coming too far after Brotherhood but the graphics increased like it'd been 10 years between releases.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just played the The Stanley Parable Demo. Which... that's a heck of a thing. You should probably play that, right now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221910

I figured I'd download it on my netbook, back it up, and try it on the desktop later. I gave it a shot, and it actually ran reasonably well on the netbook, at native resolution, with most of the visual stuff turned way down. It's a first-person game, which was not working so well with a trackpad. I had the bright idea to try using my right index finger on the Lenovo red nubby thing I never use, and just gets in the way when I try to type a "B", and makes a little checkerboardy imprint in the middle of my screen... and that was actually alright too.

I made my way through the demo, taking my time to appreciate the flavour. I won't give it away--I don't know what I could give away--other than there's this room with some important buttons, and it's uncanny how much it knew me. Anyways. I made my way to a fork in the road, and kind of took the easy way out, rather than answer an important question. Once I saw that door shut behind me, I thought maybe I should go back and tackle the critical issue I'd skipped. The Restart Demo menu option didn't work, so I went back to the main menu, and started again there.

The second time, I rushed through with little flavour. I got back to the vital decision at hand... only to find the game had again seemingly peered into my soul, to find the innate indecision and gridlock in my mind, and thankfully saved me from having to choose a side.

I continued on a little ways more; saw a magazine about ducks. Seemingly nearing the climax, and having an infinite amount of fun with an exciting new button, I thought I'd see what my little netbook could do. I turned up the shaders and textures and all that stuff to max... and the game crashed. Which oddly enough, is exactly in line with the rest of the demo experience.

I give this game 8 out of 5.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.videogamer.com/pc/the_walking_dead_season_two/news/telltale_working_on_dream_ip_it_cant_wait_to_announce.html

Telltale Games is working on a selection of "dream IP" alongside the upcoming season of The Walking Dead that it "can't wait to announce".

Co-founders Dan Connors and Kevin Bruner discussed the developer's future in an Ask Me Anything on Reddit – hinting at the possibility of a Star Wars title.

"A Telltale Star Wars game would make me VERY happy!" said Bruner. "We've got some IP coming up that pretty much checks all of my personal favourites, which absolutely amazes/honours me."

"Coming from LucasArts we have so many people here that love Star Wars and have worked with the license so that would be a great fit and very cool," added Connors. "In addition we will be working on a few licenses that definitely fall into our dream IP scenario and we can't wait to announce those."

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
So has anyone picked up Assassin's Creed IV yet? The reviews make it seem like an improvement over 3 but still kind of unfocused. The pirate theme just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
I haven't picked it up yet, but its gotten good reviews. From what I understand, you have to have an internet connection in order to commandeer any ships you overtake in single player mode.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KingPK said:
So has anyone picked up Assassin's Creed IV yet? The reviews make it seem like an improvement over 3 but still kind of unfocused. The pirate theme just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I picked it up. I've enjoyed it so far. I didn't like the ship stuff in III, but don't mind it in IV. I've only done one real mission, all the other stuff has been side stuff so far. It's nice they don't coddle and bore you for the first hour or two like they did in III. You get thrown right into the action.

Exslade ZX

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I could have sworn we had a computer help thread...but I don't feel like searching for it..so!

Does anyone have experience hooking their computer up to their Television? I just bought a DVI/HDMI cord, so that I can now display my screen through my television as well. And it looks amazing. So I'm running a "Dual monitor" set up.

Now, how do I get sound to come through my television? I can't figure it out. As of right now, sound is only coming from my computer speakers.

edit- Or is it not possible for a DVI cord to pick up an audio signal, like I think I may be reading? Which just ruins the whole setup I had in my head lol. While my speakers are great, not sure if I like the sound coming from no where near the TV

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
DVI is a video-only signal. Does your computer not have an HDMI output?

The most basic option for audio would be something like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

Out the green jack on your computer's motherboard/sound card (or headphone jack on a laptop), and in... some kind of input on the TV. I don't know if I've ever done that specific setup, so I'm not sure if the TV would manage video through HDMI and audio from another input. (I usually do video from HDMI->DVI to a monitor, and audio to computer speakers.)

Exslade ZX

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ah, well when comparing the cost of 25ft DVI cable to a 25ft HDMI cable I just went with the cheaper option as I thought they did the same thing. (although after checking, I don't have an HDMI cable on my computer so I guess I went with the right option.)

But thanks for the help. Your suggestion should work. And luckily I have most of the pieces as I've done something similar before when I wanted to run headphones straight to this tv, which doesn't have a headphone jack. So all I need is the jack you posted, or a male to male audio jack.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Telltale is rumored to be working on a Game of Thrones game: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/21/telltale-is-developing-a-game-of-thrones-game

If they can stick with the same episodic awesomeness of Walking Dead and A Wolf Among Us, then this will be amazing. Can't wait (if true)!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh, Also:

jxgGMp6GHSLQm.png

:D

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is incredibly stupid. The Giant Bomb crew watch the Giant Bomb Twitch stream on Xbox One during the Giant Bomb Xbox One Twitch stream. Click here, or skip to about 29:53 below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWVEyE_iaCs&t=29m53s

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
Giving Wrestling Spirit 3 a try. In an early storyline where you have to win 4 matches to succeed, and more than 1 loss is a failure. I lose my first match to a random DDT busting me open in a First Blood match, and my second match I miss a finisher Fat Guy Splash & get pinned off of it. My options are apparently to switch to a finisher that'll fail to finish the match 25% of the time or concede the fact that an 85% pin rate on a finisher means a 10% pin rate off of missing it (which I'll do 80% of the time)

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Marvel vs. Capcom games and DLC are being removed from Xbox Live & PlayStation Network. Looks like tomorrow is the last day on PSN, while XBL should be available until December 26th.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2013/12/13/last-days-for-umvc3-and-mvc2-on-psnxbla-store

PlayStation Network currently has many MvC items on sale.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/12/10/playstation-store-update-323/

Xbox Live will have a sale starting tomorrow.
http://majornelson.com/2013/12/16/countdown-to-2014-deals-start-tuesday/

Exslade ZX

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Need some PC help gentlemen.

Having a problem with my audio. I can not get a mic to work. Trying to skype and both mics I've tried (which I'm pretty sure work) do nothing. The volume bar moves when I touch the mic, but doesn't when I talk into it. Just found out what the problem was.

I guess my computer is on internal/digital audio or something? As when I played a Youtube video, while on skype, they said they could hear the video playing. Not sure exactly how to get it back to normal. (Am on Windows 7)

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
Exslade ZX said:
Need some PC help gentlemen.

Having a problem with my audio. I can not get a mic to work. Trying to skype and both mics I've tried (which I'm pretty sure work) do nothing. The volume bar moves when I touch the mic, but doesn't when I talk into it. Just found out what the problem was.

I guess my computer is on internal/digital audio or something? As when I played a Youtube video, while on skype, they said they could hear the video playing. Not sure exactly how to get it back to normal. (Am on Windows 7)
Control Panel - Sound - Recording tab - change default device to the microphone you want to use.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score

I wish it said no UAAAHHHHHHHH anywhere, but it's a good start Magfest.

Not sure why pic isn't working. Will work on it later

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You've got an extra "http:" in there, plus the wrong slash in the closing image tag.

uahh.jpg

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Aha. Posting pics from mobile sucks. Thanks, I'll just leave mine broken. UAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.