Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random Thoughts & Topics v2

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Didn't want to dredge up the old topic but I found myself playing Portal and Portal 2 over the last few days and now all I want is a Portal 3 announcement at E3 this year. It's been long enough.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Portal 2 was so amazing that I pretty much instantly resigned myself to the fact that there will never be a 3.

Eventually I need to play the portal expansion for Lego Dimensions, at least it's got a new Coulton song.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KingPK said:
There is an open beta for The Division this weekend. I played a bit and it seems like a really cool game.

I played the closed beta a couple of weeks ago, and really enjoying the open beta. The Dead Zone is a lot more Wild West this time around, as the devs have made the NPCs much tougher, and the servers seem to let more people into each instance, which leads to a lot more shootouts and rouge agents running around. Makes soloing much more difficult, but more personally rewarding too. The new mission is pretty fun too, although the boss is pretty tough to solo. MASSIVE bullet sponge. Not much else seems to have changed too drastically on the single player side.

I do wish Ubisoft would support clans but it's a double edged sword. You can invite friends to your instance, so it's not too bad to get a group together.

Only 2 1/2 weeks to go. Got my Gold edition already paid off and ready for launch day.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the beta, but I'm not sure how long lasting this game's appeal will be. Shooting is tight and fun and reminds me of Mass Effect, but those bullet sponge enemies are annoying. Sniper rifles were useless in the dark zone given that it took 3-4 headshots just to kill a standard NPC grunt. I will say that having a matchmaking feature means that I might give this a chance, whereas I'll never touch Destiny.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Edwin said:
I really enjoyed the beta, but I'm not sure how long lasting this game's appeal will be. Shooting is tight and fun and reminds me of Mass Effect, but those bullet sponge enemies are annoying. Sniper rifles were useless in the dark zone given that it took 3-4 headshots just to kill a standard NPC grunt. I will say that having a matchmaking feature means that I might give this a chance, whereas I'll never touch Destiny.

Yeah sniping is not as effective as it usually is. I actually partied with a couple of friends last night and we got it down to a science where I'd use my LMG or assault rifle to strip an NPCs armor and then my friend would snipe. That was about the only way it was effective. If we got swarmed and had to focus on different mobs, he'd get in serious trouble because he couldn't snipe his way out of it.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I'm having far too much fun playing Blacklight: Retribution. I've already dumped money into it. I feel shame over this until I lay proximity mines and wait for people to trip them.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got AC: Rogue for my bday and been having fun playing it although I wouldn't have wanted anyone to play full new video game price for it since it's main game is like half the length of a normal AC game it feels like. But if you like more Piratey goodness then it gives you that in spades with some fun twists. My favourite is how they changed the boarding cannon from only firing like 3 shots to firing something like 10-15 (as upgraded) so by combining it with eagle vision you'll never have to board a ship again except to cut a flag down. Sure cuts down on time!

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
There was a Beavis and Butthead arcade game:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-08-the-beavis-and-butth-head-arcade-game-prototype-restored
The game looks fun. Too bad it wasn't mass produced.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPnTa1UJPEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4LUasFly0c

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rocket League Hoops update is live on Steam, and possibly elsewhere. Full patch notes:
http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/04/patch-notes-v1-17-pcps4/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcT706B4eZI

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
AnonymousBroccoli said:
Rocket League Hoops update is live on Steam, and possibly elsewhere. Full patch notes:
http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/04/patch-notes-v1-17-pcps4/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcT706B4eZI
This is the most frustratingly enjoyable update yet. Snow Day has been my favorite mutation, but Hoops really tests how good you are at aerials (which I suck at).

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Titanfall developer Respawn are making a 3rd-person action-adventure Star Wars game. The team developing it is led by Stig Asmussen, who was game director on God of War III, and worked on art and animation in earlier GoW games.

http://www.ea.com/news/the-force-is-strong-with-respawn-entertainment

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just picked up the Oral-B Pro 5000 Series electric toothbrush off Amazon for about $84 thanks to a $15 off Coupon + it being on sale already at $60 off. The 7000 Series reviews all seemed to knock the shitty battery life and the radically marked up price for essentially a travel case + tongue scraper.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
GOG has a new program called GOG Connect. If you already own a game on Steam, you can have a DRM-free version added to your GOG library.

It's only select games, though, and is only offered for a limited time. To start, there's 22 games, and this batch will be taken down in 5 days. The Witness, Braid, FTL, and a potentially less-broken Saints Row 2 are on the list.

The system's getting hammered, so it might take a few days for the games to be recognized on GOG's end.

https://www.gog.com/connect
https://www.gog.com/news/introducing_gog_connect

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Got Overwatch as a gift and it is a pretty dang fun game. :D Really enjoying it.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone cares enough to do an E3 thread, but EA's press conference did very little for me aside from Mass Effect Andromeda and they didn't even show all that much. Guess if you like FIFA and Star Wars games you are in hog heaven.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Flik said:
Got Overwatch as a gift and it is a pretty dang fun game. :D Really enjoying it.
Overwatch is wonderful. I've got a nice big backlog of 80-hour RPGs to play and this has just spiked them all.

The trailer for Mass Effect Andromeda was pretty weak, but I kinda expected that with the delay. If they needed to push the game back, they probably didn't have something they really wanted to show off right now.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
It is kind of funny. I say a lot of nice and cheerful things while playing Overwatch and people find it odd. Like if someone else makes a good play, I'm like "great job". Or if someone kills me I'm like "aw, nice shot" or "masterful team kill". It seems to shock a lot of players. Is it really that negative out there?

All in all, after only a few days of play, I've managed to sneak my way to level 18, I think. Got some decent skins for the few characters I know well with my hard earned Overpoints and a few others here or there.

The characters I'm good with so far are Junkrat, D.Va, Reinhardt and Symmetra. Junkrat for when I need to do some distance area bombing, D.Va for consistent pressure, Reinhardt to be a boss, and Symmetra for a defensive stand. While I don't have a particular character that I would call my "main", the most time I've probably put in would be Symmetra, though Reinhardt has been closely followed.

However, I finally figured out how to play Zenyatta on one stage during the random hero weekly challenge. Just rocked it so hard that I earned the one card at the end of the match that I had only seen once, before I got it, which is the MVP card (76% elimination participation). Even better, I got 5 different people to vote for me so I got my first and only commendation by so many people. It was so nice. No, I didn't earn the PotG, but the guy who did earned my vote because he so deserved it for team killing. Also, no, it wasn't a Bastion but a Reinhardt who did it.

Though I need to figure out a good offensive character. I'm lacking in that area badly. While I can more or less play each offensive character, I'm not too good with them. I keep forgetting with them to hit and run or wait for the support (class or just some back up). I should probably go Soldier, just because I can heal myself and get into 1v1s.

I'm trying to at least get good with one of each class so that I can rotate characters frequently as needed. Be the guy who everyone can depend upon should they need me. Though, that also means I need to figure out how to play either Widowmaker or Hanzo for sniping. The builder class I have with Symmetra thankfully.

Okay, that was longer than I meant, but oh well. I'm having fun and that's all that matters.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You're not acting like a rage addled 14 year old. Of course the internet is going to find that odd.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pharah was the first character I took to on offense. Lots of mobility, tons of splash damage on the rockets. If you like Junkrat, you can probably do well with Pharah, too, as her rockets and concussion blast are basically straight line versions of his grenades and mine.