Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random Thoughts & Topics v2

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
AntiLeaf33 said:
I remember Doom on SNES being like $109.99 or something crazy like that. Then add on 15% sales tax. No wonder why I only had 4 or 5 SNES games.

You could still get them cheap if you didn't buy them brand new, so I had a lot of games. But yeah, those new release prices were ridiculous. I only ever paid upwards of $100 for a game once, just because I had to have it on the day of release and wasn't willing to wait. The game was Chrono Trigger.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chrono Trigger was my greatest SNES purchasing triumph. It was selling for $84.99 at Electronics Boutique and Babbage's, and then I saw in the Sunday circular maybe a week or two after it came out that Walmart had it for $57. I basically took it to my parents and explained that after Sunday dinner they had to drive me out there or my life as they knew it would be ruined since I'd need three more weeks of saving my allowance otherwise. Invoking financial responsibility was like the holy grail of getting to "fine, we'll take you to stupid Walmart" for a 12-year-old.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My biggest SNES purchasing triumph was stumbling across a used copy of Earthbound (complete with box, manuals, and Player's Guide) at Blockbuster for $10 about a year after it came out. I played that game to death afterwards.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
The iOS Deus Ex game will be updated to work properly for jail broken devices, because they didn't fucking tell people that before making them pay for it. One could assume that future Square Enix iOS releases might have the same feature and just tell you before you buy it. Which is still bullshit, but it's better than saying "Thanks for your money, now FUCK YOU!"

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Hopefully it's nothing but spiders and snakes that you fight with a knife, and your gun shoots kanji that people into frogs.

Edit: He has that ugly Ultimate Warrior hair too! Hopefully the 8th Generation fixes this.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Operation Rainfall is doing a poll on which games to try to get localized next! http://operationrainfall.com/vote-to-localize-sega-konami-polls/

YAKUZA 5 in the SEGA section was a no-brainer vote for me. WANT WANT WANT!

UPDATE 07/17/2013- Wow, the results so far have been great! It is good to see so many passionate fans doing their part for game localization. We’d like to clarify to our voters that the point of the polls is to show SEGA and Konami that there is an genuine interest for these games to be localized and that people will buy them. Even though ultimately there will be a “winner”, there are no losers, as all polling information about all games will be sent to SEGA and Konami. Ultimately, the games that get the most votes will take first priority, but it is still possible that the other games in the polls will also be pitched as well. Thanks to those that have participated so far!
=====
As we announced on June 5th, 2013, we have entered a partnership with Language Automation, Inc., (LAI), a company that specializes in game localization. LAI will be offering companies a discount on their localization fee if the companies choose to localize the games the oprainfall community votes on and promotes. There may even be ways that certain individuals within the community could be elected to help with the localization process!

It is fair to note that even if a game wins a poll or has many votes, there is no guarantee that it will be localized. The poll’s purpose is to allow LAI to go to the publishers with some extra ammunition to help convince them to localize the game. If you ever wanted to see any of these games localized in the West, this could be the game’s best chance! So if you see a favorite game on the list, be sure to vote for it and send it to everyone you know to vote for it, as well.

Today, we bring you the first of hopefully many articles based on this partnership. As you will see below, we have two polls—one for SEGA games, and one for Konami games. These companies were chosen because LAI has worked on localization projects with them in the past. In case you are not familiar with any of the games listed, we have also provided descriptions so you’ll know what they’re about. Be sure to use the comments section to let us know why you voted for the game or games you would like to see localized!

For more information about Language Automation, Inc., and what they do, check out their official website at www.lai.com.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The NCAA just announced that they will not be renewing their contract with EA Sports beyond this season. It's an obvious reaction to the lawsuits filed on behalf of a bunch of former players over rights to their likenesses, though the NCAA tried to pretend it isn't. Individual schools and conferences have their own contracts, so it's possible that some of those are still going on or could be renewed independently and we'd get some kind of goofy "College Football 2015" game featuring only certain teams and no NCAA trademarks.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
jimmy no nose said:
The NCAA just announced that they will not be renewing their contract with EA Sports beyond this season. It's an obvious reaction to the lawsuits filed on behalf of a bunch of former players over rights to their likenesses, though the NCAA tried to pretend it isn't. Individual schools and conferences have their own contracts, so it's possible that some of those are still going on or could be renewed independently and we'd get some kind of goofy "College Football 2015" game featuring only certain teams and no NCAA trademarks.

No more yearly expansion packs...I mean new games?

I bet I could spend a few years playing on just this year's version before really needing a new one.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
They re-signed with the CLC (who represents most of the teams and conferences) for three years, but without the NCAA backing it's feasible any team could opt out of the CLC's agreement with EA and not be represented if they so chose.

EA also confirmed College Football 15 next year on next-gen.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Actually, being in the CLC means they need to pull out fully or go with everything. So it probably isn't in the interest of nearly most teams and schools to do so.

Though, means we're without SEC as I believe they do their own licensing.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Anyone play DotA2? I heard about some sort of huge tournament coming up, so I figured to find out what's so great about it.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've played a very, very little bit of Dota 2. And I watched a 40-minute tutorial video several months ago, when it was in beta. I learned some basics:

• It controls like an RTS (it was originally a WarCraft III mod [custom map?]).
  • It's 5-on-5 as far as hero characters go, with re-spawning waves of AI grunts on each side.
  • Each team's home base is in the bottom-left, or top-right corner of the map. There are 3 "lanes" on the map—top, middle, and bottom—with defence towers along the way.
  • Basic goal is to advance your team into the opposing team's territory, and eventually wipe out their base.

I learned some about last hit and denying—you only earn gold for your character if you get the killing shot on an enemy, and you can target your own grunts/units to kill them off, and deny gold for the opposing team (not sure if you get gold yourself). Gold buys items, which could be potions or town portals, or RPG-type armour and weapons and rings and such to upgrade yourself. I didn't dig too much into the item system.

I'm pretty sure you earn XP for being in the general area of enemies being killed off. You level up, and gain new spells and such. You'll earn some gold and XP from killing the grunts (and possibly the towers), but I'm pretty sure you see the biggest gains by killing opposing heroes.

I think the main source of depth—aside from being a multi-player game—is the ridiculous number of hero characters that you can choose from. Initially you'll want to find a character or characters that you enjoy. But then you'll want to learn about the others, just so you'll recognise them in the game, and know how to handle them. And also so you'll mesh well with other players on your team.

I don't like it that much, but I also don't particularly like competitive RTS-type games; nor do I play co-op games much. It seems to be a game you kinda have to devote a fair amount of time to, which I also don't care to do.

There wasn't much of a tutorial during the beta, but there seems to be a bit of one now, with the public release. It's free to play, so there's not much to lose. As I understand it, any money you spend is going to be on purely cosmetic items.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Oh, okay, cool. Thanks for that. Probably not my thing, but I'll give it at least a try.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Fez II has been cancelled due to the recent spat between Phil Fish (creator) and Marcus Beer of Gametrailers. Basically, it was a personal attack on Phil Fish and he finally had enough of the industry doing that and so has quit.

Phil wasn't the greatest guy, but was it really necessary to attack him on a personal level? Especially for not commenting on some rumors about Xbone?

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Phil Fish comes off as a petulant child whenever he opens his mouth (or types on his keyboard). Good riddance.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.humblebundle.com/

Humble Deep Silver Bundle

Pay $1 or more to receive:
Saints Row: The Third
Saints Row 2
Risen 2: Dark Waters
Sacred 2 Gold

Beat the Average Price (currently $4.69) and get:
Dead Island
Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package

Pay $25 or more and get:
Dead Island Riptide

No DRM-free or cross-platform this time; it's all Windows Steam keys.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/take-two-files-new-bully-trademark/
I am excite (but not writing an article as such because that's dubq's domain)

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I dunno, I started playing it again at work the other night and I'm having fun with it. I think being forced to restrain themselves because of the school setting really ended up helping Rockstar out.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Has anyone ever played the card game Cards Against Humanity? Played it with a bunch of people on Saturday, many laughs were had. Great party game.