Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

So, Roseanne is getting a revival...

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
She's usually liberal but she hates Hillary for some reason and supported Trump just because he wasn't her.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
it's obvious why she supported him:

screen_shot_2016-02-15_at_10.26.51_am.png

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Epic Reine said:
She's usually liberal but she hates Hillary for some reason and supported Trump just because he wasn't her.

She sounds like she wasn't a Trumper, but felt Hillary would lead to more PC and more globalism. She wants a big government to a point, but only for a few things. She's pro-union.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnxZskltvQA

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
ah man I can no longer find her tweet about autists now being in control of the world like she predicted back in 2010.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm so torn about this whole thing because I'm rooting for most of this cast so hard, Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman are two of my favorite people in "hollywood". And I LOVED this show when I was a kid, it was one of the last shows I remember my whole family watched together every week no matter what. But God, Roseanne Barr circa 2017 is totally insufferable. I wish they could just be like "lol actually roseanne died, not dan, now heres the rest of the cast in a show..."

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm with you Cookie. We loved this show in my household and watched it religiously. When it made it to syndication it was always on right around dinner time so we usually watched it while we ate too (my house was set up where you could see the living room tv from the dining room table) so I feel like I've seen every episode at least 3 times.

I just don't expect this to be very good at all unfortunately.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They're already getting some liberal outrage for calling The Conners, an all-white family, the family that "looks like us." I wasn't personally offended but I'm also white.

Staff member
Reaction score
CookieMueller said:
They're already getting some liberal outrage for calling The Conners, an all-white family, the family that "looks like us." I wasn't personally offended but I'm also white.

I genuinely believe some of this outrage culture is fueled by Russian bots, who easily push stuff on people who are fully willing to be manipulated. People need to chill the fuck out.

That being said I have no intention of watching this because politics is going to be injected into the show and I'm tired of it.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not sure who they're aiming at with "the family that looks like us" though - how much of the audience watching this are actually overweight white trash?

Staff member
Reaction score
what.the.hell.have.i said:
I'm not sure who they're aiming at with "the family that looks like us" though - how much of the audience watching this are actually overweight white trash?

That's still the majority of people in this country so...90%

I had a lot of black friends growing up and do now. I have never heard a single one of them ever talk about white people shit like this show, or Friends, or Seinfeld, etc.

Staff member
Reaction score
In that way there's nothing wrong with the marketing, because that is quite truthful. It's not like WWE or real sports where so much of the audience is of a different race that pandering to anyone in particular is genuinely offensive.

I'm still surprised somebody would green light that kind of marketing in 2018. Even though it really will be only white people watching that show, it's weird to hear someone outright say that.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
209 said:
CookieMueller said:

I genuinely believe some of this outrage culture is fueled by Russian bots, who easily push stuff on people who are fully willing to be manipulated. People need to chill the fuck out.

That being said I have no intention of watching this because politics is going to be injected into the show and I'm tired of it.

Politics being shoehorned in is the reason I'm not watching. I know we live in a completely different world from 25-30 years ago, but I don't remember the original series mentioning H.W. or Clinton at all.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
So did anyone catch this? I plan on checking it out tomorrow after work but wanted to see if there were any early thoughts.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My dad, a diehard republican, loved it. He texted me raving about it "even though I didn't like the original!" so I'm probably gonna wait a few more episodes before I give it a try. He did have one complaint - he didn't like the trans kid, shock shock.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My republican parents loved it but I thought it gave each side some time to shine, so not terrible from me.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
It had it's original humor that was great about the original run. It felt like it was the same show, not just trying to be the same show. Some things felt a little bit forced, politically speaking, but overall, if you like the original run, you'll probably like it.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I thought it was alright. The first episode being centered around the 2016 election felt pretty dated.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I felt like Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman were still in high form which was to be expected. It had the usual authentic feel that we come to expect from this show and the humor was on point and both sides of the political spectrum were heard and it was heard like how actual people communicate.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Youth N Asia said:
I thought it was alright. The first episode being centered around the 2016 election felt pretty dated.

The President hasn't gotten over the election, and there's millions all hot and bothered on both sides, so I think it's relevant. I'm a political junkie and laughed like hell, so my opinion is probably bias.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Eh, the first episode was ok, just re-establishing the feel of the series. I'm sure it'll get better.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
The revival of Roseanne premiered to massive ratings Tuesday night.

The return delivered an incredible 18.2 million viewers along with an equally impressive 5.1 rating among adults 18-49.

According to ABC, this is the highest-rated comedy telecast on any network in nearly four years (since a premiere episode of CBS’ The Big Bang Theory from 2014).

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/28/roseanne-ratings/

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
CookieMueller said:
Has he taken credit for it yet?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-praises-roseanne-during-infrastructure-speech-look-at-her-ratings/

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watched the first episode via torrent. It was eye-rollingly bad.