Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

So, Roseanne is getting a revival...

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gary Amin said:
CookieMueller said:
Has he taken credit for it yet?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-praises-roseanne-during-infrastructure-speech-look-at-her-ratings/

Wow, I was half kidding but of course he would. I hope all the liberals that work on that show hear him saying "It was about me!"

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh, piss off Brody. I was a huge fan of the original series, so I think I'm entitled to my opinion. If I was going be able to make a negative comment about this revival, I'd have to at least watch one episode in order to do that. And I don't hate-watch anything. It's a waste of my time and my name isn't whatever Damaramu's real name is.

Episode two was a bit better, but still felt nothing like the original series. The whole thing with Becky's egg seems like a bizarre stance for Roseanne to take re: her body/her choice (especially given older episodes of this series).

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also didn't think it was very funny, but I don't watch sitcoms much so I'm probably not the target demographic. The problems I had weren't with the Trump stuff because they gave it back to him. Jackie is one of the show's most likable characters so the fact that she's bashing Trump the whole time is sort of like the hero of the story hating Trump. Dan, the other truly lovable character, never even takes a stance (I only watched the first episode) It sort of felt like they wanted Dan to be a Trump supporter too but John Goodman feels he's not THAT good of an actor. Maybe it comes out more in future episodes but honestly the show would be best to shift focus off of the heavy political stuff. It's not as if this show as a political think tank during its original run.

Staff member
Reaction score
Roseanne made a racist comment about Valerie Jarrett and the show has immediately been cancelled.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was going to make that joke too, but ABC has said they own the rights and will sue any network that tries to pick it up. So, fuck off Roseanne.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Future Stars said:
I was going to make that joke too, but ABC has said they own the rights and will sue any network that tries to pick it up. So, fuck off Roseanne.

Also, Allen's comments were fucked up, but I'm pretty sure they were mostly done in jest (no I'm not defending him or his comments). Rosanne used racist language, not to mention relying on George Soros conspiracy theories that may have a tinge of antisemitism to them (ironic since she's Jewish).

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see the conservative outrage where they act like Roseanne's 1st amendment rights are being trampled while simultaneously telling NFL players to STFU.

Staff member
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:
It'll definitely get picked up by Fox. Just you wait.

No, it won't. The cast isn't going to want to work with someone who made those comments. Earlier this year Roseanne and Goodman were on Jimmy Kimmel and it looked like it was taking everything inside of Goodman to not start going off on her.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Can we at least get a Dan Connor spin off ala Archie Bunker’s Place. Tell me you wouldn’t watch John Goodman as a remorseful widow running a bar. Just get John Goodman on tv is all we ever wanted because he was tremendous on this season of Roseanne especially the final episode.

Staff member
Reaction score
Hawk 34 said:
Can we at least get a Dan Connor spin off ala Archie Bunker’s Place. Tell me you wouldn’t watch John Goodman as a remorseful widow running a bar. Just get John Goodman on tv is all we ever wanted because he was tremendous on this season of Roseanne especially the final episode.

I want John Goodman doing anything so. Maybe they will!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would laugh if they brought this show back without Roseanne and just had her killed off, off-screen. How appropriate. (Maybe Dan was writing a book the entire time. ;) )

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
no fact said:
I would laugh if they brought this show back without Roseanne and just had her killed off, off-screen. How appropriate. (Maybe Dan was writing a book the entire time. ;) )
Replace Roseanne with Christopher Plummer. Or Kevin James since his show got canceled.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Roseanne Barr was getting the most out of the show coming back anyways since her career was in the gutter in the twenty years it was gone. Goodman is bigger than the show at this point and will continue to get great acting gigs in movies. Metcalf has a ton of momentum coming off her Best Supporting Actress nomination and will probably get some good roles as well. Sara Gilbert still has The Talk and Sarah Chalke always seems to be working. The Actors playing DJ and the first Becky didn't seem to really care about the acting game post Roseanne and will probably go back to their normal lives.

That said, I'd probably watch a Dan Connor led sitcom about dealing with Roseanne's death following a heart attack on the toilet.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/kathygriffin/status/1001544264944267265

This whole thread is really good from Kathy.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1001542482700664832

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/ReutersBiz/status/1001526536523141121

Come on man... don't tell me Roseanne is that big of an entity that a company loses 4 billion from firing her. That's gotta be bullshit.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the reboot and am sad I won't get to watch it anymore or see some storylines I feel they were setting up paid off, but she can't get away with that shit and I'm glad someone is holding her accountable.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but I know little of American legal matters- is it possible that any cast/crew sues her because this tweet cost them their job?

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
⚰ said:
https://twitter.com/ReutersBiz/status/1001526536523141121

Come on man... don't tell me Roseanne is that big of an entity that a company loses 4 billion from firing her. That's gotta be bullshit.

I'm sure the disappointing numbers for Solo didn't help either.

Staff member
Reaction score
Lord of The Curry said:
Maybe a stupid question but I know little of American legal matters- is it possible that any cast/crew sues her because this tweet cost them their job?

Nope.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Reruns have also been pulled. So her Tweeting not only cost the cast and crew of the current product a paycheck, but also cost the cast residuals. Fuck her sideways. And this isn't just about 1 Tweet today. ABC has been getting more and more pissed at her, but let it slide. Today was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
At the end of the day, ABC knew exactly who they were hiring. This isn't something they just found out about her. They saw dollar signs and when the time came where they couldn't profit on her anymore, they cut her loose. It's all a fucking business at the end of the day.

NYU

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Detective Ventriloquist said:
Reruns have also been pulled. So her Tweeting not only cost the cast and crew of the current product a paycheck, but also cost the cast residuals. Fuck her sideways. And this isn't just about 1 Tweet today. ABC has been getting more and more pissed at her, but let it slide. Today was just the straw that broke the camels back.

I can understand her current reboot being cancelled — I’m sure ABC was sick of her ridiculous personal views but was hoping for the best by renewing the show for Season 2 — but the reruns being pulled seems to be an overreaction. I hate the mentality that once somebody does something that could be considered offensive that all past history of them must be erased indefinitely i.e. Hulk Hogan. Her personal views may be deplorable but that doesn’t nor should it take away from the fact that she had an excellent sitcom over twenty years ago that has withstood the test of time. Prevent her from doing any new work but it’s silly and short-sighted to suddenly act as if her past work doesn’t exist when it doesn’t even reflect her current views.

I’m not going to even get into the fact that Viacom was extremely quick to pull all syndicated episodes today but yet you could still catch Cosby reruns on Hulu. If we’re going to pretend that horrible people no longer and never did exist, it would seem his crime was considerably worse than Roseanne Barr’s but what do I know.