Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Something's wrong with Ric Flair

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm really glad I skipped this week's episode. Genuinely curious how ticket sales are going. Selling out a 9,400 seat arena is a lot harder than selling out a 1,700 seat arena. Even if they double their attendance from when they sold out Fairgrounds, it still might look kind of empty.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I have this one downloaded. Is it a skipper? I don’t have the patience for “wrestling is real” all of a sudden.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From this description of this episode, it certainly sounded like it was at least somewhat kayfabe which is why I skipped it.

Jeff, I love ya but you're not MJF. Can it with the worked shoots!

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
But it’s also worth the scene of Tommy Young saying “I know why he’s doing it” and then being told “it’s not for money” and Tommy then immediately being completely flustered why Flair is doing this.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
But it’s also worth the scene of Tommy Young saying “I know why he’s doing it” and then being told “it’s not for money” and Tommy then immediately being completely flustered why Flair is doing this.
I like how on their own hype documentary Jay Lethal expresses concern for what he's about to take part in.
Off screen Flair was probably pounding Jack Daniels in between bumps.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

- Flair started training in March.
- He recently press slammed Lethal. He hasn't lost his old natural strength. This was Conrad's response to Disco asking about the obvious issues surrounding an old man with a bad ticker having a fake fight.
- Disco mentions the sex pest stuff, but swerves and then says he's glad this PPV has given Flair positive vibes because Disco doesn't want Flair's legacy to be the Pervert.
- Conrad says Flair makes 6 figures on advertising and cameo gigs.
- Thompson was in Oshkosh, WI for a recent gig and the bar tender knew of the PPV but not who Conrad was, which was proof of concept for Conrad to assume he's going to capture the lapsed fans.
- They compare Flair's magic dick games to Beniot and Michael Jackson's music still being good despite his pedo side. "No one is perfect". *Insert Conrad's mugshot for domestic abuse here*
- Flair apparently is besties with Joe Gomez. I want to details.

- More worked shoot stuff to build to the PPV.
- Flair buries Jackie Fargo. Them's fightin' words!
- Ric makes fun of Jarrett being part of 30 start up promotions and being named the World champ.
- Flair went to TNA to work with Hogan. Jarrett was not around as he was hiding from Kurt Angle.
- Andrade is a street fighter. If shit gets real, Jarrett might get shanked.
- Flair has stared down death twice, so giving it his all to get revenge doesn't make him wince.
- Ric is wearing his ass out by training every day. He got quite sick and thought he had Covid since his immune system was weakened.
- Flair has tape and a razor on his desk. He and Conrad both claim Flair didn't blade for the angle and it was getting hit with the shoe was how he got bloodied up.
- "They thought I was going to the hospital, but I went out drinking." *Video fades to black* LOL.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Peaked in part 2. Some good promo work by Papa Jeff. The heels being in the right still makes for some awkward booking for me.

Maybe the angle should have been Lethal training Ric. He then talks (like he did in part 1 or 2 about how he is apprehensive to help Ric train. Flair tells him to fuck off then and brings Andrade to train him. Lethal can then do mostly the same parking lot stuff ("I love and respect you and wanted to help you and you tell me to fuck off. You're an ego maniac, you don't get your the the center of the world. No wonder you have been divorced 4 times...") and the Jarrett stuff can mostly be the same.

--
I wonder if Ric will cancel the podcast again after the PPV hype is over?

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Peaked in part 2. Some good promo work by Papa Jeff. The heels being in the right still makes for some awkward booking for me.

Maybe the angle should have been Lethal training Ric. He then talks (like he did in part 1 or 2 about how he is apprehensive to help Ric train. Flair tells him to fuck off then and brings Andrade to train him. Lethal can then do mostly the same parking lot stuff ("I love and respect you and wanted to help you and you tell me to fuck off. You're an ego maniac, you don't get your the the center of the world. No wonder you have been divorced 4 times...") and the Jarrett stuff can mostly be the same.

--
I wonder if Ric will cancel the podcast again after the PPV hype is over?

I just watched Part 2 and my thought was, is Jay Lethal the face here?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My World With Jeff Jarrett has Paul Bromwell co-hosting today to sell the HEAT from this angle.

Kamala and Brody mgroan

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’m guessing logistics made it not possible, or there was just too much Starrcast meet and greet money to be made, but I wonder if attendance would be better for this before Summerslam versus after it.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I can't ironically enjoy this. It's just too sad.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’m guessing logistics made it not possible, or there was just too much Starrcast meet and greet money to be made, but I wonder if attendance would be better for this before Summerslam versus after it.
I feel like Vince leaving and SummerSlam suddenly becoming 10x more exciting isn't helping. I think they were hoping it'd be another ho-hum show like the last few SS and hype the hardcores up to stick around for the REAL excitement tomorrow night. Combination of disappointing Flair opponents and all of the uncertainty RE: WWE, I think people are going to be burnt out by Sunday.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I follow all of the AFS podcasts on my Twitter so I can see if Conrad, Paul, or Jon are hosting and know whether or not I want to add it to the queue since podcast description almost never mentions the host (presumably to keep people from skipping episode when they see it's someone other than Conrad hosting). I've gotten to the point where I always skip Paul's episodes no matter how much the subject interests me cause he's such a lukewarm, boring kiss ass. He makes Conrad look like Edward R. Murrow. Which stinks cause Paulie B hosts almost all of JR's episodes now and JR used to be my 2nd favorite.

I'm worried that if this show is really successful, we're going to see more angles involving the AFS hosts...which please God no. Jon Alba's a heel manager in my local indie and he's fine enough but idea of Connie or God forbid, Paul having to emote and cut promos sends chills up and down my spine.

Last edited:

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Isn't Summerslam still the same card McMahon had booked anyway?

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Yes but that doesn't mean any of the planned results are staying the same.

Assuming Vince had any results planned, that is

Shooting Star

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is there a list of how many retirement matches Flair had over the years? If I recall correctly, his feud with Hogan in 1994 included supposed retirement.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
AFAIK there's only been three.

Halloween Havoc '94 where he lost to Hogan in a career Vs career match
Nitro the night after Great American Bash '00 where him and Reid lost to Vince Russo & David Flair (dry heave) in a retirement match.
WrestleMania XXIV

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I follow all of the AFS podcasts on my Twitter so I can see if Conrad, Paul, or Jon are hosting and know whether or not I want to add it to the queue since podcast description almost never mentions the host (presumably to keep people from skipping episode when they see it's someone other than Conrad hosting). I've gotten to the point where I always skip Paul's episodes no matter how much the subject interests me cause he's such a lukewarm, boring kiss ass. He makes Conrad look like Edward R. Murrow. Which stinks cause Paulie B hosts almost all of JR's episodes now and JR used to be my 2nd favorite.

I'm worried that if this show is really successful, we're going to see more angles involving the AFS hosts...which please God no. Jon Alba's a heel manager in my local indie and he's fine enough but idea of Connie or God forbid, Paul having to emote and cut promos sends chills up and down my spine.

I could see a promoted card each year at Starrcast, but I think it’s probably a diminishing returns each year.

Conrad is smart and knows how to make money, but I can’t imagine a “mixed promotion” PPV would do big numbers each year. Especially if they have as much on screen talent performing each year. I think there’s 38 right now, not counting the battle royal.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Oh man he's gonna spin this into a Morton Downey Jr gimmick and I'm all for it

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Reaction score
I think I remember that. He got big heat from Vince. Ultimate in Flair promos though.