Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Attitude Era Thread Vol 1

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Happy 50th Birthday to the biggest star to ever emerge from the wrestling industry, The Rock!

Kind of insane to think he was done being a full time wrestler by the time he was 30. It's weird to say but I think his legacy is somewhat UNDERRATED.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
It's hard to separate his legacy in wrestling from the overall picture. I think Rock is probably rated fairly but it's hard to get a handle on someone with a relatively short career.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What a weird match:

• October 21, 1999 – Smackdown!: Edge, Christian and Test defeated The British Bulldog, Pete Gas, Rodney and Joey Abs in a handicap match.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Sums up Bulldog's return completely.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bulldog's '99-'00 run was so weird/sad. You thought it couldn't get worse than his 2nd WCW run and it kind of was or at very least was in the same realm of badness.

Highlight of the run happened on a UK PPV that 90% of the audience didn't watch.

Valeyard

Reaction score
If he didn't wrestle in jeans and still had his music, it would at least be acknowledged. For some reason those two things are the hardest for me as a fan.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Him wrestling in jeans and having generic rock music was absolute worst part of it. As crappy as his '98 WCW run was at least, he looked like classic Bulldog (or at least good late era Bulldog). Everything about the '99-'00 run to me, outside of him throwing the trash can at Steph's head, is just depressing. I mean what did we really expect from a run that started as a half assed attempt by WWF to win the Hart Family back over after Owen's death?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel he would have been more over by skipping the jeans and going with his classic look. It's amazing how many people mention the jeans with Bulldog in that era. Was there ever a reason given for him wearing them?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Worst guy at the worst time, for sure. They even tricked me by making him seem like a legit push was gonna happen in the very beginning. Like him winning the Hardcore Title is nothing but they were pushing him coming back to the world champion, and he'd have been the first guy to have won all the active singles titles of the time if he had. In an era of quick n dirty title runs, it wasn't even out of the question necessarily. But nah, was not to be.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Davey's own demons worsened so can't really blame WWE for not doing more with him during this run. I think changing up his look and music was just a lame attempt to fit in better during the Attitude Era.

When Bulldog returned in '99, I remember they would air clips of a shoot interview he did (alongside Diana) with JR upon re-signing. I don't think they ever aired the entire thing. I specifically remember him talking about that injury he suffered in WCW where he bumped on Warrior's trap door (that he used for his entrance) and getting hooked on morphine afterwards.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm not saying Bulldog in '99-'00 could've been used better, I'm saying he shouldn't have been used at all. He was p. much useless at that stage of his career.

Weirdly, I think WCW was interested in bringing him back at the same time, according to Bret's book as a make good for the trap door incident. So I guess it could've been worse. We could've had sullen, jeans wearing Bulldog in Vince Russo era WCW.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel he would have been more over by skipping the jeans and going with his classic look. It's amazing how many people mention the jeans with Bulldog in that era. Was there ever a reason given for him wearing them?
Worth mentioning, he did wear some of his traditional long tights in his first match (I think) back at Unforgiven 99... and I thought that looked weird for the Attitude era. Jeans obviously weren't the answer, either, but just saying.

Valeyard

Reaction score
If he'd stuck with it, it might've been fine. No worse, certainly. It isn't like everyone adjusted to Angle's flag gear overnight. We didn't like colors in 1999.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Angle's flag gear was meant to annoy, though, and it gave us those awesome camo and "mechanical" singlets.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Blackman was big over, too. At least when Shane wanted to get his buddies over, he risked life and limb for it.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did Foley turn down facing Regal at .WM 17 or WM 18? Seventeen makes more sense to blowoff the commissioner angle. But for some reason I remember it could have been 18 but Mick was on the outs with Vince then.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm assuming it would have been pitched for X-7. Foley was written off TV the night after Survivor Series '01.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWF B, C, D shows thread crosspost.

Has there ever been a more obvious winner?

I love when there are battle royals on C shows. There was one on Main Event or Pro right before the first World War 3 Battle Royal that Disco Inferno getting a cheap win and they actually did a callback at the PPV with all of the jobbers kicking his ass.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, I loved Battle Royals on the B and C shows. I remember Bulldog won one on Superstars a few weeks after Rumble '95. He went right after HBK in the beginning who eliminated himself and ran away.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Like, just for real using modern sensibilities. Forget for a second we know anything really about wrestling. This is a hot blonde gal who is married to a clown that has the word "nipples" clearly visible in her very active social media. That's Mrs. Foley's Baby Thot before we realize she has two Ls in her name.

Valeyard

Reaction score
RIP Mick's social media btw because his life got exponentially harder.