Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Attitude Era Thread Vol 1

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh there's a great story about Paul Heyman and Gewirtz getting into a shouting match on the WWE corporate jet and Heyman challenged Gewirtz to a fistfight right there on the plane. Shane McMahon rushed over to get in between them and ushered Gewirtz to another part of the plane---to try and teach him how to throw a push (Best striker in the business).

Another random anecdote about how the weird McMahons are that appealed to me (and Brian Gewirtz apparently). They are meticulous about eating pancakes. Apparently all of them slice them carefully into bite sized pieces then delicately dip them in the syrup instead of just slathering them on the stack of pancakes.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Every time JR put him over, I just remember how HHH only got his first big singles title shot because he broke JR's arm.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
IRT Brian Gewirtz's new memoir about his time in WWE.
Read some more of the book on train ride home from Boston last night.

I will say the book is absolutely worth getting for the Katie Vick chapter alone. Weird thing is ATT WWE creative thought the angle could potentially stop the downslide and retrigger WWE's boom period or be the worst thing WWE had ever produced. It's a really good breakdown of how far WWE is willing to commit to an awful idea. Apparently, Vince's concept was even worse and he wanted the corpse humping segment to be played absolutely serious and intense. He wanted the segment to end with Triple H as Kane reaching into the casket and pulling out some "brains" and throwing it at the camera and yelling "I JUST FUCKED YOUR BRAINS OUT!"

In terms of bodily function humor that @BruiserBrody might like...before WWE had a corporate jet, they had a little 10 seat or so puddle jumper where the only toilet was a tiny one at the back of the plane. You had to tip over the back seat to use it then sit down and pee in front of everyone on the plane. Needless to say Vince never wanted anyone to use it but one day Michael Cole really really needs to go and he can't hold it back any longer and he has to push the person out of the back seat (who happens to be Linda McMahon) to take a piss. Apparently, this caused Vince to dive away like it was an explosion in action movie.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
...isn't that how the segment ended?
I guess it did? I tried to block it out of my brain.

I kind of look at Gewirtz the same way that I look at the writers for The Simpsons who are still there that were there during the show's glory years. Chaff definitely outweighs the wheat but the wheat is good enough that that is probably what you're going to remember.

I had no idea he was a full time writer until 2012! And he was a part time creative consultant until 2015! I had assumed he left sometime in the '00s.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score

I watched it then but it feels so anachronistic seeing them together on camera.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I remember him knocking the memory out of Steph and thought it looked cool, but Bulldog just made me so sad by then that I didn't want to see him. Jeans and shitty theme at least makes it easy to see him as someone else, I guess.

Him being on camera in the Attitude Era with McMahons is just so weird to watch. At least the Posse was a stable, I guess.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Also adults don't ask people to sign their cast! Another piece of evidence to show that Attitude Era was still kind of targeted to kids.
It was a PG-13 product when PG-13 meant "you can get away with brief nudity and an f-bomb or two" instead of "huge CGI battles with wonton destruction."

Valeyard

Reaction score
It's so incredible how Cactus became a mythological being. Perfect booking.

Also shout out to the spoon than lands right between HHH's shoulderblades after that trash can shot.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I thought Rude was attempting an in-ring comeback at the time of his death. Maybe '97 was too soon but maybe in '99?