Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Attitude Era Thread Vol 1

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At his time of death, wasn't he angling for a WWF comeback? I know the last six months or so of his WCW run, they were just using him for those weird DirecTV only interstitals.

I know things were bad enough between him and WCW at the end that one of Rude's siblings asked Eric Bischoff to leave when he showed up to Rude's memorial service.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, Hennig cut some promo on TV right after Rude died where he shat on those "guys in Atlanta who Rick made a lot of money for that didn't go to his funeral"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That was that same DirecTV only show that Rude co-hosted before his death! Even WCW wasn't that incompetent at that point to have their talent openly shitting on the product on one of their canonical shows.

That wouldn't happen until Russo took over creative.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Rude was probably not as fucked up as people thought in 1997. Still bad but not the crippled mess. Wanted to make that first bump mean something, otherwise he would've done it in ECW

mr. piggy

Active Poster
Reaction score
At his time of death, wasn't he angling for a WWF comeback? I know the last six months or so of his WCW run, they were just using him for those weird DirecTV only interstitals.

I know things were bad enough between him and WCW at the end that one of Rude's siblings asked Eric Bischoff to leave when he showed up to Rude's memorial ser.

I know things were bad enough between him and WCW at the end that one of Rude's siblings asked Eric Bischoff to leave when he showed up to Rude's memorial service.

Bischoff said that the heat was because he would not pay for something like 400k to pay out Loyds of London so Rude could wrestle.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Rude/Foley would've been a perfect combination. Total opposites and since they were tight Foley would've killed himself to keep Rude from bumping too much.

Rude being around then is just so strange to think about.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Some top-tier Vince in his handling, too.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I didn't see Badd Blood but my friend was recapping it for me in the schoolyard the next morning:

Me: "Who won between Dude Love and Brian Pillman?"
Friend: "Oh, the match didn't happen. Brian died"
Me: "WHAT?"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vince interviewing Melanie the night after IYH: Badd Blood really is an inexplicably horrible and low point in WWF history. What the hell was VKM hoping to accomplish there?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Ratings. At least she was every bit as shitty.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This isn't the Bad Retired Wrestler Takes thread.

I'll always love and respect Jake The Snake but GOOD GOD, any time I listen or read a modern interview from him, it's just an invitation for me to be annoyed.

The 25th Anniversary of the Montreal Screwjob is in a few weeks so I'm sad to say that's probably not the last crappy take we're gonna see about

Valeyard

Reaction score
I don't give a fuck about Monteal and don't think I have since 2000ish. Its continued captivation is totally beyond me aside from being seen as basically the end of Bret's passion. It just isn't as interesting as people continue to think it is at this point.

Jake is awesome but I don't want to hear him talk about anything after his last WWF run, and even then I love that he'll try to work me anyway.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Controversial opinion: that sell was better than the flip one he'd adopt in a couple years.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saw that earlier. Never realized or just forgot DX and NAO officially formed on the same show

Valeyard

Reaction score
Well, yeah. I thought this was obvious as early as 2002. Dude can't stand upright, can't bend down to put on his socks, and blinks really erratically. It's amazing he isn't just a chowder-brain statistic.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
TIL...Chris Kreski is dead and has been dead for quite some time (died of cancer in 2005).

I guess that's why I haven't heard his name come up when people talk about who should run creative for WWE/AEW/Impact in a long while. Although I'm sure even in his current state, he'd probably do better than some people who've had the book.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That wasn't as bad as it was made out to be. I think watching it live I figured it was HHH being a dick heel anyway, so if anything it's funnier now.

I'll never forget the buildup to (I think) the Rumble where Shawn was on Livewire and pretty much straight up uncomfortably hits on Sunny during what started as a pretty babyface promo and her being very unsure how to act.