Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Remember when like 10 years ago, Damien was cutting random promos on YouTube for some weird reason?
We are old and time marches on. That was the end of 2007 into 2008! (At least according to reddit)

Apparently he did a weeks long bit about being broke and thus not being able to afford an urn for his daughter's ashes so he put them in a coffee can. A few days later he is drinking coffee during a video and realizes he made it with her ashes.

I only remember the "DON'T CALL ME A JOBBER!!" rants.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
That and tha avant-garde Von Erich videos are what I remember most of wrestling YouTube. Fuck that bork laser cheese souffle bullshit.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Oh shit I remember that. Goldberg.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder what the long term plan for ‘94 Earthquake was. I assume a match with Yokozuna at King of the Ring or SummerSlam ‘94 but then what? Seems like he had a pretty high ceiling in Spring of ‘94 based on him squashing Adam Bomb and WMX and beating Yokozuna in his own gimmick match.

RD totally bypassed that 94 run when he interviewed Quake. :( Actually it is kind of annoying the lack of prep it looked like RD did for this 23 years ago. He appears to not know Tenta worked for Baba and Vancouver before the WWF and FFWDs to Hogan and Jake ASAP.

Quake does say he's impatient, but his last WWF dates are against Yoko, who just came off a year long run on top. So he was in the mix, sort of.

Quake was in the KOTR tourney and was set to put over Owen on RAW in the Qualifier IIRC. Didn't Doink replace him as a last second sub?

Valeyard

Reaction score
He was really over too. A perfect guy to anchor the midcard at the time at worst, be a perfect guy to feed to Diesel at best.

Or they turn him for no reason and we get a year of bad Taker matches.

SuperMachine#1

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
He was really over too. A perfect guy to anchor the midcard at the time at worst, be a perfect guy to feed to Diesel at best.

Or they turn him for no reason and we get a year of bad Taker matches.
I think Quake vs Taker would've been a super hoss fight with both guys being agile and it could of worked out good if both guys had their working shoes on. I also remember Quake calling Taker out in the promo part of the Royal Rumble 1991. I wish they'd battle it out for a few minutes then.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That's the thing, though: the matches COULD'VE been awesome, but Taker's gimmick wouldn't let them. 1995, the matches would have Quake working down to that style, which was great for Taker because he was incredible at the gimmick (his character work alone has him super high as an all timer to me) but you can watch literally every feud from mid-1992 to mid-1996 and you can see that he just wasn't conducive to high-quality ringwork. Like I love some stuff in there but by and large he both had the wrong opponents and the gimmick anchor.

Quake is a GOAT big man but there's no way he overcomes "hit the finish over and over situp omg face spooky lighting overbooked blowoff" trap.

Valeyard

Reaction score

It would've been this Andre. I don't think he would able to walk down to a ring without help if it wasn't the Manhattan Center.

Now if you assume he's able to move well enough, he'd have been a dope surprise for the bodyslam challenge.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Foley as Doink in my head plays more like Krusty than The Joker. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, just much different than what we got.

Face Doink was Binky The Clown. Does that make Men on the Mission The Buddy Bears?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Foley as Doink in my head plays more like Krusty than The Joker. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, just much different than what we got.

Face Doink was Binky The Clown. Does that make Men on the Mission The Buddy Bears?
If you make a list of the US Acres cast and their New Generation counterparts, I will ensure you win 2023 poster of the year. To be presented at CXFcon '23. Both events which are undoubtedly occurring this calendar year.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Would've also been fun to see Andre as Savage's backup during his title run once Elizabeth split. He was working Flair and Shawn, could you imagine the bumps?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Psycho Doink would've been perfect for Foley. Just Cactus in greasepaint, the guy who scared kids when he sang happy birthday and got features ripped off his skull with laughter. A guy who would be a legit danger to people. Borne was perfection, I should say, but Foley would've had longevity.

Even face Doink with midgets and balloons and shit might've gotten a better reaction with someone as naturally dopey as Foley doing it. Vince would've loved his clown work.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Tito being the champ is a personal favorite line of bullshit. There's enough plausibility to make me wonder if he actually got promised shit, though. I mean if you gave him a new title for international stars, I wouldn't bat an eye, but that's it.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I will say this though in defense of Tito as World Champion in ‘92. If they knew that title run was just going to last 5 or 6 months, why not have Tito Santana be the Kofi Kingston of the ‘90s? I think Tito might have been able to get a better PPV match out of January ‘93 Razor than Bret (weirdly though, I *DON’T* think he would have gotten a better match out of June
‘93 Razor than Bret) and Tito pleading for Hulk Hogan to be his champion in combat would have made a lot more sense than Bret.

Dare I say Tito beating a bunch of random midcarders in TV and Coliseum Video exclusive title defenses would have been more exciting than Bret doing it. You could have Vince sell that Tito pulled off a miracle upset of Flair and is finding confidence he had when he debuted and beating guys who would have defeated him just a few months before.

I have taken a lot of cold medicine so that might be effecting my line of thinking but maybe it could have worked damn it!!!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Tito was a joke from 1991 on, arguably earlier. You can do that kind of push for the IC title but he was so far outside the realm of reality competing with top guys that it would fail insanely. I think if the internet was a force like it was during Kofi's era, there's not a problem, but it just doesn't work.

Now a world where Tito got Backlund's big title run, establishing himself as a top latino draw and becoming at the minimum an underrated champion? That's what I want.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now a world where Tito got Backlund's big title run, establishing himself as a top latino draw and becoming at the minimum an underrated champion? That's what I want.
Tito was probably already teaching high school by '94 too so you could just make him a washed up former star ,reduced to teaching kids,who is bitter and enraged at the New Generation.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We missed out on a lot of potentially great stuff cause most guys over the age of 40 were considered washed unless they were top guys.

We should have gotten Tito Santana as the strait laced senior member of the lWo, at least. Although I guess that one could STILL happen…