Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
They should've tried to get Shatner and Takei involved in the Bret/Hakushi feud.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I remember one right after Marty turned heel with the New Rockers where he just was mean to a kid who wanted to know if he liked Def Leppard

Valeyard

Reaction score
To be fair the most recent picture there is Waltman and even that one is outdated.

Did that match happen on tape because there is no way it isn't a masterclass

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWF @ Red Deer, Alberta – Centrium – February 25, 1994 (2,500)
Adam Bomb vs. Jim Powers
Bob Backlund vs. Jeff Jarrett
WWF Tag Team Champions the Quebecers vs. the Smoking Gunns
WWF IC Champion Razor Ramon vs. IRS
Randy Savage vs. Crush
Lex Luger vs. Kwang (sub. for Ludvig Borga)

Red Deer would rather see a hot Lex Luger Vs Kwang match than their home province heroes

I’m weirdly curious to see what a face Backlund Vs Double J match looked like.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even though it was the biggest push of their WWF run, I kind of hated the babyface Headshrinkers. Even as a kid, I wasn't into it. Why are these badass savages now a bunch of goofs who suddenly need wrestling lessons from Captain Lou? Why is The Barbarian now "Sionne"?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even though it was the biggest push of their WWF run, I kind of hated the babyface Headshrinkers. Even as a kid, I wasn't into it. Why are these badass savages now a bunch of goofs who suddenly need wrestling lessons from Captain Lou? Why is The Barbarian now "Sionne"?
One of the oddly memorable markout moments I have of watching day old RAW on VHS with my neighbor. "OMG the Barbarian just ran in!" *High fives*

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kwang’s debut was just as half assed as the rest of his run.

If he was such a Japanese sensation, how come Mr. Fuji didn’t even want to manage and Yokozuna didn’t want to team up with him?

Valeyard

Reaction score
That was more impressive to me as a kid, I think, because no one with a mask was around really. Then doughy Savio doing karate hands shows up and it was just awful.

That said I always thought Kwang had especially good mist. It would hit like a shotgun blast sometimes.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don’t remember him ever beating any non jobbers. Looking at his Cagematch, closest thing he got to a push is wrestling a pair of matches with Tatanka on Superstars in the Post WrestleMania X, that ended in a no contest and double count out after IRS shenanigans.

HEY! Looking at History of WWE’s 1994 Superstars page, I found a storyline explanation as to why Yokozuna wasn’t on SummerSlam ‘94. Jim Cornette went on Heartbreak Hotel a few weeks before the PPV to say that Yokozuna wasn’t going to be on the show because there was no suitable competition and not because the Undertaker was there. With the implication that Yokozuna and Cornette were afraid of Undertaker. Me and @BruiserBrody were talking about Yokozuna’s weird post WrestleMania X booking recently IIRC.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I remember Kwang showing up on Superstars and being so insanely underwhelmed. I wanted a ninja, not a Puerto Rican weeb who wasn't built for the moveset they gave him. I love Savio and think he's one of the most underrated guys of the era but Kwang was awful and he was miscast more than a lot of gimmicks. I wonder if Taz would've worked better or worse, honestly, because at least then we'd get some sweet suplexes and pseudo judo.

That Yokozuna thing is the smartest booking move of the entire Taker/Yokozuna feud since it started. I like the idea that both Yokozuna and Cornette could feasibly believe that not only there might be two Undertakers that are mad Yoko killed them, but that there's an underrcurrent of distrust of Dibiase because there absolutely should be.

Heartbreak Hotel was a really good interview segment. Never gets its due. One of the better versions of the formula.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm sure I saw Reo's Roundup when it aired originally but I don't remember. I remember a lot of that era clearly but a lot I have no memory of, but this feels like some of the shit my brother would turn off because it would annoy him and turn back like ten minutes later when a match is in progress and piss me off because I didn't see how a Heavenly Bodies/Tony Devito and Skull Von Crush match started.

SuperMachine#1

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
Kwang’s debut was just as half assed as the rest of his run.

If he was such a Japanese sensation, how come Mr. Fuji didn’t even want to manage and Yokozuna didn’t want to team up with him?
Actually Kwang was going to be Tazz under the mask but he turned down the offer to stay in a bingo hall and not get paid,and bounced checks were the topic at the ECW Water Cooler talk.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Thinking back now I remember: I wanted Kwang to be what Hakushi was, essentially, and was excited for Hakushi because he was the guy I had expected from the beginning.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don’t remember him ever beating any non jobbers. Looking at his Cagematch, closest thing he got to a push is wrestling a pair of matches with Tatanka on Superstars in the Post WrestleMania X, that ended in a no contest and double count out after IRS shenanigans.
You made me look this up since I remember Tatanka/Luger vs Yoko/Kwang results in the Apters.

The 'main event" push went one loop. Within six months he was losing to Aldo and Dumpster