Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I hope he's writing her letters in prison. That's his breakout as a content creator.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
TIL Tatanka was discovered by Buddy Rogers.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
TIL Tatanka was discovered by Buddy Rogers.
Did they cover his suspension for drugging and sex assaulting a girl with Jimmy Del Ray?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Face Repo Man sounds awful. He's still a kleptomaniac piece of shit but slaps hands? Fuck outta here. Make him Smash again.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Demento was right there to fill in for the Ax role if you were gonna revive Demolition.

You telling me we didn’t need a revived Demos against the Steiners and the Gunns in 93? Fuck outta here.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
This cover screams “WWF has gotten really bad now”’ to me.
3 headlines related to the M$C, Ugh. Sort of 4 depending on what Taker's article covered.

Shame the Tunney taking bribes angle never went anywhere. I'm sure it could play into either the LT or Taker stories.
"Bam Bam was facing a lifetime ban for attacking LT, Jack Tunney chose to waive the severe penalty for unclear reasons"

--
Surprised while Ax was suing Vince over the Demolition rights that Vince didn't bring the team back. I can see Darsow not wanting to recreate the team out of respect for Eadie. Plus he was balding and off the juice.

When Crash the Terminator was getting some Apter love, I recall fantasy booking him as part of a new Demo team in 95ish (Hugh Morris)

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like most of the Demolition rumors in the mid-late ‘90s involved Crush and (insert new partner), which honestly would have pissed off fans wanting a new reunion even more.

It’d be like if Gary Cherone tried to reunite Van Halen with some randos. DEMOLITION CRUSH IS CRAP!!! And I am somewhat of a Crush apologist.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
New Rockers were dope and in a better world, them and Owen/Davey should been having an endless string of humpers but it was mid 90s WWF tag team era so that wasn’t happening.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The New Rockers would have worked if it were sillier. Al Snow had the right idea. Marty Jannetty’s career would have been a lot more successful if he developed a sense of self awareness and humility 20 years earlier.

It also couldn’t have debuted at a worse time. HBK is being launched as the next great WWF superstar and Marty is farting around with some goof against The Bushwhackers. It’s one of those gimmicks where I wonder if they were trying to fail.

Or at least making an unsuccessful attempt to get Marty to develop a sense of self awareness and humility.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Using the Rockers name did them and every other recycle tag gimmick in.

The creative bankruptcy Vince had for tag team wrestling was insane and on brand.

It is actually stunning he didn’t just name the Owen/Davey team “New Bulldogs” or “Higher Energy”

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
The New Rockers debut was so bizarre. Jannetty and a mystery partner were announced for the tag title tourney in '96 and then here comes the former Avatar as his partner trying to be Davey Jones.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Using the Rockers name did them and every other recycle tag gimmick in.

The creative bankruptcy Vince had for tag team wrestling was insane and on brand.

It is actually stunning he didn’t just name the Owen/Davey team “New Bulldogs” or “Higher Energy”
Higher Energy would've been Crush and Adam Bomb.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There have been so many god damn low points after ‘92 or so, that it’s really hard to narrow one down.

‘96 is pretty bad though cause that was the first year that the Tag Team Titles didn’t make the main show of WrestleMania.

I’d say late ‘00s/early ‘10s might be rock bottom though. It seemed like tag team titles never made PPV unless it was a second or third tier PPV and/or a super team was involved. I remember there was a four way pre show match at WrestleMania XXVIII where everyone involved was so irrelevant that I wondered if tag team wrestling in WWE was about to die completely.

Valeyard

Reaction score
If there's "New" in the name, it's death. Demolition with Crush would've been over huge for a while because of the name and aesthetic. If you call them New Demotion or something, yeah, it's going to fail. But people were really into the idea of Demolition coming back for years, if the originals weren't an option Crush and a shitkicker partner were the right call. Hell, even if you didn't have a shitkicker partner, a frightening smaller guy would do.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Tag division from the end of 1994 to probably early 1997 is dire, and I'm only saying early 1997 is better because LOD was a shot in the arm on a status level despite not being one in any other area.

1998 wasn't a great tag division, either. One real team and a lot of superteams.

The Raw tag division sucked from inception on. Smackdown wasn't much better after the smackdown six and WGTT runs.