Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. The New Age Outlaws carried a really awful, thread barren division in ‘98.

I am not a huge fan of the concept of super teams and WWE definitely overused but they really helped carry the division along NAO in ‘98-‘99 until the Hardys and Edge & Christian were ready for primetime (and the Dudleys were ready to jump over from ECW)

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I've turned around a lot of superteams. Like, they are never presented this way in a modern sense but in a kayfabe sense I like the notion that the tag titles are seen as being so valuable that singles stars want to team up to have them. The Two Man Power Trip only wanted the gold because of the prestige and to feed the egos and if they can pause being singles stars enough to take over the tag division, that makes those belts seem important and it makes the teams look better because they're seen as doing something the superteam can't on a regular basis.

1999 was an excellent year, though. Really underrated and overshadowed. Kane and X-Pac became a legit team that led to the best work of Kane's career on every level. Acolytes became the awesome badass team who had good brawls with everyone. You had Rock N Sock and Taker and Show as the superteams who actually had a purpose for teaming and feuding (the belts and mutual dislike/respect) and also were down to put over other teams. Edge and Christian and Hardys began the takeover. Shitty undercard teams were plentiful and could fill gaps. It just worked out really well.

I love the TLC era but I've got no problem being super critical and annoyed that it was the same three teams nonstop, regardless of match quality or moments. Given the talent and teams ready, there could've been even more if you rotated.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They teased one periodically from at least 1995 into Gang Warz.

JN News

Pizzamaniac
Reaction score
What if the Hart Foundation (Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Davey Boy Smith, & Jim Neidhart) reunited BEFORE 1997? I think they could've put on some great matches on WWF TV.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
What if the Hart Foundation (Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Davey Boy Smith, & Jim Neidhart) reunited BEFORE 1997? I think they could've put on some great matches on WWF TV.
95/96 seems interesting with the Hart squad being the Horsemen to the Kliq's faces. SSeries 95 with Diesel/Shawn/Razor/Kid vs the Harts

What do you do with Corny if Bulldog and Owen aren't in Camp Cornette? Yoko w/ heel Fatu and Sionne? Eventually Hakushi, Shinobi?

Dump Yoko and go full Redneck posse with a harder edge Smothers, Harris Boys, Windham, Jarrett, or some such?

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
95/96 seems interesting with the Hart squad being the Horsemen to the Kliq's faces. SSeries 95 with Diesel/Shawn/Razor/Kid vs the Harts

What do you do with Corny if Bulldog and Owen aren't in Camp Cornette? Yoko w/ heel Fatu and Sionne? Eventually Hakushi, Shinobi?

Dump Yoko and go full Redneck posse with a harder edge Smothers, Harris Boys, Windham, Jarrett, or some such?
if this hypothetical starts in 96, then he still just rides with Vader and another makeshift tag team, perhaps a properly packaged Bodydonnas or just the Southern Justice version of the Godwins. He was finished up by end of year and had become an stooge by that point so no need to flex too much for him.

If we’re getting into 95 era, Yoko still needs an asshole partner cuz Yoko wasn’t doing a prolonged singles run anymore, so basically any mid level heel could filled that role, perhaps Candido or Jarrett, fuck it, Country Yoko works too, pal.

He also could just been transitioned fully to commentator just as easily.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Hey Canadian Cornette would be great and I think he would click super well with Anvil for comedy purposes. But really if you're not able to have Pillman, Cornette as a hateable Hart orbiter is a good way to go.

But if the Harts are otherwise not with Cornette, in 1995 you can just have him join the Million Dollar Corporation so there's a manager that at least can bump and get heat like when he and Fuji were together. Best result is Jarrett, though, because Jarrett (and the Roadie) with Cornette as their "tour manager" is money. Cornette and Mabel might work, and Cornette can try to outwork both of them.

Cornette in this 1996 should get the Smoking Gunns. That seems like a no brainer, and if you do a double turn with Sunny the Gunns can get the hot chick and the Bodydonnas can lean more into a Heavenly Express gimmick with Cornette.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Man, you can tell they didn’t have a lot of hope about the women’s division revival by debuting it on a C Show the day after Christmas.

How many titles have WWF debuted through a mostly if not entirely non existent tournament? This, the IC Title, I feel like I may be forgetting one more. WCW Cruiserweight title too but that is another company!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The first WWWF tag title tournament has to be phony. The claim is Tarzan Tyler and Luke Graham beat Dick the Bruiser and The Sheik of all teams....in New Orleans. Graham worked the normal WWWF loop with no sign that he shot down to New Orleans for a random tourney.

---
Really the question is always why not just run a tourney, even if not just a one night four team quickie?

----
It appears the women tourney was real, but unaired....double weird.

The Tournament

November 29, 1993 Memphis, Tennessee Mid-South Coliseum

USWA - Tournament Match for the WWF Women's Championship
Madusa defeated Alison Royal

November 30, 1993 Springfield, Massachusetts
Dark Matches - First Round
Heidi Lee Morgan defeated Black Venus
Rusty Thomas defeated Angie Marino

December 1, 1993 Utica, New York
Dark Match - Semi Final
Heidi Lee Morgan defeated Rusty Thomas

December 13, 1993 Poughkeepsie, New York
All American Wrestling taping aired December 26, 1993
Finals
Alundra Blayze defeated Heidi Lee Morgan with a German Suplex to win the championship

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fun fact: That blogger is also from Maine and my team narrowly beat his when Limitless Wrestling hosted a wrestling trivia event before one of their shows at a nearby bar. He is still kind of pissed about it.

Misty Blue Simmes claims she was supposed to be a part of the 1993 WWF Women's Division relaunch and put Alundra Blayze over int he finals but she backed out because Vince McMahon was a creep to her or something.

Yes, @BruiserBrody , even if someone is a former adult film star that doesn't mean they like it when people act creepy towards them.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hi Brod
Fun note from this: Paul Bearer was ringside in Denver and some smarks were chanting "Percy! Percy!" at him. Bearer turned to them and in full Bearer voice yells "Percy's in the urn!"
--
The Doink/Crush "controversy is some getting butt hurt that this aired a few weeks after the Jets Dennis Byrd's injury.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really do need to get an ICOPRO shirt. Like unironically.
I took Hogan's steroid use reveal personally and was VERY snarky at the ICOPRO ads. My neighbor and I were just like "they are just steroids!"

It was only time between 1985 and today where Hulkamania didn't run wild in my heart.

* Woke Kamala: "WHATTA BOUT the RACISM!?!"
Damn it Kamala, you know what I mean.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I took Bret using ICOPRO as smaller a guy to mean that they deliberately were not steroids. Bret was the integrity guy and didn't lie. Hogan was a traitor.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That isn't what the commercials said, though.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Encourage others to buy wrestling merch thread crossover.

You can just sense Vince McMahon thinking to himself “Dammit, pal. Why did I hire a stand up comedian?” when Rob Bartlett compares Koko B. Ware to Gary Coleman 1-2 minutes into the first episode of RAW.

It was also one of the few mildly funny things Bartlett said on that show. Sorry Koko. RIP Gary Coleman.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Didn't realize (or forgot) that Ray Rougeau lasted all the way till 96 as a backstage interviewer. Don't really remember anything of note he did past 94