Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in Fall 2022- Spreading lies and bullshit to the media.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Punk's an asshole but I don't think I buy him trying to give advice to guys like Hangman being a real thing. If that did happen in some way I would bet on a miscommunication coming from Punk spending his run working with younger guys who he has been able to help and just forgetting who he was working with when he moved on to Hangman. That gets taken the wrong way, shit builds, if that's how it went down. Going by the various reports that were happening about how it seemed like Punk had mellowed or relaxed I can see it.

Gotta say I'm getting a very poor opinion of Elite supporters, regardless of what's real. The teenage atheist vegans of wrestling.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It seems like things got very bad, very quickly RE: CM Punk's relationship with AEW. My speculation is once he got hurt, he panicked and retreated into old Punk mode.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think this is pretty good. I've never been a fan of Jake, never cared about him, but he's been used perfectly in AEW. He's Jericho's heavy, has a match every now and then, but when he does have a match comes off as a threat, even if we know he won't win. He doesn't cut promos a lot, and when he does they're usually small.
This response is the longest anyone has spoke about Hager in nearly a decade.

Good for him to keep getting a paycheck I guess

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Right now what would say the odds are that Punk ever shows up in AEW again? 50%?

Valeyard

Reaction score
80%. There's money to be made when this is all said and done.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Right now what would say the odds are that Punk ever shows up in AEW again? 50%?
I'd put it somewhere in the 50 to 75% range. I think Punk is a prideful enough guy to know that this really isn't how he wants the last chapter of his career to end and it's not like he's ever going to work anywhere else (unless he's got an inexplicable respect for Triple H that I don't know about and would highly doubt). Craziness of the past month or two aside, this year has really shown how much he truly loves this damn crazy business.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I kind of agree, I kind of don't. Putting the ROH World Champ in there would kind of signify that title is not as important as AEW's title. Which I mean it's true but you don't want to admit it before ROH's even really relaunched as its own brand.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also I don't think it's emphasized enough that friggin COLT CABANA is the fact that launched a thousand ships IRT to this kerfuffle.

And I don't even think Colt Cabana was that mistreated in this ordeal. Afaik, wasn't he paid this entire time? And it's not exactly he was getting a hot push before CM Punk came in!
The funny thing is no one is even talking about this. Colt was only in AEW as a thank you for being a indie vet, and barely wrestled anymore. This was all blown out of proportion because the Elite and CM Punk don’t get along.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also watching last night, I kind of wish they ran with MJF pretending to be a babyface more. The crowd was eating out of his hand until Mox showed up.

It would have made for a better story of MJF pretending to be a babyface for weeks but then going back to his ways when he cashes in on the winner of the tournament (say Danielson after him and Mox try to kill each other).

The tournament final is at Arthur Ashe in two weeks so they may pull the trigger on MJF in NYC (where he would also be a super babyface).

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Does anyone else ignore the reporting of what happened backstage entirely. I don’t really care what Meltzer, SRS, anyone else is reporting and for the most part it doesn’t matter anyway.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Does anyone else ignore the reporting of what happened backstage entirely. I don’t really care what Meltzer, SRS, anyone else is reporting and for the most part it doesn’t matter anyway.
It's infinitely more interesting than anything that's been on AEW TV since Mox gave Kenny the Dirty Deeds through a glass coffee table, so...no.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I kind of agree, I kind of don't. Putting the ROH World Champ in there would kind of signify that title is not as important as AEW's title. Which I mean it's true but you don't want to admit it before ROH's even really relaunched as its own brand.
Claudio already having the ROH title should mean enough to automatically count him and people fucking love Claudio. He could have a great match with literally everyone else, and as much as I love Darby and Sammy being dropped in and getting the shine of just hanging with that bracket I think Claudio could've used a slot. Besides him uppercutting Sammy to the fucking stars would've been nice.

You know what, though? They should've finagled Tanahashi too. He never got his title match at Forbidden Door and a loss would not hurt him. Honky-ass smart marks could learn to deal.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
tanahashi isn't coming in at the alst minute to job and he's on a tour. I agree Claudio should be in over Sammy and Darby though.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
But then 75% of the tournament semis are BCC members. And you kind of have to protect all of them from losses.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Meltzer made some comments that Punk was going around telling people to stop doing shit that got them over in the first place. I don’t know what specifically but he said that when someone wouldn’t do what Punk said, Punk would get extremely angry. Meltzer also said someone with that kind of attitude isn’t good for the company at all.
I also saw something about Meltzer going on about how Page has outdrawn Punk as a headliner on PPV which, with the exception of December to Dismember I don't think is true. And using WWE's literal worst PPV of it's C brand when Punk has dozens of PPVs isn't great.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also wanna say that if an upstanding organization like UFC isn't even going to punish it's people for TWO backstage fights, then AEW would be pretty lame to fire anyone.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
It's infinitely more interesting than anything that's been on AEW TV since Mox gave Kenny the Dirty Deeds through a glass coffee table, so...no.
I posted in haste. What's I'm really trying to get across is that I don't trust anything that comes out. Rather than trying to parse through what is true, what's false and what's suspect I'm just casting it off to the side. At least for now.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The fact that AEW’s legal counsel was a witness gives me hope that eventually we will either A. Get an objective account of whatever the hell happened in that room or B. Proof that they were a participant in this idiocy and proof that this company is doomed irreparably!

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
MJF was there the whole time (MJF sharing a room with Punk also tells you Punk's comments on MJF during the press conference were total work):

Dave reports that the company has brought in an independent firm to investigate and do video interviews with everyone in the room, which included all the names mentioned above, as well as many others, including a number of neutral parties who were in the room and were believed to have seen everything as it happened. The key names that would have included were Max “MJF” Friedman and AEW and Jacksonville Jaguars Chief Legal Officer Megha Parekh.
Dave clarifies until the investigation is completed those involved in the fracas were suspended. All long-term decisions regarding anything to do with any of them are pending until completion of the investigation. There still could be outside legal proceedings regarding the fight from different sides. I don’t expect AEW to ever address the specifics of what happened. Depending on the timing or threats of legal action, we don’t know if the key parties will talk. It is believed some want to talk and tell their side of the story when they can.
Dave speculates that the legal threats were likely why Tony Khan did not announce anything regarding any of the talent at the start of the television show past the titles were vacant. The story broke pretty big, but there had to be a large number of viewers hearing that who had no idea what he was talking about, and then got no explanation as the show went on. But that was the only way it could have been handled by that point in time until things were over.
Dave also reports all parties involved were told not to talk about it. There were stories that broke regarding what happened from people not involved but were there and saw or heard about much of it. But as best we can tell, no actual person involved has talked, and the only story we’ve directly gotten was from someone very close to the Punk side.
Dave explains that the stories that have gotten out are so completely different and some things that have gotten out, such as the idea the Young Bucks broke down or kicked down the dressing room door to get at Punk, have been denied even by the Punk side. That side’s explanation was only that they got in the room quickly.
The belief from one witness is that it happened so fast that Omega and the Bucks may not have even realized she was there.
Dave points out that pretty much the only points universally agreed on is that the Bucks came into the room without knocking, both sides were mad, Punk punched Matt, Steel hit Nick with a chair and pulled hair and bit Omega.
One person noted that Punk two weeks ago when he returned said that the press conference after the PPV would be interesting.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
@BruiserBrody starts to make affirmative noise but collapses and starts snoring loudly cause he just worked a 14 hour shift at Wal-Mart
54 hours this week.

With that, I am now seeping into my 2023 quota of posts about AEW. Everyone back to flippy business as usual so I can ignore things again plz.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Everything he said is pathetic. I know CM Punk might be a dick, but god, everything I read from the people against Punk just makes me like him more. If that is the type of shit Punk had to deal wtih I can totally understand how his time in AEW ended up the way it did.