Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in Fall 2022- Spreading lies and bullshit to the media.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh man. I'm loving that Eddie Kingston is a New Girl fan. I'm just imagining him sitting in the back of a car recalling in detail his favorite episodes and talking about his love of Zooey Deschanel while Ruby Soho and Ortiz smile and nod along politely.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Per Sports Illustrated, Kenny Omega, Matt & Nick Jackson, Pat Buck, Christopher Daniels, Michael Nakazawa and Brandon Cutler have been suspended. CM Punk and Ace Steel will be suspended or fired and the final decision will be made before the end of the day. CM Punk met with Tony Khan last night.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fightful is reporting that Malakai Black is gone from AEW.

"
Numerous talent informed is that they've been told that Malakai Black is done with the company for the foreseeable future, with many saying that he got his release. AEW sources claim that the release is highly conditional, which isn't usually the case for the company. Usually, AEW doesn't even release talent outside of disciplinary reasons, and requests for release are done on a case-by-case basis. We're told by many in the company that Tony Khan specifically wanted to retain Black, and hoped to see him as a part of the brand "for years to come." There were efforts to have conversations to salvage the working relationship that AEW believed were fruitful, however we're told that a meeting took place sometime recently and it was decided that if Black wanted out, they should probably allow it.

"

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm wondering how soon after the decision regarding Punk is made, does anything become public WRT suspensions/firings. It's going to be odd as it is that the first show after All Out will be missing your Heavyweight and Trios champions..

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO if Punk was going to be fired their wouldn't still be talk of suspensions for him. We'd already know. He'd probably already be putting the news out himself or AEW would be getting it out to beat him. It'd leak somehow.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Freddie Prinze Jr. weighs in on AEW:

"It's bad there, man. There's no leadership," Prinze Jr. said on the "Wrestling with Freddie" podcast. "He was saying stuff in front of his boss that was making Tony cringe and become this shrinking violet. That's his boss. So there is no leadership backstage. Things have to be a mess back there."

After suggesting that AEW needed to introduce a "wrestlers' court," something that used to be a regular occurrence behind the scenes in WWE to keep talent in check, Prinze Jr. noted that he has a couple of friends working for AEW who indicated to him that "it sucks" backstage, before proposing that the organization needs someone above the EVPs to keep things in order. Prinze Jr. also said that it was bad for Punk to bury his boss the way he did and added that, had he been in Khan's position, he would have shown Punk that he was in charge by ending the scrum before laying down an ultimatum: play ball or be fired.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Punk is getting fired unless Turner/Discovery or whoever oversees the tv/network deal says so. Punk is a way bigger $$$ generator than the Elite.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know the Khan Family are jokes amongst Jacksonville Jaguars fans (all 30 of them) for how poor they are with player relations. Maybe it's the same for fake sports as it is for actual sports.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Per Sports Illustrated, Kenny Omega, Matt & Nick Jackson, Pat Buck, Christopher Daniels, Michael Nakazawa and Brandon Cutler have been suspended. CM Punk and Ace Steel will be suspended or fired and the final decision will be made before the end of the day. CM Punk met with Tony Khan last night.
Wait Daniels?

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Were Daniels and Buck just caught in the crossfire or did they actively take sides and start throwing haymakers? Kind of stinks if they got punished for trying to break this up.

Reminds me of Reggie Miller getting a one game suspension for coming off the bench during the Ron Artest brawl.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I sorta hate how Colt hasn't said anything. Not even a snide passive-aggressive tweet. Something to give the illusion of backbone.

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I would be the same as Colt tbh. Just take a breath and don't get involved. Go about your business.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one on the sidelines has said anything (at least that I've seen) except Eddie on Busted Open Radio and Kazarian who made a generic tweet about how staying out of locker room drama is the best way to extend your career. Considering how loud and outspoken most wrestlers are you'd think someone would add their thoughts but maybe AEW H/R sent out a "DON'T YOU DARE SAY ANYTHING!" memo on Monday.

Although I haven't really seen anyone from WWE or anywhere else say anything either about how so and so is actually misunderstood or how they knew so and so was a huge POS.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Here's a take that I don't see much of, but I've given it some thought. If this is in fact impossible for Page, Bucks, Omega, Punk to work together, what about moving some certain talent over to ROH exclusively just as Cabana got moved?

Part of me wonders if, at least for the time being, you do tonight on Dynamite, Punk "walks out" on AEW playing into all of this, have him also drop the title tonight, setting up whatever at the Grand Slam show to set up a title match with ??? Vs ???. But the idea is not only does he take time off due to an obvious suspension, but he stays gone in AEW until they get a fucking plan together for ROH as a seperate entity. And that's where Punk returns. Build THAT company around him as an old school ROH traditionalist in a sense (which he basically is) who aims to be a true locker room leader, learning from this mess. Move Cabana back to AEW and the Elite members stay there, but demote Omega and Bucks of the EVP titles.

Having Punk be exclusively ROH (at least for now) might open up more opportunities for a deal when u have the arguably biggest draw in the company transfered over there. He can get what he wants out of it too....he can help out up and coming talent, he will likely be respected in that seperate locker room, etc etc.

My main take from the melee? Well first, I thought Punk going into business AGAIN, much less right in front of his boss...was mad disrespect. From indications, he may have even been wrong that the Bucks leaked certain information. He explains often, "If you have a problem come see me." That seems to be exactly what the Bucks and Omega did here. From that point on, I don't know what to think of all of these rumors like ...Bucks knocking down the door, who started the first punch, when did it cross the proverbial line, and what were the roles of the suspended.

Really the only person I feel should be gone is Ace Steel...the rest of the talent are too valuable to let go. Even if you just have to move talent like particularly Punk to ROH you might be able to turn that into a positive to generate interest in a network to take them on. And let the egos cool off....sooner or later I bet this will be smoothed over and Punk will work with these guys eventually, probably sometime next year.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If anyone should be moved to ROH, it should be the Elite!

Super longshot but I really really hope Tony Khan stops making appearances at AEW shows and press conferences for a long time (I'd say permanently but I'm not that optimistic). Him nodding along like a seal while Punk went on his rant is extremely bad optics. He needs to focus on being a boss and not being pro wrestling's #1 cheerleader and fanboy.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
If anyone should be moved to ROH, it should be the Elite!

Super longshot but I really really hope Tony Khan stops making appearances at AEW shows and press conferences for a long time (I'd say permanently but I'm not that optimistic). Him nodding along like a seal while Punk went on his rant is extremely bad optics. He needs to focus on being a boss and not being pro wrestling's #1 cheerleader and fanboy.
Absolutely. Plus he came across as a VERY weak owner when he couldnt even say something to Punk like, "hey this isnt the time" or even, just simply stopping the presser briefly and having a short talk with Punk about all this, or flat out telling Punk he needs to not be involved in it if he can't stop going off. Punk, to me, came off REALLY full of himself and a bitter and self absorbed attitude. Khan's reactions or lack there-of to Punk going off was way concerning, it felt like either he didn't REALLY address this stuff with Punk before, or if he did, Punk was just being completely 110 percent not giving a fuck about the previous reprimand and just once again went into business for himself despite Khan's demand not to. Anyway you slice it, its not really good at all.