Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MMA General Discussion 2020

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

--
We went to Buffalo Wild Wings for the first time in 7+ years for this as our regular UFC bar has failed to staff properly the last 2-3 months and we wound up seeing our waitress long enough to order food and have our bill dropped off hours later. One time I didn't even get the bill and had to go find her so I wouldn't dine and dash.
Anyway, we tossed our money on the table at BWW for our monthly "Fastest victory" pool until the waiter came by and told us we couldn't put money on the table if we were gambling or he would be fired.
BWW was a ghost town compared to our usual hopping UFC bar. Not sure how much of that had to do with Wisconsin enjoying one of our limited nice weekends, if this BWW is too far off the main drag or if the UFC card was too meh to draw a house.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was just coming in here to post that. If he keeps getting away with it, I genuinely fear he might kill a woman some day.
There is also a video out there of him leading the victim by hand into the bathroom.

Staff member
Reaction score
It was cool when Bernard Hopkins and Randy fought their fights as old men but this has turned into shit where everyone fights until their chin is so cracked their head is falling off their shoulders. Guys like Matt Brown are fighting into their 40s. Come on with this.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I thought he got shamed out of taking a final fight. Wouldn’t shock me if he put on a worked fight for a finale.

Staff member
Reaction score
That fight shoulda been stopped at some point, fortunately the fifth round wasn’t too bad but Emmett had a higher chance of dying than winning.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good, violent, main card. Can't say that for too many of them this year.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
That last spot is July, it actually dipped after a slight uptick in May. I don’t know, this guy will always draw when he fights but his time as a real star might be over.

Attachments

• IMG_1746.jpeg
    IMG_1746.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 6

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I remember watching that entire fight thinking something was eventually going to happen. Feel like they just gave it to Severn because it was in Michigan. Fight was kinda unjudgeable.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Too bad the backstory to Shamrock/Severn 2 wasn't known widely for years. Definitely puts things in perspective. I'm not sure this is 100% the case, but in my head that's like the end of Act 1 in my head for the UFC. UFC 10 and onward begins the "dark period" up until 30 or whatever where Dana takes over. Lots of fun fights and some stars in are made in those years, but the first class of UFC stars are gone after 9 for the most part.
Coleman, Kerr, Maurice Smith, Randy Couture all rise, but wind up blips in the UFC world as the money is gone. Tito becomes the guy. Frank Shamrock carries on the Shamrock legacy for a bit.
--
There's still a part of me who wishes Royce Gracie would have stuck it out a few more PPVs. Superfights w/ Frye or Coleman greatly intrigue me. Mentally, you think Coleman would ragdoll him (Meathead Brody does at least), but Royce could exploit the gas tank and drag him into the deep waters until Coleman's meter is empty. (That Royce/Severn fight is one of my favorites from the early days for the commentary banter between Jim Brown's BJJ love and Jeff Blatnick)
Frye had a good wrestling base as well, combined with his boxing skills. but I still don't put it past Royce to find a way.
Even typing that I know in my head that a lot of the Gracie UFC wins were freak shows, bums and hand picked foes. (The 51 year old and the boxer come to mind first).
Hell, I wished for years that Tank/Gracie happened, just because Tank landing one lucky punch and ending the Gracie mystique would have been sort of hilarious historically.

Ruas allegedly withdrew due to annoyance at his Ultimate Ultimate 1995 decision defeat to Oleg Taktarov.

" Ha ha, I won't take the pay day and redeem myself, that'll show'em" I love Ruas' debut too where they hype him up as being like "400 and 0" in street fights or some shit. Pro wrasslin' carny promoting.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Find someone who loves you as much as Jon Anik loves announcing that Trump is in the house..