Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MMA General Discussion 2020

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a more underwhelming title win for a challenger than that one. I think he just has his number, but he will probably get finished by another top guy. I don’t know much about flyweight though, I hate to sound like a casual but anything below 135 is usually too small for me. That was an amazing fight but still, I can’t follow a division regularly with guys that small that almost never have a KO threat.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a more underwhelming title win for a challenger than that one. I think he just has his number, but he will probably get finished by another top guy. I don’t know much about flyweight though, I hate to sound like a casual but anything below 135 is usually too small for me. That was an amazing fight but still, I can’t follow a division regularly with guys that small that almost never have a KO threat.

Division is also pretty shallow compared the other major divisions.

Staff member
Reaction score
The fighters at flyweight just aren't interesting enough or promoted enough. I don't have that problem with boxing though.

Btw man, watch the Ennis fight jesus christ man

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Good/Great show. Main event was sort of meh after all the other action.
Minus points for giving Trump the grand entrance and then giving him one or 2 extra shout outs. I get MMA meat heads are a solid base for him, but UFC should shy away from fascism.
Plus side - our bar seems to have hired servers after months of being a skeleton crew so I was fed a steady flow of beers for 4 hours.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jamahal Hill ruptured his Achilles and dropped the LHW title.

Sucks. I was really looking forward to him and Jiri. I do like that he vacated the title.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Not sure I've ever heard that Frank Shamrock offered to lay down for Kimbo on CBS? I recall he offered to step in for Ken.
I certainly remember that crazy evening/night as my buddy and I watched the card fall apart as I jumped around the internet watching the reaction and trying to figure out who Seth Petrazelli was.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Jesus! I switched over from the WNBA All-Star game at halftime, just in time to see Istela Nunes blow out her elbow; that was sick!

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looks like a pretty fun card tomorrow. Especially since Tony’s in his prime!

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Welp, Pereira missed weight so his fight with Wonderboy is off.

I gotta be honest, I think it was probably the right move by Wonderboy with where he’s at in his career. Sucks though that he went thru a whole camp.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I thought the main card was pretty good until the fight got dropped yesterday.
The Jan fight is good, but Tony and Lewis should not be fighting in the UFC at this point. Kevin Holland has arguably the worst fight IQ:talent ratio and he’s fighting Chiesa who isn’t ever gonna be good at 170. The main event is cool but I think both guys are also past it and have absolutely no shot at being champions at this point.

Crawford/Spence is a generational fight; high level fight iq, skills, conditioning, toughness, etc. I know what I’ll be watching

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Jan fight is good, but Tony and Lewis should not be fighting in the UFC at this point. Kevin Holland has arguably the worst fight IQ:talent ratio and he’s fighting Chiesa who isn’t ever gonna be good at 170. The main event is cool but I think both guys are also past it and have absolutely no shot at being champions at this point.

Crawford/Spence is a generational fight; high level fight iq, skills, conditioning, toughness, etc. I know what I’ll be watching
Wow, what a killjoy lol

I'll have two TVs going

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hoping that late submission made it so it was Tony’s last fight. It’s time. He probably fell on his ass trying to land something more than he actually landed shots.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dustin Poirier pulled on his shorts roughly 30 times (not a joke # I was counting) in less than 6 mins of cage time. Is that his tic I do not recall?

Good to see the Black Beast find the gym and the eye of the tiger.
Once in a while I think UFC should go all the way Pride and book potential squash matches to let some of these guys smash a geek and get over.

Staff member
Reaction score
You can’t charge 80 dollars for squash fights and expect people to pay it. And nobody is watching Fight Night events so that ain’t really an option either.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You can’t charge 80 dollars for squash fights and expect people to pay it. And nobody is watching Fight Night events so that ain’t really an option either.
I guess I was thinking like one on a PPV/ESPN portion every few months to rehab somebody. I don't think fight number 5 on the PPV is generally going to draw the buyrate anyway. I was thinking in cases like Lewis where he is popular but struggling. Really just spitballin' like it is 1997 yet.
The closest we get is late substitutes at times.

I thought we were getting a smash match tonight, as often the fighters without Wikipedia entries tend to be under qualified. Gabriel Bonfim was such a guy today and then he popped up at 14-0 and I was like "Ohhhhh?" and he whooped Giles.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Wait, back up: so Dana White charged people real money for a PPV where the main event was for some bullshit, non-sanctioned gimmick title?

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Wait, back up: so Dana White charged people real money for a PPV where the main event was for some bullshit, non-sanctioned gimmick title?
The title was created in the first place because they had a weak non-title main event with Masvidal vs Diaz. Dustin vs Justin was at least one people really wanted to see.

Jorge kinda lost the title the next four fights after winning it anyway.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
The title was created in the first place because they had a weak non-title main event with Masvidal vs Diaz. Dustin vs Justin was at least one people really wanted to see.
Follow-up question: why did they make a "weak non-title match" the main event of a PPV?