Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MMA General Discussion 2020

Staff member
Reaction score
They think they can sell any piece of crap fight to someone and they're wrong, it's killing the company.

Staff member
Reaction score
i hope you're right but do you have metrics to prove this?
I’m taking a referees test so I’ll post them in a few hours, but the most important thing to tell you the company is going downhill is that they stopped releasing buyrates. If the PPV buys were great they’d be telling everyone how good they were.

Staff member
Reaction score

Despite having what promised to be two of the year’s wildest fights, and delivering on the promise, the television audience wasn’t there for Saturday night’s UFC on FOX 30.

The show did only 1,461,000 viewers on the fast nationals, the lowest number in the history of the show.

UFC Fight Night is a U.S. television program broadcast on ESPN since Saturday, August 6, 2005. UFC Fight Night is watched by a total number of 995,000 people (0.32% rating, up +18% from July 1) as of the daily audience measurement on July 15, 2023

Their audience is consistently shrinking, idk what else to make of it. Shrinking audience, the people left are super hardcore and willing to pay to support the promotion all on their own.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know this could probably go in the UFC sucks thread, but they should have no Apex shows except for TUF & DWCS stuff. There’s 152 arenas in the United States that have a 10,000 seat capacity or higher. If they went to places that haven’t had a show or haven’t had one in 5 years or greater I think they fill them up 75% or higher even for fight nights.

I also think 26 shows a year is just about the right amount. They can still have their late December-mid January gap and have a couple shows on B2B weekends.

I think the last five weeks have been fun cards, but there was almost nothing I wanted to watch from late March until June.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know this could probably go in the UFC sucks thread, but they should have no Apex shows except for TUF & DWCS stuff. There’s 152 arenas in the United States that have a 10,000 seat capacity or higher. If they went to places that haven’t had a show or haven’t had one in 5 years or greater I think they fill them up 75% or higher even for fight nights.

I also think 26 shows a year is just about the right amount. They can still have their late December-mid January gap and have a couple shows on B2B weekends.

I think the last five weeks have been fun cards, but there was almost nothing I wanted to watch from late March until June.

Yeah, I agree. They are run by cheapskates, though, plus there are some dogshit cards that probably wouldn't sell at in-person arenas (Holm/Silva FN) so they stick them at the Apex so they fulfill the live card obligation they have to UFC while still saving money.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. They are run by cheapskates, though, plus there are some dogshit cards that probably wouldn't sell at in-person arenas (Holm/Silva FN) so they stick them at the Apex so they fulfill the live card obligation they have to UFC while still saving money.

Yeah for sure about the cost savings on Apex shows. I think the best short term and worst long term thing for the UFC was having the Apex available at the start of the pandemic.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, I guess he is gonna fight Chito next, which kind of makes sense but doesn't, in the sense that Chito beat him, but I also think Merab and Sandhagen are more deserving.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
The Chito fight is absolutely bullshit but this company is pro wrestling booking so

Great performance by O Malley, and I don’t think Merab will have the easy go of it that people think he will.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Chito fight is absolutely bullshit but this company is pro wrestling booking so

Great performance by O Malley, and I don’t think Merab will have the easy go of it that people think he will.
O'Malley has looked a lot better since that Chito fight and Chito hasn't looked that great, even in victory. Chito is hard to explain, really. Lots of talent, but he never puts it in high gear. Honestly, Sandhagen may be the toughest matchup for O'Malley but he didn't do himself any favors with that last appointment. Honestly, I would have rather seen Chito-Sterling and O'Malley-Sandhagen or Merab with the winners fighting, but like POVY said, this is pro-wrestling booking so good luck trying to decipher it.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
“I have to say they put about $8 million on contract,” Perry said. “I’ll just go ahead and put that out there because f*** them, they’ve got to fight me now because I’m ready to make this money.

Is BKFC really bringing in that much revenue? I’m glad fighters are getting paid and there are alternatives to the UFC but man I just don’t know how popular that shit is.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Meanwhile…

Yeah, that's basically horseshit that a guy can compete as a professional athlete in his sport's premier league and only make slightly more than I do fighting 3 times a year.

I also think companies like Bare Knuckle just use cash from investors to spend, spend, spend, and when the money's gone they go belly-up.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I've been a casual fan of UFC since about 2012, and I can't recall there ever being a title fight on "free" TV; how common is this?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I've been a casual fan of UFC since about 2012, and I can't recall there ever being a title fight on "free" TV; how common is this?
Ever since they expanded to like 10 champs or whatever I can't keep track of weight classes or champs despite watching 99 percent of the PPVs since the Liddell era.
Off hand the only ones I recall are Dos Santos/Cain on Fox 1 and one on some random FS1 show where Dana screamed beforehand "I love putting big fucking fights on free TV!" as they were fighting off EliteXC or one of the other pop up promotions who were running a big show.
I wanna say it was with Dan Henderson soon after jumping from Pride, but I could be way off.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not sure how many people watched it, but Bobby Green got a huge upset and it seems like it's first big win in forever, being on the wrong end of a few close decisions.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
if-anything-is-possible-was-a-person-v0-0w0blolua3xb1.jpg

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
The rating system is completely broken in the first place. Reyes has been knocked out 3 times in a row, and technically lost 4 straight. Shouldn’t be ranked at all. Once someone gets grandfathered into a high ranking it takes forever for them to get out.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And the “top contender” hasn’t fought in 31 months and hasn’t fought any HW in the current UFC Top 15!