Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations and Questions, 2024

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
So much of 2010 to modern day blurs to me but I really feel like I'd remember this more clearly.
Expand that to like 2002 and that's me in a nutshell now.
Brock shows up....blurrrrr...Beniot dies....blurrrr.....Cena wins every match for 15 straight years..... blurrrrr

Last time I tried to run down the history of the WWF tag champs off the top of my head from 1979-2000 I even stumbled. I better dig out my PWI almanacs and get back to school

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A&E Biography is on Sgt. Slaughter this weekend so Brody, tekcop, and company can make fun of me and Bix for being upset over Robert Remus’ stolen valor.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A&E Biography is on Sgt. Slaughter this weekend so Brody, tekcop, and company can make fun of me and Bix for being upset over Robert Remus’ stolen valor.
Take his Christian name out of your mouth and pay proper respect to him.

The man gave himself in sacrifice for you to have the privilege to invoke your coastal elitism.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Lots to digest here. The Dusty fan is either a mental invalid or Kevin Dunn, Corny has a square jawed doppelganger on the opposite side of him, A BULLDOG BROWER shirt(!) and lots of ring rats.
You know how hardcore you have to be into wrestling if you are in middle America and wearing a Jumbo shirt in or abouts 1979-80-81ish?

Jumbo did do a USA tour as a young boy in training, but unless you were deep into the Weston mags or fanzines, you couldn't see him. The VCR of the time was basically a full 2 weeks of wages and then you would need a Japan source who could ship it.

Jumbo Man may or may not be Corny's pal Weasel Doolie. The internet sleuths weren't sure.
--
I'd only watch it if it's 100% kayfabe.
Segment 1 is just B roll of the Tet Offensive as the GI Joe Sgt Slaughter is CGI/AI'd into the footage.
Modern day Sarge breaks down in tears as the Mai Lai Massacre plays out and he's in the plane above trying to land and end the chaos.
Segment 2: Sarge gleefully talks about shooting on Billy Robinson and winning as a trainee
Segment 3: Sarge takes credit for inventing theme music in wrestling
Segment 4: Sarge talks of "the greatest match of all time" at MSG vs Patterson
Segment 5: They blur past his Pro Wrestling USA and AWA time and Brody smashes the TV.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Wrestlers wrestling in shirts when they already wear a full bodysuit or singlet is always weird to me. I forgot that Bam Bam wrestled in a shirt during the last few months of WCW. Even if it was due to weight gain, he already has the bodysuit!

This isn't even about fat shaming. All bodies are welcome in wrestling, dawg.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If ‘00s Bam Bam didn’t start the trend of washed era wrestlers wearing cutoffs or t-shirts over their ring gear then it was definitely the first time I noticed it.

I guess ECW/last WCW run Terry Funk too but it’s hard to call him washed. Plus he at least semi-frequently ended up losing his shirt over the course of the match, which doesn’t normally happen with washed wrestlers wearing a cutoff/t-shirt over their ring gear.

Was wrestling really better in the ‘70s-‘80s though when the masters of the squared circle would wrestle shirtless and expose their deflated but somehow simultaneously enlarged physiques ? @BruiserBrody would say yes.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Dusty beat Terry in working in a t shirt because Dusty was already doing that in 94 and he absolutely fits the washed overweight criteria here.

It worked with Dusty because he generally just worked gimmick matches so it didn’t feel weird.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He would peddle his wares at a local fair every fall so kind of fitting that he passed the same week as Wrestling Superstar Virgil. 86 is a good run.

I kind of regret never talking to him but Idk what I would have said except for “Raising Luna Vachon must’ve been crazy, huh?”

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Didn't even know he was still alive. Shame.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That was the highlight of his career.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
The best part is it was supposed to be a real wedding but Butcher's fiancee broke it off not too long before and they just said "fuck it" and went all in on the camp

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If ‘00s Bam Bam didn’t start the trend of washed era wrestlers wearing cutoffs or t-shirts over their ring gear then it was definitely the first time I noticed it.

I guess ECW/last WCW run Terry Funk too but it’s hard to call him washed. Plus he at least semi-frequently ended up losing his shirt over the course of the match, which doesn’t normally happen with washed wrestlers wearing a cutoff/t-shirt over their ring gear.

Was wrestling really better in the ‘70s-‘80s though when the masters of the squared circle would wrestle shirtless and expose their deflated but somehow simultaneously enlarged physiques ? @BruiserBrody would say yes.
I'm probably forgetting an obvious example, but the Nasty Boys were wrestling in T shirts to hide their fluffy bodies within a year or 2 of debuting.
Kareem Muhammed would wear the camo shirt, but he was also bare chested at times with his flabby body. Again a guy in his prime.
Dory Jr let his flabby old man body be exposed into the 2000s before he finally wore a shirt. IIRC

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Segment 6- He’s fooked/@BruiserBrody smashes TV over them not going into explicit detail about DBS seducing Bruce Hart’s ex wife.
Get that on Darkside so Diana can talking about repeatedly waking up with rectal bleeding and not realizing Neidhart taught DBS to drug his wife so he could have anal sex with her body.

I never quite looked at the 97 Hart Foundation the same way after realizing Bret was teaming with 2 guys raping his sisters.

Your thoughts Nattie?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm probably forgetting an obvious example, but the Nasty Boys were wrestling in T shirts to hide their fluffy bodies within a year or 2 of debuting.
Nasty Boys are in same category as Tommy Dreamer as they always wrestled in t shirts/cutoffs so they weren’t really hiding anything.

Dreamer did have that suspenders with no shirt on matinee idol phase early on though.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Loch Ness too but there is a distinction between wrestlers who are always fat Vs wrestlers who once were shirtless or wore singlets but got really fat and felt the need to cover up.

I smell a little bit of gay around here...

Valeyard

Reaction score
Nah if you're counting Loch Ness, you're counting Haystacks Calhoun. Both Haystacks, I guess. Actually if you want the first guy to wear a shirt, it might be Calhoun.

If you want the guys who got out of shape and wore a shirt, I can see an argument for Dreamer considering he went from the suspenders to the shirt and has fluctuating weight. Same for Raven, honestly, although he bounced back.

Biggest one I can think of anyone doing is when Slaughter went from tights to the Iraqi Khakis in 1991. I don't think anyone but Show has done that.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tommy Rich might have been one of the first examples of old guy who has to keep his shirt on in the ring cause someone told him to keep it on in the pool.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
If you want the guys who got out of shape and wore a shirt, I can see an argument for Dreamer considering he went from the suspenders to the shirt and has fluctuating weight. Same for Raven, honestly, although he bounced back.
IIRC, Raven was the one to suggest that Dreamer wear a shirt, because he had impressive arms but not much definition in his torso, so wearing a tee would accentuate his arms more and hide the bulk. Him getting fat was just a symptom of him getting older.