Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestling audio or podcasts

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Conrad and Foley talking about how Reese/Yeti/Big Ron Studd was almost Flair's last opponent is something I wish got brought up more. Would've been the best.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I don’t always listen to Cornette’s shows, because I don’t always have 9 hours a week for it. So I decided to listen a mashup of his on the Flair podcast, and goddamn, Conrad used to have so much joy doing these shows. You could hear it in his voice; the laughter, and excitement.

Also as I’ve said before from Flair shows. Dude loves gossiping about people in poor health.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conrad used to have so much joy doing these shows. You could hear it in his voice; the laughter, and excitement.

Also as I’ve said before from Flair shows. Dude loves gossiping about people in poor health.
I'd be very surprised if Conrad isn't either dead or back to just working 2-3 podcasts within the next three years. It seems like the AFS Network's bubble is about to burst.

He does still sound mostly joyful on Jeff Jarrett and Mick Foley's podcasts. Which kind of makes sense since they're probably closest to his age?

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
Conrad does seem to be getting more annoyed at Foley's tendency to repeat the same things every week. I get it.

The Pillman episode of Foley was pretty lame. Seemed like 90 or whatever minutes of "We were work friends in WCW and he did drugs" and didn't exactly say anything new.

Also I don't think Marc Mero has come up more in any context since, like, 1998 as much as he has on Foley's.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
JBL and Jerry Brisco’s podcast is killing it IRT guests that aren’t interviewed on most other wrestling podcasts.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Today's BtS features special guest John McAdam and covers a 1988 wrestling fans convention in Memphis.

Kamala and @BruiserBrody : OOOH!

McAdam's podcast was about the SMW Fan Convention this past weekend. Is October "Pre Internet Smark Gatherings Nostalgia Month"?

I guess it makes sense since I feel like a pre IWC smark gathering was very terrifying and filled with ghoulish figures.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Nash again goes into defense of the Kliq this week. Talks of Shawn's nuclear heat.
Then as they talk about the Kliq having an emergency meeting with Vince to talk the roster and business Nash says
"Too many guys were refusing to do clean jobs"

Had I not been sitting, I would have fallen over.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Nash redeems himself 10 mins later by pissing in a water bottle under the desk in the middle of a conversation. He only reveals this when Sean Oliver inquires about his odd stance. He then produces the bottle,

Jake the Snake was not there to drink it.

1 hour 26 mins for those who must see. The new Comic Con themed episode.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It has to be a rib at this point to bring Mero up during Foley's podcast because Conrad thinks it's funny to have him say the exact same thing over and over.

This one on Beyond the Mat isn't as good as I hoped. It feels like Conrad just reading Foley press releases or reviews and Foley sliding back into stories from his book. Maybe this podcast peaked a month ago.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
The Pillman episode felt like such a waste where Foley had nothing to add and Conrad was reading Observer reviews of shows. For Conrad it becomes obvious that scanning back issues is his method of preparation. If you don’t like Meltzer, fine. But then don’t use him as the primary source for your podcast network.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conrad does like Meltzer and he knows it'll rev up the boomer hosts, which apparently the base of listeners for AFS like? Idk. I guess boomers melting down over something some nerd said has more broad appeal than boomer recalling the minutiae of their work life 20-30 years ago.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The best Foley shows are the ones where he hasn't covered everything or has done so in passing. The 1997 stuff, Pillman aside, has been pretty interesting. That being said I'm dreading the fucking Montreal show where we go through how he quit again.

Best part of the current one on Beyond The Mat is by far him just chugging a jar of pickle juice like a real man.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I related too much to him talking about cleaning out his ears and the large balls of gunk that get stuck in there.

KING KAMALA IS HARDCORE!

Valeyard

Reaction score
After finding out Foley and Rude were good friends I kinda want a Rude show. Something different that will not veer into Mero or how Dusty liked his promos or the same stuff he winds up saying. Give me an hour on Rotten Ron Starr.

Conrad reading Foley reviews or whatever doesn't really bother me yet because it's not the regular things yet. I'm dreading when we find out what stars Hell In A Cell or the Austin matches got. At least random shit like the KOTR '97 or something are different. Feels like Conrad has gotten tired of it, though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
After finding out Foley and Rude were good friends I kinda want a Rude show. Something different that will not veer into Mero or how Dusty liked his promos or the same stuff he winds up saying. Give me an hour on Rotten Ron Starr.
Yeah I'd love to hear more about his territory days. Do an Eric Embry episode dag nummit. I'm guessing it does super low numbers but it seems like Conrad loves talking about more obscure stuff on the chances he gets to cover it instead of rehashing the Monday Night Wars for the 727th time.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I mean Foley was literally at the last World Class/first USWA show.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He was also there for the dying days of Continental, which could be another fun episode that only us and Brody would listen to.

Valeyard

Reaction score
As long as the references to him listening to Stan Lane have sex with with a glass against the wall are kept to a minimum.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He hated working Memphis so I'd be into a Memphis show.

More about breaking in with Denucci and Shane Douglas would be nice.

More about AJPW though. He worked Andre and Jumbo, I refuse to believe that he has no story.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There might be some retreads from the DSotR but I'd be down to clown with a Herb Abrams UWF episode if there hasn't been one already.